Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

That's almost a guarantee. 

That’s such BS. Why couldn’t there be a winter time threat here? But I so want to come back in the spring...I guess like San Angelo which is maybe a couple hours NW of here is like a magnet for severe Wx and usually ends up being in the dry line zone. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

That’s such BS. Why couldn’t there be a winter time threat here? But I so want to come back in the spring...I guess like San Angelo which is maybe a couple hours NW of here is like a magnet for severe Wx and usually ends up being in the dry line zone. 

I prefer AMA or LBB, catch the storms rolling out of NM.

15 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Damn :/ 

is it really that bad though being with chaser congestion? 

170518103251-weather-tornado-convergence

Yes.

OK especially, and parts of TX and KS can be bad. When there is a moderate or high risk, everyone flocks to that area (typically relatively small and there are only so many storms).

Large slight risk days are better, because chasers will have to pick a target and can't just set up in the middle of a moderate risk.

I'm just getting FED UP. There I'll say it again I will rip this winters throaty out if it keeps on. This is VERMONT there should be more storm not floods rain bs and tornadoes coming through. I can't take a sip of coffee in the morning without something extreme ripping through my yard, and ripping the top of my well right out of the ground. If this continues mark my words.... the end of the world is coming. On another note my barometer seems to sense a storm coming soon.

2 hours ago, Weatherexpert said:

I'm just getting FED UP. There I'll say it again I will rip this winters throaty out if it keeps on. This is VERMONT there should be more storm not floods rain bs and tornadoes coming through. I can't take a sip of coffee in the morning without something extreme ripping through my yard, and ripping the top of my well right out of the ground. If this continues mark my words.... the end of the world is coming. On another note my barometer seems to sense a storm coming soon.

Dude, how long have you lived here? Ice jams happen pretty regularly. Some years are worse than others. Montpelier completely flooded in 1992. I’m not thinking this was the start of the world ending. 

2 hours ago, Weatherexpert said:

Obviously you aren't a legit person, just a troll. I'm sure you'll be gone soon.  

10 hours ago, Weatherexpert said:

there are not enough :weenie::weenie::weenie::weenie: for this post

16 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I prefer AMA or LBB, catch the storms rolling out of NM.

I love the region. The only bad thing about that region is the fact there's a huge canyon in middle of chasing zone so it's pretty much over once storms move past I-27... but most OKC/KC chasers wouldn't go that far out so it was more peaceful. Also, the terrain is better than western Oklahoma.

May 22, 2017 west of LBB was pretty epic for a 2% day despite being tornado-less. Double rainbows. Huge hailstones. Lightning over the desert. Mammatus at sunset. Epic Mexican meal in a small NM town. You almost couldn't ask for a better 2% day.

16 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Is it less congested there too? 

AMA is only few hours drive out of OKC so it's still a bit congested on big days. McLean and Shamrock were both PACKED during May 16 moderate risk because it was a PDS watch. We let other chasers go by and ended up watching McLean tornado 5-7 miles to north of the convergence.

Because of that, we got split from the majority of convergence because Elk City cell was too far south and we went after rain-wrapped 0.7 mile wedge near Wheeler... but I heard it was a nightmare following Elk City tornado because it was rain-wrapped and you got 100-125 cars on one road. 

14 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

That was a horrific situation. It's no wonder law enforcement is really trying to crack down on chasers

Yeah, we ran into few road blocks on big days in 2017. A bit annoying.

17 hours ago, Weatherexpert said:

Acid habit?  

IMG_2101.thumb.PNG.4dedc2c128fd9cd54d005fb9d2f1e3d0.PNG

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Hrmmm....video please. I'd like to hear it.

It happens in short bursts every 10-20 minutes so I'm unlikely to catch it.  I used to hear it a lot while waiting for the bus back in school.

Sounds like these must have seriously creeped out some caveman a few thousand years ago.

Here is a good recording of it:

1 hour ago, eekuasepinniW said:

The ice in the channel is making those star wars sound effects so loudly that I can hear them inside. Nice.

Probably the coolest of the many times I've heard those cracks and groans came in December of 1992.  A co-worker and I were staying - work-related - at the Maine Forest Service camp at Telos Lake, near the south end of the Allagash Wilderness waterway.  It was clear and cold, the snow-free ice was doing its thing, and we listened while watching the darkest total lunar eclipse I ever expect to see.  At totality, the moon was all but invisible, thanks to Pinatubo dust, and because the ice was unmuffled by snow and the temps were dropping into the singles, the sounds were frequent and loud.

Not weather related, but I missed a lot of lurking today due to quite the distraction. 3 younger adults came and stole some stuff from our cars last night. We had the doors unlocked so our bad there, but it's still a horrible feeling knowing people trespassed with the intent of robbing you. My security light came on and they still went for the cars. I got them on camera even though it's not the best quality. Ughh

1 hour ago, Nikoss427 said:

Not weather related, but I missed a lot of lurking today due to quite the distraction. 3 younger adults came and stole some stuff from our cars last night. We had the doors unlocked so our bad there, but it's still a horrible feeling knowing people trespassed with the intent of robbing you. My security light came on and they still went for the cars. I got them on camera even though it's not the best quality. Ughh

I feel for you. I’ve had that happen before.  My wife actually surprised someone in my car one night when she let the dog out.  I actually leave my car unlocked but make sure there is nothing of value in it. I’d rather not have someone smash the window in. Let them open it and find nothing. 

8 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Acid habit?  

IMG_2101.thumb.PNG.4dedc2c128fd9cd54d005fb9d2f1e3d0.PNG

I do not do acid, LSD, Mary Jane, or any variety of these "fun" drugs. However the medication I have been given to treat my influenza may have affected my ability to communicate the phenomenon going through my yard. A better way to describe it is, unknown but extreme weather entity whipping through every morning, causing extreme damage to my yard. Will update more after experts have come to check it out. It is actually going to be included in an episode of their tv show - I will direct you all to that episode once it is out. This is groundbreaking 

8 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

It happens in short bursts every 10-20 minutes so I'm unlikely to catch it.  I used to hear it a lot while waiting for the bus back in school.

Sounds like these must have seriously creeped out some caveman a few thousand years ago.

Here is a good recording of it:

This is amazing - thank you for sharing. I would love to see this for myself someday.

Archived