Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

Just now, powderfreak said:

Sometimes I honestly can't tell what is diamond dust and what is legit -SN.  It seems like the moon is always visible but like tonight, its probably light snow as the flakes are just so incredibly tiny.

It's only -2F out so doubt its diamond dust.  I generally think of that as early morning stuff...like 12z time frame. 

Diamond dust is one of my favorites

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Sometimes I honestly can't tell what is diamond dust and what is legit -SN.  It seems like the moon is always visible but like tonight, its probably light snow as the flakes are just so incredibly tiny.

It's only -2F out so doubt its diamond dust.  I generally think of that as early morning stuff...like 12z time frame. 

I think your right about the morning time for diamond dust, I know when i stay in the Rangely/Eustis area when snowmobiling, Many nights they see snow the 30:1 stuff that falls during dim moonlight, Its basically how they get a lot of these higher snow totals, Seems like they upslope on a regular basis, Riding up in the 3,000-4,000 elev range, I run into a lot of -SN as well as rime ice.

Love the snow falling at night, especially with most people in my neighborhood still having their Christmas lights up. I'll be going to the Patriots game tomorrow. My pal's and I are going to have to drink our beers quickly before they freeze. At least I won't need to bring much ice to the tailgate!

So I have a cousin and her husband visiting from England. It’s their first time over here and she picked this time specifically because she wanted to experience a white Christmas and some solid winter weather. Fearful of the annual Grinch period around Christmas, I tried to convince her to delay her visit until February or early March for a better chance of experiencing a truly snowy period. I picked them up from Logan on December 22nd and it has been an epically wintry period for them. As PF was noting above, there has been some snowfall virtually every day since they arrived and some truly deep winter conditions.  They are flying out from Logan on the 5th so it looks like their stay may be bookended by winter storms. If this is the pattern they bring, I may pay for them to fly over again next December. 

26 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Heading up to North Conway area week of January 6-13th.

Looks like it might be too cold to even think about skiing. Hoping it moderates some between now and the.

Has Anyone visited the ice castles in Lincoln? Worth the money?

It is, but it's usually insane, with traffic usually backed up down the exit ramp onto 93. I think I saw they are opening Jan5th or there abouts...at least school vacation will be over. I'd go mid week and not a weekend

34 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

It is, but it's usually insane, with traffic usually backed up down the exit ramp onto 93. I think I saw they are opening Jan5th or there abouts...at least school vacation will be over. I'd go mid week and not a weekend

I just read that they delayed the opening until the 5th. Would have loved to bring my cousin over. 

48 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Thanks... we’re looking at Monday 7th or Wednesday the 9th.. it’ll be cold.. but hopefully not crowded.

Hopefully we’ll avoid some traffic coming from the Kank

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

When you have an atmosphere as cold as this it doesn't take much RH increase to produce ice crystals. So these subtle shortwaves provide just enough lift/cooling to get the job done. Probably not true diamond dust.

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Yeah, eff that.

Been there before though,  tailgating was a blast game sucked left at half-time wind chill was minus 15, just got too much. I  have Ribs, barbecue chicken, buffalo chicken mac and cheese for the crew coming over. Some doubles in the Fridge,  house is 71 degrees wind chill 71. 

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Been there before though,  tailgating was a blast game sucked left at half-time wind chill was minus 15, just got too much. I  have Ribs, barbecue chicken, buffalo chicken mac and cheese for the crew coming over. Some doubles in the Fridge,  house is 71 degrees wind chill 71. 

I'll be sitting in front of my laptop, working with the TV on the game.  Rip back a few.  Grab some grub.

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

In 2004 my dad and I grabbed Subway and ate in the car with an 18 pack of Coors Light. Once you poked a hole through the frozen foam on the Sam Adams inside the stadium it tasted just fine.

Archived