SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Driving back from Rockport 2 hours ago: car thermometer was reading 41 but dropped then stayed at 33 as soon as we got over the  bridge.  About noon,  driving the back roads from  Peabody, Danvers, Middleton, Boxford and in to North Andover, the trees and shrubs were iced up.  Not (yet) as severely as Don's picture presents in Andover.  Roads were fine but partially flooded in places.  

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Still glaze here at home...31.4/31

I see the rev is like 55*...thank god for elevation. :lol:

He's secretly seething....

Some pretty impressive pics out of interior MA. I should've worked from home today...was nasty when I left.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

He's secretly seething....

Some pretty impressive pics out of interior MA. I should've worked from home today...was nasty when I left.

I was on Belmont hill in ORH this morning...like 600'. Really good glaze.

Maybe a bit less at my place, but still very evident. 

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I was on Belmont hill in ORH this morning...like 600'. Really good glaze.

Maybe a bit less at my place, but still very evident. 

Belmont hill is a good spot on east side of city...top of it is even a bit higher than that...up around 750.

It's such a weird exercise in relativism with this thing... 

In one respects...relative to the models, this CAD/'tuck' air mass was poorly handled ...like with panache

Then, once in here, the cold air itself is now doing something unusual - which is correcting warmer by shear thermal input by massive doses of phase transition physics.  So, relative to the bust, the bust its self is now busting warmer... 

Man, talk about a popcycle headache -

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's such a weird exercise in relativism with this thing... 

In one respects...relative to the models, this CAD/'tuck' air mass was poorly handled ...like with panache

Then, once in here, the cold air itself is now doing something unusual - which is correcting warmer by shear thermal input by massive doses of phase transition physics.  So, relative to the bust, the bust its self is now busting warmer... 

Man, talk about a popcycle headache -

Yea...that's why you need a drain of low DP air to compensate for that in order to have a highly anomalous event.

32.8F  light rain.  Power is flickering.  Rain let up enough to get the drone up.  We are in the low clouds so vis stinks and rain was hitting the lens so not a good video.  Still shows the ice accretion on the trees.  The birch take the beating.  The driveway is more ice than snow.  Once we mix out late this PM I'll do the cars and  try to get to work on the driveway.  Most people around here probably have no idea this PM is the window till at least Saturday.

Here's the video    

Almost 32F across the board at normal elevations in Merrimack County right now. It's a good afternoon to see if your temp sensor is on target. The RWIS sites are 31F at Sanbornton and 35F at Canterbury...more validation to my theory that SBN is 1F too cold and CAN is 3F too high.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

NHEC outages have been jumping up over the past hour. 1k of their customers are out in the Lakes Region. Only a couple dozen affected in Northfield so far...hopefully we keep it that way.

As front comes through and we get mixing how high do you think we will get in the general C/S NH area?  Trees are loaded with ice.  Any breeze that picks up might increase power issues unless we can melt quickly

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

As front comes through and we get mixing how high do you think we will get in the general C/S NH area?  Trees are loaded with ice.  Any breeze that picks up might increase power issues unless we can melt quickly

Lower els probably get stuck in the m/u 30s? Maybe you can get into the low 40s with your elevation.

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Even BOS still 36 and out of the northeast, not exactly a typical CAD spot...that's pretty impressive. Meanwhile 56F at PVD and 59 (!!) at IJD.

Ginxy laying out on the roof of the museum in a speedo. Kevin drinking pina coladas.

Tropical downpours just ended 1.23 56 degrees, wish someone had forecasted an ice storm in CNE NNE, oh wait.....

Archived