Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

From KPIT

".SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY/... The trailing cold front will slowly move through the area tonight as it out runs its upper level support. Light snow will overspread the entire region overnight. Models are hinting that a thin band of more enhanced snowfall could develop ahead of the cold front with the passage of an upper jet in the southwest flow aloft and increasing low-level moisture convergence. However, at this time, there is disagreement on where this band may develop. This is something that can be addressed once the hires models get a look at it."

Depending on where that band sets up, I think we can end up on the high end of the snow totals. Just by looking at some of the models this morning, HRRR looks like it sets up well, while the Nam almost skips up entirely. 

Will be watching the Water vapor imagery today as well as t he 500 mb wind. If those can line up well, I think we see 3. 

Looking like a general 2-3, maybe a jackpot of 4 if everything lines up perfectly but would be a very narrow area of potential. 

HiRes modeling still indicating that band sets up a little north of us. Looks like it goes right through youngstown and the counties north of Pit, Lawrence and Mercer. Based on some current Meso analysis and watching the radar I would think that band sets up a little further south of there. 

32 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

HiRes modeling still indicating that band sets up a little north of us. Looks like it goes right through youngstown and the counties north of Pit, Lawrence and Mercer. Based on some current Meso analysis and watching the radar I would think that band sets up a little further south of there. 

Like cranberry gibsonia areas get the big band?

9 minutes ago, Longdong said:

Like cranberry gibsonia areas get the big band?

Call it a hunch. I'm not even sure I have any reason to back it up. Ive just been watching where the strongest 700mb winds are and I am picking the spot right in the middle. I would say a little north of there. Beaver, Zelienople, Elwood city... That area I would put my money on

14 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Call it a hunch. I'm not even sure I have any reason to back it up. Ive just been watching where the strongest 700mb winds are and I am picking the spot right in the middle. I would say a little north of there. Beaver, Zelienople, Elwood city... That area I would put my money on

Yeah looks just north of Allegheny county. Maybe even the northern tier of the county. 

38 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Yeah looks just north of Allegheny county. Maybe even the northern tier of the county. 

I agree and then overnight the southern parts line up from Westmoreland and Southern Allegheny Counties. It's almost like a thunderstorm line that fizzles and then reforms after it passes us. 

1 minute ago, stjbeautifulday said:

How come no advisory for this clipper??  Is it that it is snowing for too long and not enough snow per hour?

Right....usually have to have a county average of 4” in a 12 hour period.....but there seems to be some flexibility with that especially early/late season and combined with other elements 

I don't know why people aren't posting but the front seems to be slowing down and it looks like we will have light snow riding along it almost all day tomorrow. It only looks like 2 inches or so but it looks like it snows into the late afternoon tomorrow instead of ending in the morning. Not a lot but it will be fun to see snow in the air most of the day. Am I wrong? 

14 minutes ago, north pgh said:

I don't know why people aren't posting but the front seems to be slowing down and it looks like we will have light snow riding along it almost all day tomorrow. It only looks like 2 inches or so but it looks like it snows into the late afternoon tomorrow instead of ending in the morning. Not a lot but it will be fun to see snow in the air most of the day. Am I wrong? 

Not wrong but I'm waiting for the big daddy. 

Archived