Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wanted to try to find which model performed the best for this storm. I found a great site to see an interactive map of the snowfall for the event. Anyone have any guesses on the model that did the best. Maybe we could look into which perfromed the best from 72, 48, 36, 24, and 12 hr before the storm. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 8.15.31 AM.png

1 hour ago, MikeB_01 said:

Wanted to try to find which model performed the best for this storm. I found a great site to see an interactive map of the snowfall for the event. Anyone have any guesses on the model that did the best. Maybe we could look into which perfromed the best from 72, 48, 36, 24, and 12 hr before the storm. 

Now that is infuriating, but not unexpected. 

37 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Now that is infuriating, but not unexpected. 

Now that I am looking at this map, did anyone in northern  AGC pick up 6-8?

To answer my earlier question, 3k NAM nailed this one. The Euro was way to amped and widespread. Might have to start giving the NAM a little more credit. 

17 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

To answer my earlier question, 3k NAM nailed this one. The Euro was way to amped and widespread. Might have to start giving the NAM a little more credit. 

Yeah I'd be curious to know how much places like mars and cranberry received. 

29 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

I would suspect that one report of 8.5" in Harmony.  The source was Twitter and we had at least one inch of old snow on the ground around here.  I could see an untrained person sticking a ruler in the grass on that one.  A trained spotter close by in Zelienople reported 6".

2 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

It has me right on the edge of 4-6 and 6-8" but I only got about 2.5. I passed through Moon/Hopewell area and they def weren't much higher than what I got here. So not too sure about the legitimacy of that map. Did anyone see an official total yet? I saw 2.5 posted earlier but wasn't sure. 

1 minute ago, SteelCity08 said:

It has me right on the edge of 4-6 and 6-8" but I only got about 2.5. I passed through Moon/Hopewell area and they def weren't much higher than what I got here. So not too sure about the legitimacy of that map. Did anyone see an official total yet? I saw 2.5 posted earlier but wasn't sure. 

KPIT official was 2.5

6 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

has me in the 6-8" and on the edge of 8-12 (also on the edge of 4-6) so i was in the battle zone.

I had maybe 3" if that.

1 hour ago, Rd9108 said:

Btw MJO is trying it's best to get to phase 8 but it's just stuck right on the border of 7 and 8. This may keep the trough too far west but this may also prevent costals that jackpot the I95.

Good point, sometimes I can live with a brief start as rain changing to snow, as opposed to a complete miss to the east.

1 hour ago, 2001kx said:

has me in the 6-8" and on the edge of 8-12 (also on the edge of 4-6) so i was in the battle zone.

I had maybe 3" if that.

Surprising that this is so far off. The map comes from the interactive panel on the NOHRSC. I wonder if it is based on radar estimations instead of actual storm reports?

4 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

Btw MJO is trying it's best to get to phase 8 but it's just stuck right on the border of 7 and 8. This may keep the trough too far west but this may also prevent costals that jackpot the I95.

Yes this is a great point. Maybe that blend between 7 and 8 runs an avenue right where we need it? :thumbsup:

Last nights new run of the EPS weeklies, doesn't dismantle the eastern ridge until mid march. I'd feel better if the ridge was slightly further east and out over the atlantic. Then i feel like we would at least have an active pattern in which we could maybe get a good storm track. No only does the ridge look solidly over us, not surprisingly it looks average for precipitation.

The great February pattern that was supposed to develop is clearly poof into the wind.  At this point, I think we'll be generally lucky to get snow chances in March, but it's not impossible.  A lot of the modeling right now is all over the place because of a SSW event that is throwing a wrench into the gearbox.  I imagine we'll have a better idea of things after next weekend.

A shame we couldn't get that pattern from early winter (December) to hold on all season long.  Could have made for some really interesting weather.

Archived