Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Radiators mounted up, then thrown off horse.

The non-radiators obviously did well, but we all pulled some decent cold max temps yesterday. Overall, this will end up pretty meh for S NH numberswise. When Steve's great-great-great grandchild finds my scrolls he will think "meh".

CON

11/10 44/22

11/11 36/19

This morning...20

11 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Morning low was 22.4F  Point and click was 6F.   I knew we would never get that low as the P and C is weighted and I'm up high.  I'm sure areas below got colder but not near 6F

Oh no, we got shellacked on verification last night.

Being on long term I wasn't diving into details, but that high/mid level RH profile must've been thicker than modeled and/or MOS just blew chunks.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Oh no, we got shellacked on verification last night.

Being on long term I wasn't diving into details, but that high/mid level RH profile must've been thicker than modeled and/or MOS just blew chunks.

Those recent MOS runs were like 35F too cold for the mins at CON combined for the weekend. I can't recall a 2 day stretch that was that bad.

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Those recent MOS runs were like 35F too cold for the mins at CON combined for the weekend. I can't recall a 2 day stretch that was that bad.

Great example for why pure computer based forecasts aren't quite there yet. But we also don't do ourselves any favors by blindly following MOS around as we have the last two nights.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Great example for why pure computer based forecasts aren't quite there yet. But we also don't do ourselves any favors by blindly following MOS around as we have the last two nights.

I have no idea...but could the warm landmass affect MOS?  I was just outside and even with the wind and cold the past couple of days my lawn is not frozen.  Not even a thin surface crust frozen.  Obviously, snow radiates the best but I would guess a frozen surface without snow would radiate better than warm soils, stream, ponds etc after a near record October.  Could that throw off models or are they that sophisticated they take that into consideration this time of year!

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

I have no idea...but could the warm landmass affect MOS?  I was just outside and even with the wind and cold the past couple of days my lawn is not frozen.  Not even a thin surface crust frozen.  Obviously, snow radiates the best but I would guess a frozen surface without snow would radiate better than warm soils, stream, ponds etc after a near record October.  Could that throw off models or are they that sophisticated they take that into consideration this time of year!

Unlikely, but snow cover definitely can throw it off in the other direction (verification is colder than MOS in winter radiation events). 

The problem is probably climo. MOS wants to decouple, because more often than not ASOS sites are calm at night. So dry air mass and calm winds and MOS wants to drill temps down. MOS was OVC last night, so not sure why it still insisted on single digits.

19 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Unlikely, but snow cover definitely can throw it off in the other direction (verification is colder than MOS in winter radiation events). 

The problem is probably climo. MOS wants to decouple, because more often than not ASOS sites are calm at night. So dry air mass and calm winds and MOS wants to drill temps down. MOS was OVC last night, so not sure why it still insisted on single digits.

It's moments like this where humans still can add value which is nice. Well, unless you rip and read. 

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I was a little confused early last night because we had stars out and calm winds and it just wouldn't drop.  

You can usually tell pretty quickly with the radiators...when SLK/BML/MVL still have decent dew point depressions a couple hours after sunset it's probably going to be a struggle.  The true rad nights have the temps catch the dews almost immediately after sunset.  Those quick 10-20F drops that show the radiational vacuum is working.  

Still sitting 15/9 after a couple hours of clear/calm shows something isn't right.

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I was a little confused early last night because we had stars out and calm winds and it just wouldn't drop.  

You can usually tell pretty quickly with the radiators...when SLK/BML/MVL still have decent dew point depressions a couple hours after sunset it's probably going to be a struggle.  The true rad nights have the temps catch the dews almost immediately after sunset.  Those quick 10-20F drops that show the radiational vacuum is working.  

Still sitting 15/9 after a couple hours of clear/calm shows something isn't right.

The water vapor was already there, it just hadn't fully condensed into the thicker clouds we ended up having.

Archived