Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Do any of you browse to the Help Forum before you post? Wow changed Ad companies and it's lead to to this latest snafu.  It's not on our end, but the advertisers.  Chill out.  You can always donate money and, I believe, go ad free.

I was going to say, I'm a gold member and i see no ads................:lol:

50 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Do any of you browse to the Help Forum before you post? Wow changed Ad companies and it's lead to to this latest snafu.  It's not on our end, but the advertisers.  Chill out.  You can always donate money and, I believe, go ad free.

I showed the adware “congratulations you won an amazon ....” that forces me to close out. It happenned a few months back and the mods appreciated it, looked into it, and it was gone. Now it is back again. Dont think it has anything to do with a donation, it didnt before. 

No, I dont browse the help forum. 

I’ll donate right now but if it doesnt go away, can you look into it on more serious level instead of guessing? thanks. 

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Instead of the typical banners at the top and bottom of the screen, there is this ad that just sits there and won't scroll away.  Its really annoying.  It shows on my ios devices and my desktop PC  

Right, it is not the normal google type ad on the forum. It goes as you scroll, cant get rid of it. Then the bigger one is the “Congrats you won Amazon” yada yada where you have to force close the forum and come back in. That shouldnt be a donation problem. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I showed the adware “congratulations you won an amazon ....” that forces me to close out. It happenned a few months back and the mods appreciated it, looked into it, and it was gone. Now it is back again. Dont think it has anything to do with a donation, it didnt before. 

No, I dont browse the help forum. 

I’ll donate right now but if it doesnt go away, can you look into it on more serious level instead of guessing? thanks. 

Did you not read my post?  Wow just changed ad companies.  That's what's causing it.  It's an issue on their end that they're looking into, not ours.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Never get any ads. Wtf are people talking about?

This. The only time I have ever seen an ad was when I wasn't logged in.  I will say that a few years ago, I encountered the large ads that would not let me scroll through and even sign in to the site. I forget how that went away.

15 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Can't wait until 25th amendment chimes in. 

Ballantine beer. No specific reason was given but it's widely been speculated that Mel Allen was fired in 1964 because beer sales were down. This remains the most shocking firing in the history of sports broadcasting. Mel Allen was ostracized and absolutely humiliated for the next decade. He had some new found fame with this week in baseball beginning in 1977 and lots of voice overs and 40 Yankee cable casts from 1979-1985 but his career never recovered nor did he ever personally recover from his firing.

I just got in from New Orleans. Was quite an interesting trip. They hit a record low of 20 degrees and it snowed. The entire water system was down for days from the amount of burst frozen pipes. There were burst pipes gushing water everywhere. All the fountains froze solid.

20180118_183144.jpg

Screenshot_2018-01-16-22-20-11.png

1 hour ago, S&P said:

Are the NWS guys considered essential and work today? how does the shutdown work for you guys?

Yes.

All but the administrative assistant are considered essential employees and show up to work as scheduled. We are not being paid. Yet. To this point essential employees (and furloughed employees) have always gotten repaid for their time during a shutdown, but there is no obligation to repay.

As a for instance, pay day is next week for the last two weeks, but if we're still shutdown the finance office won't be sending checks.

There is a whole list of things we shouldn't be doing anymore, including no outreach, no media interviews, limited social media to forecast only (no educational or informative posts), no preventative maintenance, no tours.

And all leave is cancelled (vacation or sick leave). If you want to placed into furlough status instead (if you had a planned vacation or had a medical emergency) you run the risk of not being paid at all for the time off (even if you've earned that vacation or sick leave). 

The whole thing sucks. After 2013 I've made sure I have enough in the bank to get by on a shutdown, but with two mortgages this month, moving to a new house, and a pregnant wife I would prefer this not linger.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yes.

All but the administrative assistant are considered essential employees and show up to work as scheduled. We are not being paid. Yet. To this point essential employees (and furloughed employees) have always gotten repaid for their time during a shutdown, but there is no obligation to repay.

As a for instance, pay day is next week for the last two weeks, but if we're still shutdown the finance office won't be sending checks.

There is a whole list of things we shouldn't be doing anymore, including no outreach, no media interviews, limited social media to forecast only (no educational or informative posts), no preventative maintenance, no tours.

And all leave is cancelled (vacation or sick leave). If you want to placed into furlough status instead (if you had a planned vacation or had a medical emergency) you run the risk of not being paid at all for the time off (even if you've earned that vacation or sick leave). 

The whole thing sucks. After 2013 I've made sure I have enough in the bank to get by on a shutdown, but with two mortgages this month, moving to a new house, and a pregnant wife I would prefer this not linger.

Hang in there, I assure you this will be resolved sooner then you think, Congrats to you and your wife!

46 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I just got in from New Orleans. Was quite an interesting trip. They hit a record low of 20 degrees and it snowed. The entire water system was down for days from the amount of burst frozen pipes. There were burst pipes gushing water everywhere. All the fountains froze solid.

20180118_183144.jpg

Screenshot_2018-01-16-22-20-11.png

That fountain pic is one of the coolest weather pics I have ever seen

47 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yes.

Plenty of time to visit breweries all thruout New England now. This works out great. When you come to Treehouse, bring some Maine beers .. we’ll trade!

Archived