Welcome to American Weather
powderfreak

Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

1,765 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Thanks. That makes more sense. I remember a few people fired about my example.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t first order stations do it every 6 hours?

Mostly. I would say every 6ish hours. We don't make people get up in the middle of the night if they are a volunteer observer, so sometimes that 06z measurement is skipped.

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Also how do you define settling? That’s kind of a gray area there. I wish they just kept it the same as we’ve been doing. 

They seem to be defining settling as you should measure as close to the snow ending as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Mostly. I would say every 6ish hours. We don't make people get up in the middle of the night if they are a volunteer observer, so sometimes that 06z measurement is skipped.

They seem to be defining settling as you should measure as close to the snow ending as possible.

If that’s what first order stations do, Is there a reason why this is not a homogeneous method across the board? It just seems like we have two methods out there to do the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If that’s what first order stations do, Is there a reason why this is not a homogeneous method across the board? It just seems like we have two methods out there to do the same thing.

Workload? We are having a harder and harder time finding dedicated Coop observers, and I think measuring every 6 hours can be daunting for some. Plus measuring just once a day isn't wildly different in most cases. I know, blasphemy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Workload? We are having a harder and harder time finding dedicated Coop observers, and I think measuring every 6 hours can be daunting for some. Plus measuring just once a day isn't wildly different in most cases. I know, blasphemy.

I think people usually only measure when they can anyways. I mean if you work, Obviously you can’t do it every six hours, you just do it when you get home. It just seems like we should have the same practice throughout, and I think people just do it when they can.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems they dont want weenies to steal first order stations glory, unless of course coop observers have option to clear every 6 hours for a valid report (they just are not required)

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Workload? We are having a harder and harder time finding dedicated Coop observers, and I think measuring every 6 hours can be daunting for some. Plus measuring just once a day isn't wildly different in most cases. I know, blasphemy.

The larger the storm, the larger the discrepancy.

For any storm that goes in record books, settling will steal up to 20% reductions in totals.

Unless observers (dedicated) ones have option of matching methods that first order

Stations do, (not required) but certainly wouldn't make any sense to discredit a more homogenous method being adhered to should the Coop observer do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy sheet.  Just crushing this morning.

The lake effect upslope combo has Mansfield in the firehose. 

Full on white out at times on the drive in with several inches on the road. 

3.8" in the base area at 5:30am... that's ~4 in about 2 hours.

Pow.gif.fba7271a9c0b9a92a41bc9733cf72bc2.gif

3.JPG.39e1e596119a6d900a6317bd3abc6696.JPG

2.JPG.112fee26344847a4622e3f5ffbe0187b.JPG

1.JPG.efea3847734dae4f5ca060cb043e5e6a.JPG

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

How was the mountain doing relative to average so far?

Pretty good... I'd say average pace.

Snowpack has been right on average and last night's snow plus this upcoming storm should boost it back above normal.

average.png.01710d0d42486e039794593cec0237f3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Nice. Good stuff. Looks rather "busy" through the month too.

Yeah we'll see. 

7" at 3,000ft overnight. 

Another case of watching for "big" storms and then getting crushed from the small stuff.

December_11.jpg.0754b0b40772bc234612fb1e92ecc1f9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Seems they dont want weenies to steal first order stations glory, unless of course coop observers have option to clear every 6 hours for a valid report (they just are not required)

The larger the storm, the larger the discrepancy.

For any storm that goes in record books, settling will steal up to 20% reductions in totals.

Unless observers (dedicated) ones have option of matching methods that first order

Stations do, (not required) but certainly wouldn't make any sense to discredit a more homogenous method being adhered to should the Coop observer do this.

To be clear, there’s nothing that says they CAN’T do more than one, only that they are REQUIRED to do at least one measurement a day.

And of course some stations are REQUIRED to do 6 hourly measurements. 

So I wouldn’t say we’ve hanged recommendations so much as recognized that people can’t measure as often as they used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the Friday system is kaput now too.  Seems like a really fast turn around from great snowy forecast to rain and dry cold.  Par for the course I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Dan said:

Not sure if you guys saw this or not.  If it was already posted my apologies.

 

http://www.fox9.com/news/15-of-snow-falls-in-90-minutes

 

 

Just checked out the obs from the AWOS and holy f'in shiat.

PAVD 130713Z COR 33003KT 3SM FEW002 OVC070 M01/M01 A3006 =
PAVD 130711Z 33004KT 1 1/2SM SCT002 OVC070 M01/M01 RMK WATERSPOUT E0657 AO2 VIS 1/4V5 0651Z WEA =
PAVD 130709Z 34003KT 3/4SM VV001 M01/M01 A3007 RMK WATERSPOUT E0657 AO2 VIS 1/4V5 0651Z WEA =
PAVD 130705Z 00000KT 1/4SM VV001 M01/M01 A3007 RMK WATERSPOUT E0657 AO2 0651Z WEA =
PAVD 130658Z 1/4SM BKN002 OVC070 M01/M01 RMK WATERSPOUT E57 AO2 CIG 001V005 0651Z WEA =
PAVD 130656Z 12003KT 1/4SM +FC VV001 M01/M01 A3008 RMK WATERSPOUT B51 AO2 SLP210 0651Z WEA =

 

So a 6 minute waterspout offshore with what I would presume is 1/4SM +SN (no precip ID sensor there).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dendrite said:

Just checked out the obs from the AWOS and holy f'in shiat.

PAVD 130713Z COR 33003KT 3SM FEW002 OVC070 M01/M01 A3006 =
PAVD 130711Z 33004KT 1 1/2SM SCT002 OVC070 M01/M01 RMK WATERSPOUT E0657 AO2 VIS 1/4V5 0651Z WEA =
PAVD 130709Z 34003KT 3/4SM VV001 M01/M01 A3007 RMK WATERSPOUT E0657 AO2 VIS 1/4V5 0651Z WEA =
PAVD 130705Z 00000KT 1/4SM VV001 M01/M01 A3007 RMK WATERSPOUT E0657 AO2 0651Z WEA =
PAVD 130658Z 1/4SM BKN002 OVC070 M01/M01 RMK WATERSPOUT E57 AO2 CIG 001V005 0651Z WEA =
PAVD 130656Z 12003KT 1/4SM +FC VV001 M01/M01 A3008 RMK WATERSPOUT B51 AO2 SLP210 0651Z WEA =

 

So a 6 minute waterspout offshore with what I would presume is 1/4SM +SN (no precip ID sensor there).

It looks like it may have been fog based on what the TAF had. Anyways..pretty epic..lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brisk, 24F. Never got that warm yesterday despite being close to coast so pack is mostly intact. Would be great to retain some of it in time for Christmas weekend refresh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It looks like it may have been fog based on what the TAF had. Anyways..pretty epic..lol.

Ahhh yup. This should've given it away to me too.

VIS 1/4V5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Dec 7th I recorded a high of 36.9F.  Next day 33.3F.  Then highs each day of 32F to 33F.  Past 3 days below freezing.  Too bad my temps have not been a degree colder or I would have quite a run at below freezing temps already, and now we are in the deep freeze.  Noticed that the bays of Newfound Lake are just starting to skim over with ice.  Lake and pond ice up here should thicken and expand the next few days especially if we can get a period of calm weather for ice to "catch".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now