SnowHabit
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, TeaysValleyWV said:

6z GFS comes back East a little, lol.

Right now GFS seems to be on the eastern edge of the envelope of guidance, Euro, UKIE, and GGEM are all to far west so needless to say I'm not a big fan of the trends in guidance over night. Today's 12z runs should start to tighten up the goal posts though as we will be closing in on 72 hours for the main features that will set this up. Would suck to see a storm miss us to the NW after all the near misses to the SE recently, but if one area is more damned than us it's probably central Ohio so I could at least live with it if they got a big one.

Looking at the euro ensembles from last night in the lakes/ov forum snowfall is way west of us on pretty much every member. Gfs has been surprisingly consistent for several runs so I am hoping it can score a victory here. Let’s hope today we can get some good trends. 

22 minutes ago, JPOracle said:

Conditions look favorable for an low cape/high shear event Thursday locally,  80 to 100 kt low level shear, and MU CAPE above 500 j/kg in pockets near Pittsburgh. The snow melt is going to boost instability.  Environment looks favorable for strong tornadoes

Go away troll

4 minutes ago, dj3 said:

Maybe it’s a good sign that the nam isn’t way west at this point? Looking for any positives to hang my hat on lol.

Yeah I checked the 12z and it closes off at 500, probably would keep it from taking a strong turn to the North. Didn't see that on the GFS though so might just be NAM out in candy land range.

1 minute ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Yeah I checked the 12z and it closes off at 500, probably would keep it from taking a strong turn to the North. Didn't see that on the GFS though so might just be NAM out in candy land range.

It seems like even the eps is showing a more west to east trajectory after making it to Kentucky/West va. 

2 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Energy for this storm is still in the northern pacific south of alaska. Long way to go. Models will go back and forth over the coming days. 

It would be our luck for this system to go to west after all of the east coast storms. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 10.53.11 AM.png

That's most likely what will happen. I'm gonna step away for a bit. These models make me go crazy. 

49 minutes ago, dj3 said:

Well gfs takes the low right up our Fanny. Not a big shift but I think I’ve seen this story before. 

Not an encouraging look from the 12z OP suite thus far that's for sure. I remember a couple of storms that took a similar track, and watching the radar you see the snow line creep its way towards us, only to stop half way though butler county.

16 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Not an encouraging look from the 12z OP suite thus far that's for sure. I remember a couple of storms that took a similar track, and watching the radar you see the snow line creep its way towards us, only to stop half way though butler county.

Yea after seemingly 2 years of threats that got suppressed we can’t get any help on this one. I wish I wouldn’t have gotten invested in this one, this is a frustrating hobby lol.

4 minutes ago, dj3 said:

Yea after seemingly 2 years of threats that got suppressed we can’t get any help on this one. I wish I wouldn’t have gotten invested in this one, this is a frustrating hobby lol.

This is no longer a hobby. This doesn't relieve stress it causes it. 

16 minutes ago, dj3 said:

Don't lose hope just yet. We always say that one of these will work out for it. Right? Maybe? 

14 minutes ago, dj3 said:

I try to keep from getting invested in anything post 72 hours, but this one was pulling me in just a little bit more than normal due to the overall good look for us. There is still plenty of time for a SE trend but it is ironic hoping for that when its always NW NW NW that we need.

13 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

This is no longer a hobby. This doesn't relieve stress it causes it. 

I liken it to watching sports, it makes you dislike, or downright hate folks from another region of the country, has the ability to turn your mood on a dime, waste what could be otherwise constructive time, but at the end of the day in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really mean a damn thing. lol Just gotta roll with the punches, keep expectation in check and hope for the best.

4 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Honestly, the GEFS run is better for us. More individual members are in central pa than the 06z.

Not much better, but still

Still time for trends. We need to start seeing some southeast trends though especially from the euro. 

Archived