Weathernoob335
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Yes.

All but the administrative assistant are considered essential employees and show up to work as scheduled. We are not being paid. Yet. To this point essential employees (and furloughed employees) have always gotten repaid for their time during a shutdown, but there is no obligation to repay.

As a for instance, pay day is next week for the last two weeks, but if we're still shutdown the finance office won't be sending checks.

There is a whole list of things we shouldn't be doing anymore, including no outreach, no media interviews, limited social media to forecast only (no educational or informative posts), no preventative maintenance, no tours.

And all leave is cancelled (vacation or sick leave). If you want to placed into furlough status instead (if you had a planned vacation or had a medical emergency) you run the risk of not being paid at all for the time off (even if you've earned that vacation or sick leave). 

The whole thing sucks. After 2013 I've made sure I have enough in the bank to get by on a shutdown, but with two mortgages this month, moving to a new house, and a pregnant wife I would prefer this not linger.

Yeah you’ll get paid it just sux that u don’t know when. They realize the harm they do and make sure they pay people even those furloughed. Some folks I work with will be furloughed which will be like paid vacation. They just dont know when the chrck will come.

Spilled some antifreeze in the dirt driveway when draining my radiator today. What’s the best way to minimize the possible effects on my chickens if they start eating the small rocks and sand? Dig up the top layer and then run the hose over the area to dilute it? I usually do that in the garage, but I wanted some sun warmth on my hands. 

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Spilled some antifreeze in the dirt driveway when draining my radiator today. What’s the best way to minimize the possible effects on my chickens if they start eating the small rocks and sand? Dig up the top layer and then run the hose over the area to dilute it? I usually do that in the garage, but I wanted some sun warmth on my hands. 

You could try an pour something acidic on it like vinegar to neutralize it.  Than scoop away the effected area.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'd probably lay a piece of plastic/plywood over it until the ground thaws enough to dig it out, then replace with clean dirt.

Or maybe grab a couple bags of coarse stone (stuff too big for them to eat) at Home Depot and bury the spot until spring when you can dig it out better.  Just be sure to mark the spot when it snows so you don't wreck your snowblower.

32 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I'd probably lay a piece of plastic/plywood over it until the ground thaws enough to dig it out, then replace with clean dirt.

Or maybe grab a couple bags of coarse stone (stuff too big for them to eat) at Home Depot and bury the spot until spring when you can dig it out better.  Just be sure to mark the spot when it snows so you don't wreck your snowblower.

34 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

You could try an pour something acidic on it like vinegar to neutralize it.  Than scoop away the effected area.

It was orange so apparently that’s the less poisonous propylene glycol. 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Dilute dilute dilute pour rubbing alcohol then dilute that,  animals don't like the smell of isopropyl alcohol which is the residue left.

I think I’ll dig up the area a couple of inches, do what you said, and then fill the hole in with something like Scott suggested...then maybe pour more IA over that just to keep them away. But who knows...they like to eat sheetrock, the styrofoam insulation in my garage door, and the vinyl flooring in their coop, but they won’t touch swiss chard. So maybe they’d find the alcohol appetizing. 

19 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think I’ll dig up the area a couple of inches, do what you said, and then fill the hole in with something like Scott suggested...then maybe pour more IA over that just to keep them away. But who knows...they like to eat sheetrock, the styrofoam insulation in my garage door, and the vinyl flooring in their coop, but they won’t touch swiss chard. So maybe they’d find the alcohol appetizing. 

Fuking chickens

12 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

govt workers will be fine. They do very well for themselves, and those pensions....retirement is sweet with that extra cash in the bank. Nobody has it better in the private sector with a comparable salary. 

that's the thing for technical (science and engineering) disciplines it's hard for the gov't to compete with private sector salaries especially for new professionals so they use benefits and other perks (mobility etc.) to attract candidates.

Archived