joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5F at KMPV and 3F here at home. My gym is located practically at the end of KMPV’s runway and the car thermo read 5F when I came home an hour or so ago but it quickly dropped as I went down into the valley and the lowest I saw was -4F. Coming up the other side to Home the temp climbed back to 3F. A little bit of a roller coaster ride on the way home. 

Frigid.

My car said -8F leaving my house... and steadily rose coming up to the mountain with +10F up here at 1,500ft base of the ski resort in the well-mixed environment.

The cold has settled into the RT 100 corridor which is also the lowest valley location between the ridge lines.

MVL by the Ryder Brook is maxing it out this morning, also at 6sm visibility with mist so its really squeezing all the cold out of this air mass it can.

RT100.jpg.af119932341d13ed9a983d695879165c.jpg

Looking at the past few days and see that I:

--last hit 30* at 8:30p.m. Tuesday

--last hit 25* at 10:45p.m. on Tuesday

--high since then as been 20.9 (both Wed and yesterday).

--NWS p/c and ZFP calling for 21* today

With about 14" on the season and a morning temp this morning of 9.1*,  we finish the first half of December in deep winter mode.   

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

PF the reason why I asked, is because MVL always seems colder than places like MPV and they are lower in elevation. I don't doubt the obs at night due to radiating capability. But, the highs seem always colder than spots that are higher up.

I just looked at the climate statements and you're right. 

Last month MPV average highs were a full degree lower than MVL which is about what it usually averages out to, IMO.

However so far in December, MVL is averaging a full degree lower than MPV which I'm not sure I've seen before...there have been a bunch of days I've said to myself "It just must not have completely mixed out or something?"  Real shallow cold lol or something else is going on there.

MVL usually is decidedly colder in the mins than MPV and has been for years just because it can usually go to town on the radiator nights and those really can skew the monthly mins too occasionally. 

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I just looked at the climate statements and you're right. 

Last month MPV average highs were a full degree lower than MVL which is about what it usually averages out to, IMO.

However so far in December, MVL is averaging a full degree lower than MPV which I'm not sure I've seen before...there have been a bunch of days I've said to myself "It just must not have completely mixed out or something?"  Real shallow cold lol or something else is going on there.

It even seemed that way in the summer too, although I admit I did not look at the climo data for the summer.

Archived