Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

I know the totals are down and the precip map looks bad, Im still a little optomistic about a solid 1-2 for everyone. The 500 mb Vort still looks good, the precip map just isn't showing that. Not sure why. Anyway, I think the grass is covered for Christmas morning. 

Yeah, a little better even this run:

gfs_z500_vort_eus_7.png

2 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

For the most part I accept our climo. Missing out on a big storm by 30-50 miles though is brutal, especially when people within your own sub forum report triple the snow totals, or the place you work is a 26 mile drive but is closed for the day due to snow and you can clean your sidewalk off with a broom and your child doesn't even have a delay. There have been at least 3-4 storms like that over the past 5-6 years.

The blizzard last year I think I managed around 5 inches, and had I not known what was happening a few miles away I would have been happy with that. I guess that's one downfall to all this connectivity and information at our fingertips. When I was a kid you were happy with what fell, and only saw what other areas got when Joe Denardo's 6pm weather segment came on and he had the map with area totals.

That big storm drought between 1979-1992 would have been brutal on here. Who knows how many near misses we had back then.

Side note for today, the cold air is slowly bleeding into the area, won't be much precip left for anything frozen.

Unfortunately, this is something I've noticed over the past 10 years or so.

We really have a hard time getting any decent changeover events anymore.

1 hour ago, MikeB_01 said:

FWIW:

The HRRR midwest sector has the precip lining up pretty well with the same idea as the GFS.

As long as we can manage a half inch on the ground for Christmas that will be enough to make it looks seasonal. Wouldn't complain if we got a few inches though. I have a picture, I think from 1993 on Christmas morning, and I'm opening our first computer, a Packard Bell 386sx with 4mb of ram running windows 3.1 , in the background you can see out a window and there is snow on the ground and snow is falling. That year after opening presents I opted to go outside in the snow rather than get into any of the new stuff I got, so this sickness runs deep lol.

15 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

As long as we can manage a half inch on the ground for Christmas that will be enough to make it looks seasonal. Wouldn't complain if we got a few inches though. I have a picture, I think from 1993 on Christmas morning, and I'm opening our first computer, a Packard Bell 386sx with 4mb of ram running windows 3.1 , in the background you can see out a window and there is snow on the ground and snow is falling. That year after opening presents I opted to go outside in the snow rather than get into any of the new stuff I got, so this sickness runs deep lol.

I think I remember that Christmas. My wife and I were living in a townhouse in Plum and I remember coming home from Church late at night with a nice light snow falling covering everything.

Looking at radar the rain/snow line is coming into PA. If we can hold the precip a little longer into late afternoon we may be able to eek out some slushy snow on rooftops and grassy areas before it quits. My temp is already down to 37.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH MONDAY/...
Upstream from the area, snow is rapidly developing in the vast
areas of differential PVA ahead of a fairly compact vort lobe
swinging through Indiana at the moment. Precipitation rates are
quite impressive is this area given radar reflectivity values
that are pretty extreme for snowfall. That said, surface
temperatures in this area of development are barely at freezing,
and downstream into our CWA, the area this is moving into is
largely well above freezing. While we are coming out of our
diurnal maximum, and temperatures will surely sag a bit as the
sun sets, ground temperatures are still above freezing, and warm
advection will keep substantial temperature falls from