Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

8 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I'm with you on this, in the "off winter" months I will tune in to get quick summary for what to expect the next few days on occasion, but during winter I feel between NWS discussions / Obs and discussions here / and all the tools available I am better prepared for what to expect, and I enjoy doing it so it's win win.

I watch Harbough on 11 in the mornings.  If anything he is enthusiastic about the weather.  I like their live coverage of severe weather in the warmer months.   But, I rely on internet sources 90% of the time. 

Currently it's sleeting at 29.  There is an 1/8" of ice on everything.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Rd9108 said:

Less to shovel atleast. I'm over this winter though. Our luck right now is insanely bad, we literally cannot catch a break. 

Do you remember the January storm where it looked like up till a day before it was going to be 2 inches, then ended up getting 6-8????

Well I tried to be optimistic but it didn't work. Picked up 2 inches of snow before the changeover and never saw any of it fall. I thought we would get more sleet. Sometimes when you get more sleet it has a better chance of switching back to snow. I heard sleet around 6:00 am but it only seemed to last about 10 minutes. The freezing rain is just steady now and even seems to be getting heavier. We will have to watch as the trees are glazing up rather quickly. (Hopefully no power outages)

4 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Do you remember the January storm where it looked like up till a day before it was going to be 2 inches, then ended up getting 6-8????

It was more like 5 or 6, but yes I do. However, the models are especially bad this year. I bet we get a couple more chances of something significant but we have a few days off of tracking for now. 

5 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Well I tried to be optimistic but it didn't work. Picked up 2 inches of snow before the changeover and never saw any of it fall. I thought we would get more sleet. Sometimes when you get more sleet it has a better chance of switching back to snow. I heard sleet around 6:00 am but it only seemed to last about 10 minutes. The freezing rain is just steady now and even seems to be getting heavier. We will have to watch as the trees are glazing up rather quickly. (Hopefully no power outages)

Yea, it stinks..overall though white Christmas, and the January storm was a better storm than anything we had in the last 3-4 winters.

also, this hasn’t been as painful because we haven’t been watching the mid Atlantic get 3 twenty inch storms.

2 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Yea, it stinks..overall though white Christmas, and the January storm was a better storm than anything we had in the last 3-4 winters 

White christmas was great, but once we get past Christmas I want atleast one big storm. We can't even buy a 8-12 storm. 

Picked up 3 inches about 3/10 inch of ice, everything is glazed over the trees, power lines are dangling. The temp is right at 32 degrees here, so nothing has melted the water content made the snow wet and that's it. With this back edge coming in soon, another inch or two couldn't be ruled out. Wet snow on top of ice could cause some damage

1 hour ago, north pgh said:

My optimism failed as well. Short range models definitely out performed this one. I feel like the NAM has been getting better. Not sure on its verification, but It has done well with mulitple storms lately.

Anyway I am currently dealing with more Freezing Rain. 

My mom in Youngstown sent me a a video from last night and this morning.  It was absolutely thumping and then she has about 6 in on the ground from what i could tell #jealous 

1 minute ago, Rd9108 said:

3cc3ag5.jpg

Were looking towards more showers and thunderstorms in this coming period, even though i had thundersnow twice this past couple days

Had some extremely heavy snow in the past 15 minutes near Tarentum and New Kensington, had freezing rain for the past hour or so prior. Had some tree damage up in the hills

1 hour ago, JPOracle said:

The 0.75 inch of ice report in Elizabeth PA is quite impressive but not surprising

I personally think someone measured sleet and frz rain together and called it ice.

.75 of true freezing rain is pretty catastrophic. The second highest report I saw was .40. That area is also in traditional mon valley screw zone that warms up quickly. 

34 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

I personally think someone measured sleet and frz rain together and called it ice.

.75 of true freezing rain is pretty catastrophic. The second highest report I saw was .40. That area is also in traditional mon valley screw zone that warms up quickly. 

maybe 1/2 inch of ice, and 1/4 inch of sleet on top of it, maybe that's what happened there, but that area stayed in the freezing rain area for quite a few hours too

I went to go get a can of Copenhagen just now, and slid all over the place. 2wd Ford F-150, fTW.
I had a 2wd Ranger that got stuck in the blizzard of 2010. It was stuck for 3 days before a tow truck was finally able to pull it out. My next truck was most definitely going to be 4wd after that and that's what I have now. Of course, we haven't had a "big storm" since, but it's still good to have. I've used the 4wd on occasion.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, blackngoldrules said:

I had a 2wd Ranger that got stuck in the blizzard of 2010. It was stuck for 3 days before a tow truck was finally able to pull it out. My next truck was most definitely going to be 4wd after that and that's what I have now. Of course, we haven't had a "big storm" since, but it's still good to have. I've used the 4wd on occasion.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I have a 2011 328i with awd, and it's crap in the snow. Older Subarus are the best.

Archived