Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

2 hours ago, SteelCity08 said:

Just measured right under 2.5". All in the past 2 hours. Guess that nam run a few nights ago wasn't too crazy lol. 

I measured about 2.5, maybe close to 2.75 in some areas. I completely missed it falling though, but judging by radar it had to have been heavy snow for at least a while.

1 hour ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Easy. Took the trash out and it's legit plowable snow on the streets already. 

I was caught off guard. Read NWS disucssion yesterday evening and saw no mention other than a light coating so I wasn't anticipating anything to be honest. Maybe they updated later in the evening when short term models picked up but I wasn't paying attention at that point. Woke up and did a double take when I walked past the kitchen window and saw the deck covered, had to run and grab my glasses then check the radar to see wtf went on lol Roads were pretty bad, several cars slid off the road on 28, and looked like an accident involving a port authority bus on Washington Blvd. In terms of impact, right up there with some of the other "storms" this winter for sure.

Goes to show you can't sleep on Winter weather even if the pattern isn't great. Mother nature will get the best of you sooner or later.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Seeing a report close to 5” in Wash county 

Funny how these things come up. Like you said, tracked a storm with 10+ hours invested for 2 inches of snow. Invest next to 0 time and wake up to 2.5 - 3 inches. I wonder if this gets us to our 41.9 for the season. Climate report has us at 38 and change, but not sure if that incorporates what fell overnight or not yet.

In any event, medium range looks pretty lousy, maybe a shot at something this weekend, but after that looks like a pretty big eastern ridge building in. I wouldn't be shocked though if we see models change dramatically in the longer range to a possibly more favorable setup. With the PV split currently taking place that probably leads to greater model volatility. I think March Nina Climo usually dictates one last cold blast too, so combine that with MJO maybe making it out of phase 7, and PV split and there could be a good window for storms end of Feb or early March.

32 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Funny how these things come up. Like you said, tracked a storm with 10+ hours invested for 2 inches of snow. Invest next to 0 time and wake up to 2.5 - 3 inches. I wonder if this gets us to our 41.9 for the season. Climate report has us at 38 and change, but not sure if that incorporates what fell overnight or not yet.

In any event, medium range looks pretty lousy, maybe a shot at something this weekend, but after that looks like a pretty big eastern ridge building in. I wouldn't be shocked though if we see models change dramatically in the longer range to a possibly more favorable setup. With the PV split currently taking place that probably leads to greater model volatility. I think March Nina Climo usually dictates one last cold blast too, so combine that with MJO maybe making it out of phase 7, and PV split and there could be a good window for storms end of Feb or early March.

Its an more spring like pattern, thunderstorms look likely through the next 2 weeks

Despite the random bursting inch this morning, we are about to have our 4th or 5th dud February in a row.  Is this a new normal, or just a matter of small sample size with a run of poor luck?  Will be interesting to see how this stretch compares over the long haul.  I know January is better on average, but February usually isn't far behind.

1 hour ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I think a lot of places made it there locally last night but after driving through Moon this morning I don't think the official total got there. They didn't get hit as bad that way. 

57 minutes ago, SteelCity08 said:

Might have something to track after all. Cmc and euro look interesting for this weekend. 

Yeah, Weekend window has been on the radar for a few runs now, but this is probably the first time the Euro gave us a decent hit.

After that we torch for a few days, don't know if I'd go mid 70s though. I think one more window opens up towards March.

1 hour ago, SteelCity08 said:

Might have something to track after all. Cmc and euro look interesting for this weekend. 

GFS will come around as well. Surface map is not matching the 500mb. The 500 isn't super impressive right now either but certainly at least looks like precip would be present

8 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Yeah, Weekend window has been on the radar for a few runs now, but this is probably the first time the Euro gave us a decent hit.

After that we torch for a few days, don't know if I'd go mid 70s though. I think one more window opens up towards March.

It looks like the GFS is on to the Sat storm.

gfs_asnow_neus_20.png

Archived