Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, S&P said:

Yeah you’ll get paid it just sux that u don’t know when. They realize the harm they do and make sure they pay people even those furloughed. Some folks I work with will be furloughed which will be like paid vacation. They just dont know when the chrck will come.

Well there is no obligation to pay anyone furloughed, they just always have in the past. I'm not counting on that money until I see a check. I'll be paid for being an essential employee, but I do have a vacation planned for next week that leaves me two options: cancel the vacation and show up to work, or opt into furlough status. 

I also don't know many people who will be considering any furlough a paid vacation. Most feds I know like serving the public, and would rather be showing up for work on Monday to do their job rather than sitting at home.

13 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

govt workers will be fine. They do very well for themselves, and those pensions....retirement is sweet with that extra cash in the bank. Nobody has it better in the private sector with a comparable salary. 

This was addressed a few posts back, but I'll reiterate, the reason why we have benefits is to lure candidates into government service. While not always true, many jobs (especially in sciences) offer higher salaries in the private sector. Also our retirement benefits (that every year are chipped away at) really have nothing to do with the short term while we aren't getting paid. I've planned for something like this, but there are plenty of feds that live closer to paycheck to paycheck. So I think you might be over-simplifying it. 

We'll find out more tomorrow (assuming there isn't some Hail Mary today), but the guidance is slowly trickling out about what we can and can't do. Basically if it's forecast/warning (mission) based it's okay. Anything above and beyond we're supposed to stop. But there are all sorts of knock on effects too. We can't pay our contractors during a shutdown. So that means no plow services, no janitorial services, Ekster had to mop the floors in 2013. :o

7 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Well there is no obligation to pay anyone furloughed, they just always have in the past. I'm not counting on that money until I see a check. I'll be paid for being an essential employee, but I do have a vacation planned for next week that leaves me two options: cancel the vacation and show up to work, or opt into furlough status. 

I also don't know many people who will be considering any furlough a paid vacation. Most feds I know like serving the public, and would rather be showing up for work on Monday to do their job rather than sitting at home.

This was addressed a few posts back, but I'll reiterate, the reason why we have benefits is to lure candidates into government service. While not always true, many jobs (especially in sciences) offer higher salaries in the private sector. Also our retirement benefits (that every year are chipped away at) really have nothing to do with the short term while we aren't getting paid. I've planned for something like this, but there are plenty of feds that live closer to paycheck to paycheck. So I think you might be over-simplifying it. 

We'll find out more tomorrow (assuming there isn't some Hail Mary today), but the guidance is slowly trickling out about what we can and can't do. Basically if it's forecast/warning (mission) based it's okay. Anything above and beyond we're supposed to stop. But there are all sorts of knock on effects too. We can't pay our contractors during a shutdown. So that means no plow services, no janitorial services, Ekster had to mop the floors in 2013. :o

I was over simplifying but it’s a temporary shutdown, not a lay off. My mom, now retired, worked 27 years and went through this more than once. You’ll get back pay, it’s just Short term anxiety. 

22 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

you've got me wrong, i am not criticizing them, i work with them and respect them and you and i am one. I am not mission funded, so we work. 

10 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

should of been brees vs brady. eagles with foles is a meh matchup, doesnt have any juice. So Another ring for the big baby, 26-17.

I dunno, Eagles looked pretty darn impressive last night. But I suppose a wealth of experience in the big game counts for something.

15 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I was over simplifying but it’s a temporary shutdown, not a lay off. My mom, now retired, worked 27 years and went through this more than once. You’ll get back pay, it’s just Short term anxiety. 

It's mostly that I don't trust any promises Congress makes at this point. Would anyone really be surprised if they up and decided not to pay furloughs this time around? Likewise, I wouldn't be surprised if we got our pay and a personal apology from each member. 

Either way I'll be here tracking the CAD.

I was just looking at some hr obs from southern Maine and there is an apparent albeit subtle wind shift from roughly 70 .. 80 deg to more 30 to 50, and accompanying is a temp recession since 7 am when it was 33-34 and is now in the upper 20s. 

There is a lot of rich cold air N-E of that shift.

Should be noted that some meso models have been 'tucking' this evening as far S as the eastern end of Rt 2 down in Mass ... and against all apparent odds, it would not be shocking if at least ASH-PSM and even Brian if that's physically possible ... could lock down for time.  The wind pips are all concertedly pointing SW at this hour up that way, too, so there is cold on the move in the llvs.  We'll see if halts are continues.

Also, this thread has too many pages -

33 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I was just looking at some hr obs from southern Maine and there is an apparent albeit subtle wind shift from roughly 70 .. 80 deg to more 30 to 50, and accompanying is a temp recession since 7 am when it was 33-34 and is now in the upper 20s. 

There is a lot of rich cold air N-E of that shift.

Should be noted that some meso models have been 'tucking' this evening as far S as the eastern end of Rt 2 down in Mass ... and against all apparent odds, it would not be shocking if at least ASH-PSM and even Brian if that's physically possible ... could lock down for time.  The wind pips are all concertedly pointing SW at this hour up that way, too, so there is cold on the move in the llvs.  We'll see if halts are continues.

Also, this thread has too many pages -

Tickin down slowly here too...31.4F.

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Tickin down slowly here too...31.4F.

Rochester NH just shaved to 32 as there, wind showed a tad of back/acceleration ...almost noise but it's in there, and more importantly when that happened their DP is sunk to 30 F. LCI to 30 after 32 at 8 am and DP there to 27. It's sliding SW albeit modestly...

It's probably going to take the balance of the mid-day to get that 'tuck' as far S as NE Mass...but I suggest CON-to MHT should be leery of a possible onset of slickies...

Archived