Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I know next to nothing about this, but this HAS to be a deform band. I went out 30 minutes ago and my tracks are nearly gone already. 

It has to be at least 1 inch an hour rates. I remember the models the last couple days having the majority of the snow between midnight and 4:00 am and this seems to be it. At these rates should get at least 4 maybe 5 inches when it is done. Just as forecasted.

It has to be at least 1 inch an hour rates. I remember the models the last couple days having the majority of the snow between midnight and 4:00 am and this seems to be it. At these rates should get at least 4 maybe 5 inches when it is done. Just as forecasted.

And I would be a very happy weenie

Just now, north pgh said:

I’d say I’m getting an inch an hour rates right now pretty easily. 

County airport is reporting heavy snow and 36 MPH gusts which are blizzard conditions lol. 

Also, it looks like we aren’t dry slotting.

I’d say I’m getting an inch an hour rates right now pretty easily. 
County airport is reporting heavy snow and 36 MPH gusts which are blizzard conditions lol. 

Also, it looks like we aren’t dry slotting.

When I went out with the weather flow I had sustained of 18 and a gust of 27. It was pretty intense with how hard it was snowing too

Have switched over to pretty much all snow over here in Altoona on the other side of the heavy precip blob. Really rimed snowflakes, the stuff that sounds like sleet hitting the windows. Surface temps are struggling to get below freezing (about 34ºF now), so need to work on that a bit to get some accums going and try to salvage as much as possible while the goings good with good precip around. Am a bit worried about getting slotted, but HRRR has been maintaining some lingering deform til about 12z here so will see how things go. 

16 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

The wind is a lot more feisty than I would have expected it. Some fairly sizable ice pellets mixed in with big cottonball flakes now with the heavy precip echoes overhead and it sounds like my north and west windows are getting sandblasted haha. 

It stings a bit if they get you in the face lol

Snow is very bad for sleep. Looks like 4 or 5" with a little bit to go. Maybe we can hit 6" before it wraps up. 

Bad for sleep indeed. I’m making coffee soon.

I haven’t been out to measure since about 2:30. I was over 3 then and we’ve had some decent bands go thru.4-6 for the area is a good call I think

5 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

That was a nice thump! Just needed it to close off and we really would have been in business

Interested to see how the roads are in a bit with the freezing rain and sleet prior, and not plummeting temps. Wouldn’t figure to be easy to deal with

I just called my boss and said I can't work. They plowed our parking lot and there's a big pile of snow right in front of my truck now. When I climbed over that to get to my truck, I couldn't get the door open. Layer of ice with snow on top of that. Temps in the teens and dropping. They don't pay me enough to go out in this. Hate to burn a personal day so early in the year but don't have a choice.

I measured 6.5" averaged as of 7AM, llot of drifting.  Still light snow falling, 14F.

What a 24 hour weather period, 60F at noon with rain, 25 degree drop in minutes, to freezing rain by 6PM, to sleet at 7PM, to snow at 10PM.

My storm numbers: 7AM to 7AM

6.5" new snow(0.39" Liquid)

0.25" Sleet

0.1" Ice

0.48" rain

0.87" Total Precip (rain, ice, sleet and snow)

3.35" Total liquid over 2 days

Its too difficult to take any accurate measurements because of near blizzard conditions.  But we picked up minimal ice/sleet  maybe an .1 or so combo, then mostly heavy snow, there was some thunder and lightning in it, as i sat in the garage and smoked a cigar and watched it.   So i would say 8-12 inch strip likely went through here.   Areas up in Butler picked up up to 18 inches but had minimal winds in spots up there near Saxonburg, it was weird

The other insane story that happened was, around 2:30 PM,  a small rotating shower along that temp shift.  A huge wall cloud went over the valley with small vortices and winds went from 0 mph to 50 mph to 0 mph, on my neighbors sensors.  He has a big fish tank in his basement.  his pet Bull Shark jumped up when he feeding it, i think the pressure change scared it and jumped and bit him on the leg.   Lot of stuff was blown around, our snow man scarecrow thing was thrown 100 feet into the air and landed 100 yards away.   But the EMS came up for both an shark attack and storm damage.   So it technically was an sharknado. Then they threw shark in the creek so its likely down in the river dead somewhere.

One of weirdest tales i can think of weather related locally

3 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Taking a break from shoveling. It's cold out there :shiver:

It's tough to measure with the drifting. I have 3 inch spots and 6 inch spots so I'll go 4.5 pretty safe call.

It is impossible to tell, but just looking at other observations from around me I’d say I likely got 6.

KPIT ended with 6.3! We finally got a 6+ storm!! I think changing over 2 hours early really saved us. 

Archived