Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Yard cleanup #2 done.  90% oak leaves this time and holy hell were there a lot.  Took 4 hours.  Still lots of leaves to go too. UGH!

i gave up. did a full clean up last week, and there are more oak leaves in the yard than there were last weekend. will deal with it in the spring I guess

Just found out my work is sending me to Tonawanda, NY from this weds Dec 6th untill weds Dec 13th. The lake effect machine looks to kick on late week. Anyone know how that area does with lake effect? Its just north of Buffalo. I'm really hoping to get buried with feet of snow.

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Just found out my work is sending me to Tonawanda, NY from this weds Dec 6th untill weds Dec 13th. The lake effect machine looks to kick on late week. Anyone know how that area does with lake effect? Its just north of Buffalo. I'm really hoping to get buried with feet of snow.

North of BUF isn't great for LES. You need a SW wind up there vs more WSW in BUF which is a better fetch for Lake Erie. You can still get a good event but it's pretty rare. You'll get plenty of random snow showers though. 

8 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Clear weather at Pinkham NotchIMG_20171203_092139211.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Surprised at the lack of snow cover there...just plow piles in the photo.  I'm sure sheltered spots have some snow but that's over 2,000ft elevation...thought it would look more wintry there.

53 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

North of BUF isn't great for LES. You need a SW wind up there vs more WSW in BUF which is a better fetch for Lake Erie. You can still get a good event but it's pretty rare. You'll get plenty of random snow showers though. 

Yeah the southern towns take that game most of the time.  Sometimes a lake band will migrate north of BUF, but like you, it's the south side suburbs and nearby hills that really get lit up. 

With that said, this overall look is one of WSW and SW flow coupled with the rarer cold air advection on WSW/SW flow (thanks to the trough axis to the west) might at least give the towns just north of BUF a better shot than climo over the next couple weeks.

Just now, Lava Rock said:

Yeah, looking thin. We were going to take a ride up the Kanc but Pinkham was closer.

Well its gonna look thin on Dec 3rd...but figured they'd have a few inches even if NW/W flow upslope precipitation isn't necessarily their thing.  That's a high location among some big mountains.

Archived