Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

20 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Just had first that I can remember.

MHT just went 3SM BKN004 with a temp/dew of 54/54. We called and asked what was going on, and they thought another airport manually entered an ob and accidentally changed MHT.

Sure enough, MHR (in CA near SAC) has some central valley fog and BKN004 ceilings, current temp 54. 

Airports are allowed to change other airports' observations? You'd think that would be a security feature in the software to not let that happen.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Airports are allowed to change other airports' observations? You'd think that would be a security feature in the software to not let that happen.

I could change any airport ob I wanted to right now. I just have to fat finger the IATA code.

In order to have redundant back ups within the system, those types of security features aren't there.

Now we're not allowed to change airport obs from the NWS, because we then take liability to continue updating those obs. So we leave it to the FAA.

I'm more and more impressed with GOES-16 every time I look at images.

The resolution is good enough on the visible band that you can make out more than just MWN now. The snow capped peaks are defined enough to see contours of the terrain, Jefferson, Adams, Madison arcing off the NNE. Then WSW you can make out the Twins, Lafayette and even Moosilaukee. 

When I really zoom in I can pick out Huntington and Tuckerman Ravines. 

17 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The resolution is good enough on the visible band that you can make out more than just MWN now. The snow capped peaks are defined enough to see contours of the terrain, Jefferson, Adams, Madison arcing off the NNE. Then WSW you can make out the Twins, Lafayette and even Moosilaukee. 

:weenie:

36 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Post some images!

Are you looking through a public site or NWS feature?

at some point it gets probably futile to increase resolution.  i mean you could one day see a flea on an elephant's ass from space but what good would that do looking at an OE strata deck? ...doesn't the resolution at that point sort of get in the way of that bigger picture?  interesting..

22 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

at some point it gets probably futile to increase resolution.  i mean you could one day see a flea on an elephant's ass from space but what good would that do looking at an OE strata deck? ...doesn't the resolution at that point sort of get in the way of that bigger picture?  interesting..

There are actually many cloud features we're able to identify now that we could really just infer before.

In additional to gravity waves (in TC and ET lows), there are also sorts of features visible now (clouds and non-cloud).

We can now see inflow banding and RFD surges in supercells, suggestive of strengthening. The increased resolution now allows us to see colder temps in IR, so we can better survey updraft trends. We can also see mountain waves patterns that were before washed out. Fire detection and monitoring has gotten better too. We can watch smoke plume trends even on our relatively tiny wildfires in New England.

30.8/17.1 today...down to 25F so we'll see if we can dip colder than 17F before midnight. I bet we get close and then clouds level the temp off somewhat. This is probably my earliest below freezing high since moving here...someday I'll get my old data back. :(

The entire yard is frozen tundra now. Hopefully it thaws out because I have some hole digging to do.

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

30.8/17.1 today...down to 25F so we'll see if we can dip colder than 17F before midnight. I bet we get close and then clouds level the temp off somewhat. This is probably my earliest below freezing high since moving here...someday I'll get my old data back. :(

The entire yard is frozen tundra now. Hopefully it thaws out because I have some hole digging to do.

Maybe that will spell the end to my dog's hole digging--ftw.

Archived