SnowHabit
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

How much snow did boston receive

Over 10. Less than 14. Southern New Hampshire had 20+. I was driving that night on 95 in Connecticut. New haven was hammered.m with 15 but under 8 New London county. Se ma had under 6 in many southern areas. Wind gusts were nowhere near 80 and I don't recall near 50.

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Trust me, i'm in the industry,this is just the beginning of the shake out. 

Sad,  they were a new England beer institution.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20180118/smuttynose-brewing-co-to-be-sold-at-auction

Micro breweries like Treehouse, Trillium etc and IPA’s are reshaping the entire beer community . All FTW.

If the long time craft breweries don’t start producing the same types of IPA’s and doubles..they’ll meet the same fate.

Sam Adams just came out with one. They knew they had to.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20180118/smuttynose-brewing-co-to-be-sold-at-auction

At some point, Some of these will be bought out to cut back on the boom, Its happened in the domestic beer industry in the last 30 yrs or so, I was in that industry for over 15 yrs back in the 80's and saw a lot of the smaller brewery's succumb to the larger brewer's or were consolidated, The sustainability and support will end up being the demise.

Yeah, that sounds like an unrealistic growth model.

1 hour ago, wx2fish said:

Nice new facility and restaurant too

Unfortunate.

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Micro breweries like Treehouse, Trillium etc and IPA’s are reshaping the entire beer community . All FTW

Yup.  Call them "boutique breweries" but that's where it's at.

36 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Micro breweries like Treehouse, Trillium etc and IPA’s are reshaping the entire beer community . All FTW.

If the long time craft breweries don’t start producing the same types of IPA’s and doubles..they’ll meet the same fate.

And it kind of sucks. Shipyard just came out with one too that was a lot better. I can see tweener breweries like Smuttynose struggling, especially in New England where there are so many good micros. Breweries like Smuttynose, Tuckerman, Shipyard, etc. whose beer is somewhere in between really good craft beer and average mass produced beer are in a tough spot. 

The IPA bubble has to burst eventually though. 

30 minutes ago, DomNH said:

And it kind of sucks. Shipyard just came out with one too that was a lot better. I can see tweener breweries like Smuttynose struggling, especially in New England where there are so many good micros. Breweries like Smuttynose, Tuckerman, Shipyard, etc. whose beer is somewhere in between really good craft beer and average mass produced beer are in a tough spot. 

The IPA bubble has to burst eventually though. 

I don’t think it does. Once you get into the IPA’s, you can’t drink and enjoy other  beers. Regular IPA from distributors like Sip of Sunshine etc are ok, but they don’t hold a candle to the micros. To see Sammy come out with one was eye opening . They’ve all got to be feeling the pain 

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

At some point, Some of these will be bought out to cut back on the boom, Its happened in the domestic beer industry in the last 30 yrs or so, I was in that industry for over 15 yrs back in the 80's and saw a lot of the smaller brewery's succumb to the larger brewer's or were consolidated, The sustainability and support will end up being the demise.

We saw the correction in the 90s and we will see it on a larger scale this time around.   It's the midsize regionals and the mediocre newcomers that will suffer the most.

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t think it does. Once you get into the IPA’s, you can’t drink and enjoy other  beers. Regular IPA from distributors like Sip of Sunshine etc are ok, but they don’t hold a candle to the micros. To see Sammy come out with one was eye opening . They’ve all got to be feeling the pain 

Boston Beer ( Sam Adams)  is down 20% this year. Tree House  and Trillium were right place right time and found their niche so they will be OK. All of the other breweries that specialize mostly in IPA  better learn how to do some other styles.  You need Pilsner, Brown, Blonde etc. 

12 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We saw the correction in the 90s and we will see it on a larger scale this time around.   It's the midsize regionals and the mediocre newcomers that will suffer the most.

I got out of the industry in 1992, But i'm still in the beverage business industry not just tied specifically to beer, There was a lot of consolidation before then as the smaller brewers were bought out by the larger Brewery's, The micro brew industry caters to a specific audience as well so that will make it even more of a larger scale correction.

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don't know, I'm into the NEDIPAs, but I still drink other beers. I don't think that's the case across the board. I think a lot of people's choices depend on the occasion and the season. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

A friend from England was saying the IPA craze is just now starting over seas.  If the bigger brewery had better distribution they could send baby IPAs over seas and do just fine. 

1 minute ago, DomNH said:

I don't know, I'm into the NEDIPAs, but I still drink other beers. I don't think that's the case across the board. I think a lot of people's choices depend on the occasion and the season. 

The only time I personally drink anything else is tailgating. Obviously you’re not gonna rip back 8-12 IPA’s.. so you go to the old standard Bud Light or Miller Lite. Other than that , never . I’m sure I’m not alone on that 

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Sounds like the mergers in the healthcare industry..larger entities such as Lahey have consumed the smaller providers via mass mergers.

11 minutes ago, DomNH said:

I love a good IPA but definetely have been widening my horizons with all the local stuff available. It's crazy how many micros have popped up around MHT down into Londonderry/Derry. 

12 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

I love a good IPA but definetely have been widening my horizons with all the local stuff available. It's crazy how many micros have popped up around MHT down into Londonderry/Derry. 

For sure, and there are a lot of newer breweries in the Portsmouth area all putting out good stuff too like Great Rhythm and Liar's Bench. The MHT-Derry-PSM triangle is saturated with microbreweries. I don't know how long they will all last. 

Archived