• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

this is funny anecdotally,... perhaps.  but some friends of mine (completely unaffiliated to anything weather...) happened to be at Channel 5 back in the day and happenstance got to meet Mark "Frozenskull" Rosenthal ... At the Wx Lab up at UML they used to dub him Mark Froze-then-thawed. 

Anyway, these outre friends said he was sitting in the studio prepping for his noon cast or something ... in Bermuda shorts, with the top two pieces of wardrobe suit donned over top.  He leans back ... raising one leg ... hands clasped, he suspended his bent knee.  They said they were taken back when as they were introduced to him, he matched that visage with a cavalier speaking manner... talking like a mash up between Keeno Reeves and "Arthur Fonzerelli" or something.  He was sporting a curly-haired mullet which only added... They said it was amazing how unserious he was about everything -

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

Yes. Kudos to our boy Ryan for surviving the rat race. The weather channel dumped Bill keneely years ago in favor of a series bimbos. He was one of their best and I can drive pretty much anywhere in America without a map thanks to Bill keneely.

Keneely was really good. I liked Mark mancuso too...when he and Cantore were on the desk together they used to say "welcome to the Italian power hour". Lol. It was great. 

TWC was ahead of the curve for a while in the 1990s...esp when they had their storm deal during big events. Before that they were sometimes slow to report changes in forecast modeling. 

But even back then I'd still really be waiting to tune into the 11pm news to see any changes in the forecast. 

13 minutes ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

Yes. Kudos to our boy Ryan for surviving the rat race. The weather channel dumped Bill keneely years ago in favor of a series bimbos. He was one of their best and I can drive pretty much anywhere in America without a map thanks to Bill keneely.

Keneely was amazing in his knowledge of small towns in every state, it was like Will and his memory of every car topper event from the past 20 years.  Growing up in SEPA he would mention tiny little towns and roads near me and I always wondered how the hell he knew them.

21 minutes ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

Twc was destroyed once they tried to monetize it around the turn of the century. Guys like Charlie Welsh and John hope wouldn't have a chance today. Bob Copeland would never make it to air today. 

Partially a casualty of the Information Age too. For a time, TWC was the only place you could get weather on TV when the local news wasn't airing. 

I do recall calling various weather phones too back in the late 1980s and early 1990s. But once we got cable it was TWC when it wasn't local news. 

But yeah, they def took it too much in the commercial direction of special programming and faces made for TV rather than quality of content. 

57 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Partially a casualty of the Information Age too. For a time, TWC was the only place you could get weather on TV when the local news wasn't airing. 

I do recall calling various weather phones too back in the late 1980s and early 1990s. But once we got cable it was TWC when it wasn't local news. 

But yeah, they def took it too much in the commercial direction of special programming and faces made for TV rather than quality of content. 

TWC in the '90s was its prime time for sure.  I think I only watched that and ESPN for almost a decade, lol.

The 80s was the golden era of the weather channel and the corny jingles. They only talked about weather and had zero documentaries or other bogus segments. I remember the Michelin drivers report, the European forecast, weather and your health, the days inn 5 day business planner, and the Juan baldez coffee commercials. And the blue weather radar out of Chatham.

11 minutes ago, geo1 said:

Yet all made their money! Way it goes, trendsetters! the on air mets got under paid I'm sure. And now they overpay the ones who don't know a lot. Some do but they have the challenges of being "good enough looking" to be on air. Sad really.

Salaries in weather went down years ago on television, and they'll go down in news. Matt Lauer's replacement is earning 17million less than he did while the ratings have gone up.

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Keneely was really good. I liked Mark mancuso too...when he and Cantore were on the desk together they used to say "welcome to the Italian power hour". Lol. It was great. 

TWC was ahead of the curve for a while in the 1990s...esp when they had their storm deal during big events. Before that they were sometimes slow to report changes in forecast modeling. 

But even back then I'd still really be waiting to tune into the 11pm news to see any changes in the forecast. 

Dave Shwartz Was the man in front of the camera

4 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Scott or anyone who is experienced with aviation forecasting...

We are supposed to fly out of Austin, TX tomorrow morning around 5:30 AM but the forecast looks iffy. What is the likelihood (in your opinion) of a delay or cancellation?

I don't know about out and out cancellation, but with FZRA in the TAF from 9z to 15z, I would count on a delay of some kind.

18 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I don't know about out and out cancellation, but with FZRA in the TAF from 9z to 15z, I would count on a delay of some kind.

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah good luck with that.

Thanks guys! 

We are freaking out :lol: 

our senester also starts Wednesday morning (but expecting classes to be cancelled) and we are supposed to fly out tomorrow morning and then move back into the dorms tomorrow afternoon. If the flight gets cancelled we could be stuck here to Thursday 

20 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Guess that forecast scared them real good.

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Ice or snow there, and you might as well start walking home. 

This is bull****. I come to TX hoping for severe Wx and yet I get freezing rain. What sucks is in like 2 months there will probably be EF 3’s within a 50 mile radius. 

Archived