Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Burghblizz said:

GFS is odd to me with the P types. Thought the overall evolution looked slightly better, with more robust QPF....but it winds up with a crippling ice storm.

Not sure we know anything more than 2 hours ago. Time to set a 5:00 AM alarm and see what happens 

Agreed. Let's hope we wake up to a surprise. Good luck!

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
1144 PM EST Tue Feb 6 2018

PAZ016-021-022-071245-
/O.UPG.KPBZ.WW.Y.0008.180207T0700Z-180207T2300Z/
/O.EXA.KPBZ.WS.W.0002.180207T0700Z-180207T2300Z/
Jefferson-Allegheny-Armstrong-
Including the cities of Punxsutawney, Brookville,
Pittsburgh Metro Area, Kittanning, and Ford City
1144 PM EST Tue Feb 6 2018

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation expected. Total snow
  accumulations of 2 to 6 inches and ice accumulations of around
  one tenth of an inch are expected. Significantly more snow and
  ice is expected in the northwestern portion of each county than
  the southeastern portion.

* WHERE...Jefferson, Allegheny and Armstrong Counties.

* WHEN...Until 6 PM EST Wednesday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on difficult travel conditions,
  including during the morning commute on Wednesday. Be prepared
  for significant reductions in visibility at times.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of snow, sleet
and ice will make travel very hazardous or impossible. Please
report snow or ice by calling 412-262-1988, posting to the NWS
Pittsburgh Facebook page, or using Twitter @NWSPittsburgh

&&

$$

Well that was interesting drive in.... Contemplated taking the day off, but ended up making the drive in, and probably good I did. Left home and it was 27 degrees and heavy snow, got to work and it is 30 degrees and moderate freezing rain. It was odd seeing the heavy snow rapidly change to sleet, could hear the pingers hitting the car, then suddenly after driving a little further South it was just straight zr. Probably won't be long until plain rain here.

Just now, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Well that was interesting drive in.... Contemplated taking the day off, but ended up making the drive in, and probably good I did. Left home and it was 27 degrees and heavy snow, got to work and it is 30 degrees and moderate freezing rain. It was odd seeing the heavy snow rapidly change to sleet, could hear the pingers hitting the car, then suddenly after driving a little further South it was just straight zr. Probably won't be long until plain rain here.

Its amazing how much elevation changes occur from New Ken southward.  The mountain going to Penn Hills and Plum is likely super horrible right now

8 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

It appears the backend is approaching Columbus, so hopefully the painful radar watching  won’t last much past noon. Lol

Congrats though to the north and west crew. 

It's going to be interesting to see the snow fall map of this storm once it's over. I have a sneaking suspicion that if you could overlay the storm totals over the past 3 years for the bigger storms you would see a pretty narrow band bisecting Allegheny / Westmoreland that really has been fringed in just about all directions after this one is all said and done.

1 minute ago, TeaysValleyWV said:

As of 6:30 AM 2.7" new snow, heavy big flakes are hissing as they hit the ground.  I haven't heard that sound in a long time.  Feels like it could sleet at any time.  26 degrees.   0.32" melted liquid.

You have a decent shot and pulling out 6+ from this one in Cranberry I would think,

Straight freezing rain in Bethel. Roads are a slushy mess and a little icy but nothing my 4wd couldn't handle. I think maybe I picked up close to an inch of snow before it turned to freezing rain. The way the temps have really jumped up here, won't be surprised if this ends up being plain rain shortly. This had high bust potential going into it, especially here, thanks to that infamous wtod. Not surprised at all after dealing with a lot of these types of storms over the years.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

A forecast of 1-10” for Allegheny county could have been accurate - lol.

Great NWS discussion this morning....especially noting that the “messaging” would be “difficult”

I also caught part of Ch 2 this morning. I know we pick on JV (rightfully so), but the newer black guy on there this morning had a great presentation. Did a good job of illustrating the variability, which is always tough for people to understand. 

Looking like the Hi-Res NAM and short range models really nailed how this was going to play out. GFS and Euro were a bit colder and slower with the WAA, but 3K NAM had been adamant for quite awhile were the rain / snow line would setup. Sucks cause we missed a really nice snow storm by a very small margin here, but then what else is new.

38 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Dang, well that leaves little hope for anyone else. Really a shame we didn't have a better positioned high pressure to the North for this one.

I'll admit I didn't take into account the northern stream system passing to our north, helping to pull in just enough warm air aloft to affect our snow amounts.

3 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Ron Smiley is his name....now that Bowman is retired, he could be a better source. 

I don’t watch TV Mets much since the old school guys retired and there are infinitely more tools now. But happened to catch it this morning because I was curious how things played out condition-wise. 

I'm with you on this, in the "off winter" months I will tune in to get quick summary for what to expect the next few days on occasion, but during winter I feel between NWS discussions / Obs and discussions here / and all the tools available I am better prepared for what to expect, and I enjoy doing it so it's win win.

Archived