Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

12 minutes ago, DomNH said:

For sure, and there are a lot of newer breweries in the Portsmouth area all putting out good stuff too like Great Rhythm and Liar's Bench. The MHT-Derry-PSM triangle is saturated with microbreweries. I don't know how long they will all last. 

Yeah they just keep popping up. Even further north now. Schilling in Littleton is excellent if your up that way. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, DomNH said:

For sure, and there are a lot of newer breweries in the Portsmouth area all putting out good stuff too like Great Rhythm and Liar's Bench. The MHT-Derry-PSM triangle is saturated with microbreweries. I don't know how long they will all last. 

That makes a little more sense with the high population down that way but I wonder about all the places up here.  Within 15 minutes from where I live I can hit a dozen breweries.  I can walk to at least 3-4.  Within an hour that number is probably three dozen or more if you include Montpelier and BTV.  Everyone is brewing these days, even out in small towns.  

I don't see how it's sustainable.

46 minutes ago, Southshorewx said:

A friend from England was saying the IPA craze is just now starting over seas.  If the bigger brewery had better distribution they could send baby IPAs over seas and do just fine. 

I get to England once or twice a year, and I love the fresh stouts, porters and blondes.  Noticed back in October that there were a lot more IPAs in the pubs than there were the year before.

2 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Yeah they just keep popping up. Even further north now. Schilling in Littleton is excellent if your up that way. 

Yeah, I mean you can bar crawl down 16 on the way home from North Conway now. Start with Moat in Conway, go down to Hobbs Tavern in Ossipee, and then hit 7th Settlement and Garrison City in Dover. Pretty much anywhere you are in this state there is a micro nearby. 

36 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

I love a good IPA but definetely have been widening my horizons with all the local stuff available. It's crazy how many micros have popped up around MHT down into Londonderry/Derry. 

I generally can judge a brewers mastery by their Pilsners and Blonde ales. Too easy to mask poor recipe execution in IPA and Stout. 

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That makes a little more sense with the high population down that way but I wonder about all the places up here.  Within 15 minutes from where I live I can hit a dozen breweries.  I can walk to at least 3-4.  Within an hour that number is probably three dozen or more if you include Montpelier and BTV.  Everyone is brewing these days, even out in small towns.  

Von Trapp and Alchemist is all you need in Stowe. I can see those staying around for a long time. 

5 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

I get to England once or twice a year, and I love the fresh stouts, porters and blondes.  Noticed back in October that there were a lot more IPAs in the pubs than there were the year before.

Well made British beers are fantastic and sometimes it is nice to sip a beer that is under 5% ABV and still has flavor.   British Ale yeasts tend to attenuate less efficiently than their American counterparts so it is easier to end up with off flavors if you don't know what you're doing.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t think it does. Once you get into the IPA’s, you can’t drink and enjoy other  beers. Regular IPA from distributors like Sip of Sunshine etc are ok, but they don’t hold a candle to the micros. To see Sammy come out with one was eye opening . They’ve all got to be feeling the pain 

:sleepy:  You need to expand your horizons.  There are a ton of other great styles out there.

One of the biggest problems this country has is this notion we are righteous. We were founded on freedom for all yet it takes centuries for blacks to live ‘free’, women to live ‘free’, and people to drink liqour, smoke weed, play online poker, and get a blowjob from a stranger for $50....all at the same damn time. Just tax ALL of it and LET US BE ‘FREE’. Stop the nonsense political BS of saving our ‘purity’. People gonna do whatever they want anyway...so legalize EVERYThING! stop the back alley drug deals and blowjobs, stop the overcrowded jails, increase tax revenue across the country....just dont go blow all that revenue. 

It doesnt matter how much revenue we create if we constantly flush it down the toilet. 

Free at last, free at last...Pray to God we can finally be free at last!

1 hour ago, DomNH said:

Von Trapp and Alchemist is all you need in Stowe. I can see those staying around for a long time. 

I agree with you fully.  That's a very solid observation.

Idletyme Brewing Company has a solid Double IPA that I've been digging but I think the taste may be fleeting like most of these.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah like short-term...I think a bulk of the microbrew double IPAs have tastes that are very good for a "fleeting" period of time but then you move on to something else.  You try a new one and you're like, yeah this is the shiznit.

I honestly have no clue what you’re talking about? Once you start drinking them, you are hooked and seek more microbreweries to try their versions etc... and continue with your favorites as well and beers like Headytopper fade away as has happened 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I honestly have no clue what you’re talking about? Once you start drinking them, you are hooked and seek more microbreweries to try their versions etc... and continue with your favorites as well and beers like Headytopper fade away as has happened 

I love Double IPAs... maybe I'm not explaining it in the right way.  I always seek new Double IPAs and other styles (mostly DIPAs), but there are a lot of beers that fade away (for an individual taste) like you stated.  And everyone isn't going to enjoy the same tastes, its a fun game tasting beers and comparing them.

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

One of the biggest problems this country has is this notion we are righteous. We were founded on freedom for all yet it takes centuries for blacks to live ‘free’, women to live ‘free’, and people to drink liqour, smoke weed, play online poker, and get a blowjob from a stranger for $50....all at the same damn time. Just tax ALL of it and LET US BE ‘FREE’. Stop the nonsense political BS of saving our ‘purity’. People gonna do whatever they want anyway...so legalize EVERYThING! stop the back alley drug deals and blowjobs, stop the overcrowded jails, increase tax revenue across the country....just dont go blow all that revenue. 

It doesnt matter how much revenue we create if we constantly flush it down the toilet. 

Free at last, free at last...Pray to God we can finally be free at last!

An interesting point of view. Our Founding Fathers were actually convinced that republics are very delicate (you'll note ours is now the longest surviving in history) and that their survival hinges on civic virtue. To live in a healthy society, we all give up certain freedoms. People in the 18th century believed men were inherently immoral (frankly I am inclined to agree), prone to corruption, lust after power, sinecures, advancement etc.. They put as many protections into our founding documents as possible to both guarantee our liberties, and prevent the corrupting influences of power to destroy the rule of law. It is this structure that also retards the march of worthwhile social advancement to some degree, but not indefinitely. Re: slavery, a horrible institution, and one many of the Founding Fathers found absolutely execrable. But politics is the art of the possible, and a ragtag band of wayward colonies could not effectively take on the world's great superpower without being totally united. No southern colony would've gone along with a revolution if giving up slaves was part of the bargain. As for the plight of women, you seem to view our forbears from a purely modern perspective. They were men of their time, simple as that. And their view was not exclusively an American one. It still prevails in many parts of the world. I would argue that we could do with a little more moral fiber, rather than legalizing all forms of vice to raise tax money. Given the pathetic caliber of leadership we've had to deal with from both parties for the last 20+ years, the political scandals, intentional polarization, collapse of the spirit of accommodation etc., I personally would like to see a national plebiscite to vote on congressional term limits. Congress will never do it themselves, and our Founding Fathers never dreamed of career politicians. If we limit congressmen to two terms, we get rid of all the people who are trying to make politics a career and who will do anything to keep their seat, take money from anyone, flipflop on any issue, always put party before country--people who are so entrenched in their hatred of their opponents that they will never compromise--and replace them with those with a true service orientation. We need to return to the days of moderation if this little experiment with republican government is to survive this century.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I was just going to say the same thing. You can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a craft brewery or brew pub around here. I guess it’s nice that VT and all of NE for that matter are a brew hub but how sustainable can it be?  I think we are seeing some diversification up here with the growth of ciders, some distilleries and even some vineyards all sort of piggybacking on the craft beer craze. But I agree with Hippy, there is bound to be a shakeout at some point. 

Archived