Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dendrite said:

I think he missed one overnight once. NBD really though. Picking back up. I have faith in the ASOS with this intensity. 

Yeah she typically calls at 12, 18, and 00z. But that 06z ob we can't really expect anyone do with any regularity. I mean they get paid, but it's not even enough to fill a gas tank every month.

May need to watch for the IVT tonight in SNE...esp late when the lower levels cool just a bit more. Could be some snow in the interior of MA. RGEM has some. NAM has precip, but it has slightly warmer low levels so it might be tougher...though we're talking like 0.5-1C in that 925-950 region...it's really close.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

May need to watch for the IVT tonight in SNE...esp late when the lower levels cool just a bit more. Could be some snow in the interior of MA. RGEM has some. NAM has precip, but it has slightly warmer low levels so it might be tougher...though we're talking like 0.5-1C in that 925-950 region...it's really close.

Nice to begin the season with the winter equivalent of gonorrhea.

10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Nice to begin the season with the winter equivalent of gonorrhea.

Pretty typical for a November snow "threat" before T-day...they are usually ugly little clippers, shortwaves, ass-end of an anafront changeover, or inverted troughs...frequently with marginal temps and often end up not materializing or only for a small elevated area.

But hey, I guess it's better than discussing October warmth.

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Saw this on the Stowe Rec Path while walking the dog, lets hope the bees are right.  The old country legend is that the higher the bees make their nests in the trees, the deeper the snow will be in the coming winter.  Mostly hogwash but still fun to see this bees nest 50ft up in the air.

23561415_10103226513712520_6798495800771

Far higher than any I've ever seen.  And in my experience, "hogwash" is too kind.  Highest nest I saw in our 10 years up north was followed by the most open of our winters there.  Next year I was seeing nests knee-high or lower, and then my 61" snow stake got overtopped.

On other subjects - low of 12 yesterday before the clouds rolled in, but the clouds did less "damage" this morning, as it was a degree or two lower than yesterday's minimum despite nearly full overcast at 6:45.

Archived