Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

1 minute ago, MikeB_01 said:

Here is pivotal weathers nam. 3 in. Seems to me like something is wrong with TT on that run. Not really sure though

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 9.42.13 AM.png

Those numbers on the second maps look MUCH more in line with what the actual run was showing. It didn’t look like more that .3-.4 qpf after changing over.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a different look to Levi's maps on TT. He came out with a statement a few weeks ago that the 10:1 snow maps had some sort of error in them. I used the positive snow depth for this one. Seems more inline with the other sites. I think the NWS estimate of 3-6 is still a good one. Maybe some people north get 7 or 8. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 9.50.35 AM.png

the one with the 8" includes sleet.  dont think the others do.

Mixing is going to bring our numbers down.  Dont see any way around that.

Think more significant issue is going to be serious ice issues.  My yard never floods, has 1" of standing water in it.  There are sheets of water flowing across roads everywhere.  Going to be a mess later.

1 minute ago, MikeB_01 said:

General question: 

We have watched our totals drop and some of it is due to sleet. Any merit to the ideas that the storm is moving  faster or just simply less amped or a combo of both? 

It's looking like the changeover is taking longer on the models cutting down totals. So more sleet for us. Plus the NAM is always all jacked up on totals. 

Just now, MikeB_01 said:

Sorry, the quote from the WPC didn't come in. Here it is.

Try one more time:

THE 12Z ECMWF CONTINUES TO REPRESENT THE SLOWER END OF MODEL SPREAD WITH A SLIGHTLY STRONGER SURFACE LOW. GIVEN THE PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED SPREAD IN ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEMBERS (WITH QUITE A FEW AT THAT INTENSITY AND/OR SLOWER THAN THE ENSEMBLE MEAN)...WOULD PREFER TO MAINTAIN THE ECMWF IN THE PREFERENCE.

47 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Seeing some very weird things from the models from different sources. COD's page shows the NAM at about 3 inches. Yet TT shows a good swath of 8... Im confused.

Not sure, but those TT maps have the *Includes Sleet* on the map. I'm guessing that means it either adds sleet amount to your totals, or more likely it counts sleet precip as snow. That would make sense given we see .1 .2 of sleet, then on top of that just assume its a 10:1 ratio, which it won't and I can see how it would be spitting out 6-8 inch totals.

9 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

12zGFS pretty inline with NAM. 3-5 for AGC. :(

Isn't that inline pretty much with what it's been showing. I looped through several previous runs and while there were a couple earlier in the week or last week that showed a huge hit, most were in the 2-4 variety, and some were worse. This setup is primed for big bust potential though in either direction. Someone could get lucky and see 6-8 or wake up to a coating. on top of a quarter inch of sleet.

2 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Isn't that inline pretty much with what it's been showing. I looped through several previous runs and while there were a couple earlier in the week or last week that showed a huge hit, most were in the 2-4 variety, and some were worse. This setup is primed for big bust potential though in either direction. Someone could get lucky and see 6-8 or wake up to a coating. on top of a quarter inch of sleet.

I've been conditioned to the later. In thinking the changeover takes forever and we get 3 inches on top of a bunch of sleet and ice. 

2 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

You are correct. What is wrong with 3-5? People you should know better than to get yourself hyped up for the highest totals.

Here is what I see. NAM and GFS show 3 inches south and east to 5 inches to the north and west. The Canadian is showing 4 inches to the west and 5-7 inches to the south and east. The Canadian looks like it shows a quicker change to snow while the heavy stuff is here and not as much sleet.

That saying it is NOWCAST TIME. The models aren't sure about totals because they are not sure about precip types. We will not know what we get till the precip gets here and changes over. I am looking for an inch or 2 of sleet followed by 3-4 inches of snow OR 4-8 inches of snow. "I WILL TAKE THIS STORM ANYTIME". Time to stay up late and enjoy it. It will all be over by morning anyway and we will be in a shoveling and chipping ice in a deep freeze. :snowwindow:

1 minute ago, north pgh said:

You are correct. What is wrong with 3-5? People you should know better than to get yourself hyped up for the highest totals.

Here is what I see. NAM and GFS show 3 inches south and east to 5 inches to the north and west. The Canadian is showing 4 inches to the west and 5-7 inches to the south and east. The Canadian looks like it shows a quicker change to snow while the heavy stuff is here and not as much sleet.

That saying it is NOWCAST TIME. The models aren't sure about totals because they are not sure about precip types. We will not know what we get till the precip gets here and changes over. I am looking for an inch or 2 of sleet followed by 3-4 inches of snow OR 4-8 inches of snow. "I WILL TAKE THIS STORM ANYTIME". Time to stay up late and enjoy it. It will all be over by morning anyway and we will be in a shoveling and chipping ice in a deep freeze. :snowwindow:

Not to complain, but I am sick of our storms capping at 3-5 inches. 

2 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Wonderfully said. Time to Nowcast. 

Archived