Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna ask again since maybe someone responded. Is the server not accepting Tapatalk anymore? Kinda sucks if so. Posting and attaching pics which are limited to 4.8mb through browser version isn't very convenient. Maybe I'm in the minority IDK. Despite my complaining, I appreciate the efforts put into the board. 

I'm gonna ask again since maybe someone responded. Is the server not accepting Tapatalk anymore? Kinda sucks if so. Posting and attaching pics which are limited to 4.8mb through browser version isn't very convenient. Maybe I'm in the minority IDK. Despite my complaining, I appreciate the efforts put into the board. 
It's working fine for me through Tapatalk on a Samsung tablet.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

Interesting. I don’t recall paying to park back in the first year at Loon.

I was there last night with the kids. Rumor has it that the parking fee is to raise funds to do a much bigger version next year. It just seems crazy to pay to park in Lincoln. Agree though - always worth a visit, we’ve been going a couple of times a season for the past 3 years. 

4 minutes ago, alex said:

I was there last night with the kids. Rumor has it that the parking fee is to raise funds to do a much bigger version next year. It just seems crazy to pay to park in Lincoln. Agree though - always worth a visit, we’ve been going a couple of times a season for the past 3 years. 

Was there with my fiancé last night a bit after 5. Wish I had known, would have said hello if our time slots crossed.

And agreed, the parking lot is gigantic...considering there isn’t another parking option, you basically have to pay.hopefully it’s for something bigger, that would be cool.

17 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Was there with my fiancé last night a bit after 5. Wish I had known, would have said hello if our time slots crossed.

And agreed, the parking lot is gigantic...considering there isn’t another parking option, you basically have to pay.hopefully it’s for something bigger, that would be cool.

D’oh, that’s exactly when we were there! Just picked up the kids at daycare in franconia and headed over... small world!

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

So my coworkers sister owns the Brewery, new trials stout. Vanilla Coffee. Playoff games beer of choice, also have a Kronos stout to try.

20180111_115125.jpg

Nice connection.

They will can beers of your choice at the bar while you wait/watch.  I'm not sure of other places that do that.

The owners I think are from Ashburnham

55 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

But seriously, it is adding speed and storage, mainly with an eye towards the NGGPS coming in 2019. That basically takes the GFS from 13 km and 64 levels out to 10 days to 9 km and 128 levels out to 16 days. 

You can also rejoice in the upgrade to the CFS planned for 2022.

LOL. What a waste of bandwidth. Hopefully we can run the CFS out hourly some day.

Taunton MA NWS Disco now recorded for posterity - VERY fascinating read - I totally weenied out on it lol.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BOX&issuedby=BOX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

I hope you guys get much less rain, much less wind and that the colder air gets in faster to limit melting. You don't need flooding. Stay safe. You should have no problem getting the snow right back in a few days lol.

38 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Isn't that run using 4dvar?

Sort of. It's a hybrid 4DVAR.

We're getting pretty deep into the weeds here, but as I understand it (which could be wrong) the 4DenVAR the NGGPS uses takes some assumptions used in 3DVAR and carries them over. The "en" in 4DenVAR stands for ensemble, which it uses to create trajectories that sample background errors. More simply, the ob is compared to the first guess, then it passes to the ensemble which spits out all the ways the first guess should be adjusted. 

The advantage is that it is flexible and scalable for future upgrades. The disadvantage is that it still relies on climatological covariance more. So we need a bigger and better ensemble. More of the reason why the supercomputer is being upgraded.

Archived