Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

15 minutes ago, Mailman said:

GFS making things interesting for the weekend.

Even though the precip looks better on GFS, the vort still looks pretty weak. Hardly organized at all. Euro has been south and even weaker for the storm. Very curious to see if it makes a move to the NW like the GFS has done over the last few runs. If the GFS shows the continued trend and the Euro starts to come along, it will definitely be something to watch over the next few days

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like we are entering a busy period starting this weekend with multiple chances for snow. So far though the trend is progressive so I think in order for us to get a good storm it's gonna have to be overrunning and not some amped up low that tracks perfectly. 

7 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

Looks like we are entering a busy period starting this weekend with multiple chances for snow. So far though the trend is progressive so I think in order for us to get a good storm it's gonna have to be overrunning and not some amped up low that tracks perfectly. 

Yeah, nothing major, but enough activity to possibly reach climo by mid month. 

Then we have another month or so to score a big storm.

3 hours ago, JPOracle said:

We could honestly score a big storm this next coming week. Its look like multiple snow chances this next week.  Sunday doesn't look amped but still looks like a potential 6 inch storm if things come together right

Sunday and Tuesday. Let's hope we can score at least one big snow.:snowwindow:

13 hours ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Yeah, nothing major, but enough activity to possibly reach climo by mid month. 

Then we have another month or so to score a big storm.

Agree, I don't see a single threat that looks bigger or better than another. Just several opportunities rolling through, but any one could end up being a more moderate type storm for us with good tracking \ timing. I think a lot of these shots will be flawed, ie, rain to snow or snow to rain scenarios.

One thing I don't like is the GFS has been slowly moving the H5 features around which is leading to the trough axis almost to far to the west. I'm thinking this is in response to the MJO forecast. Seems like it is going to spend a lot of time in phase 7, which favors warmth in the east. Wouldn't be to concerned but some models starting to show it not making it into phase 8, and convection re-firing further west, so don't be surprised if you start to see a loop in phase 7 on the RMM plots. Roundy plots look a bit better with an eventual move to 8-1 albeit with it weakening along the way. It will be interesting to see how this all evolves over the next few days. Oh, and just to throw another variable in GFS keeps advertising a split in the PV, pretty far out in time but not a bad thing if it were to happen.

Overall through the first 7-10 days of Feb the storm track should favor more inland, just gotta hope it's not to far inland.

1 hour ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Agree, I don't see a single threat that looks bigger or better than another. Just several opportunities rolling through, but any one could end up being a more moderate type storm for us with good tracking \ timing. I think a lot of these shots will be flawed, ie, rain to snow or snow to rain scenarios.

One thing I don't like is the GFS has been slowly moving the H5 features around which is leading to the trough axis almost to far to the west. I'm thinking this is in response to the MJO forecast. Seems like it is going to spend a lot of time in phase 7, which favors warmth in the east. Wouldn't be to concerned but some models starting to show it not making it into phase 8, and convection re-firing further west, so don't be surprised if you start to see a loop in phase 7 on the RMM plots. Roundy plots look a bit better with an eventual move to 8-1 albeit with it weakening along the way. It will be interesting to see how this all evolves over the next few days. Oh, and just to throw another variable in GFS keeps advertising a split in the PV, pretty far out in time but not a bad thing if it were to happen.

Overall through the first 7-10 days of Feb the storm track should favor more inland, just gotta hope it's not to far inland.

Could be a bit frustrating at times with the rain/snow line, as our climo comes in to play more. But at least it's not a cold suppressed pattern.

That sunday morning timeframe still looks interesting, although the NWS hasn't given it more than a general sidenote, so we'll see.

It seems like the next 2 storms are going to have us dealing with the warm tongue. It doesn’t seem we have had to worry about that as much in the last couple of years. Looks like Sunday and Tuesday could be the slop storms that seemed common several years ago.

22 minutes ago, dj3 said:

It seems like the next 2 storms are going to have us dealing with the warm tongue. It doesn’t seem we have had to worry about that as much in the last couple of years. Looks like Sunday and Tuesday could be the slop storms that seemed common several years ago.

Still days away. I'm not believing any solution until 24 hours out. 

35 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Still days away. I'm not believing any solution until 24 hours out. 

Same, i look at the trends and not what its showing at this point.   2 days ago the NAM was having us under wet snow today,  now its going to be atleast 50 degrees on the HRRR today. But i like the Sunday storm more then the mid week storm at this point

Looking good for an inch or less overnight. Then a storm to track Sunday and Tuesday. Borderline mixing issues but trending in our favors. I'm guessing a minimum of 2-4 for each storm and a possibility of more. One storm at a time. It would be nice to have snow falling all day Sunday as I have no traveling. 

7 hours ago, north pgh said:

Looking good for an inch or less overnight. Then a storm to track Sunday and Tuesday. Borderline mixing issues but trending in our favors. I'm guessing a minimum of 2-4 for each storm and a possibility of more. One storm at a time. It would be nice to have snow falling all day Sunday as I have no traveling. 

One more thing in our favor, is the lack of a strong SE surface wind. Although the S and SW wind on Sunday isn't ideal, with 850's likely staying below freezing, we should hold on to the snow a bit longer. I guess we'll see about Tuesday later on this weekend.

That SE wind has killed our snow amounts too many times over the years. smh

36 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

One more thing in our favor, is the lack of a strong SE surface wind. Although the S and SW wind on Sunday isn't ideal, with 850's likely staying below freezing, we should hold on to the snow a bit longer. I guess we'll see about Tuesday later on this weekend.

The warm tongue is a mystery and something that forever plagues us. 

56 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Yeah the down sloping off the ridges can really wreak havoc. Good point it won't be an issue this time around.

We trended a little colder on  the 12Z GFS for Sunday. Looks like a general 1-3 event South to North. Next Tuesday scares me because we are in the bulls eye and you know what it means to be in the bulls eye this far out. Would be nice if it holds. Tuesday could be our biggest storm in a while. 

BTW that lake effect streamer is setting up and I am getting some decent snow here now. 

Just to throw this off topic for one second and then back to tracking and snow talk. Just out of curiosity, what do you guys have for weather stations? I'm looking for something that won't break the bank, but still gives accurate info. I've really struggled to find one that does that. I recently got an Ambient WS-11. Has an outdoor temp and humidity sensor. I live in an apartment, so I don't need the rain or wind gauges. Anyway, this particular model you can calibrate everything if something is off. Problem I'm having is, no matter how much I calibrate it, it still ends up reading too low or too high for the outdoor temps and by quite a bit. Anyway, just curious what you local guys use here.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Archived