joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned on the cold wave thread that I ended December as my 4th coldest December but I didn't want to clutter up the thread with other data from the year so here it is.  The year actually finished 5th warmest on my record with a mean temp of 49.2°.  I think a lot of that was helped by ending last winter as the 8th warmest and this fall as the 7th warmest.

Summer was my 4th coolest and so was much of the warmer part of the year with May, June, July August all ranking in my top 10.  I couldn't ask for better timing on that.

In terms of precip, it was my 7th driest year with 39.65" falling.  It was my third year in a row with less than 40" of precip.

Mainers....................................

You are about to get shellacked by at least 40 inches of snow.

Don't be lazy. Get out there and dig snow! Use a snowshovel! Don't be like weathafella and use a blower! He's OLD, dilapidated, washed-up, turned in and played out! You guys are all young and fit! Use a shovel like The Jebman! You are New Englanders! Show some PRIDE!

Don't make me have to come up there and take every last one of you by the hand, show you how to dig snow like a true New Englander! I expect Jebman Standards to be followed! None of these puny 12 inch wide walkways you folks seem to always be inclined to eke out because you think the snow is too damn heavy, or because you think it is too damn cold out! You think THIS is cold? I expect EIGHT FEET shoveled out lovingly around each car! Walkways are to be at least 30 inches wide! Attitude is EVERYTHING! Savor each shovelful lovingly! Get a paint scraper and scrape every last bit of snow off those walks and roads and PILE IT UP to embarrassing heights!

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:27 PM, BRSno said:

Any chance we know what Logan's longest sub 32º stretch was before? Haven't reached freezing since Monday and not looking likely for the next week. 

They stayed below 32 for 16 days, 1/19/-2/3/61.  That same period is NYC's longest streak; don't know about BOS.  (And this assumes that their obs site was Logan back then.)

6 hours ago, tamarack said:

They stayed below 32 for 16 days, 1/19/-2/3/61.  That same period is NYC's longest streak; don't know about BOS.  (And this assumes that their obs site was Logan back then.)

Nearly equaled in 2015, 15 days, with a 34 and 36 on either end.

IIRC 2015 easily set the <40 record, 43 days 1/20-3/3

Is there anything up with the ASOS at KBML? It was -7 there at 8 a.m., -4 at 10 p.m., and 36 at 3 p.m. (reported high), which was warmer than any other reporting station in New England today (ACK hit 35). Seems like they have it in the sun up there … HIE and IZG were in the mid-20s.

29 minutes ago, 512high said:

OceanStWx, good morning, is it safe to say for ASH this should wind down by say 6pm to snow showers or will I be still snowing at a good clip? If I understand some models showing snow till 9ish? thanks ahead of time

It looks like the heavy band of snow could still be lingering around 6-7 PM, but should be quickly winding down around that time.

38 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

NYC-BOS has been so spoiled in the past 10-15 years.

We have had some good winters during that time period but we have also had some awful winters during that same time period. 11-12 and 15-16 were years that were awful. During that time period I have noticed that there have been more storms that have produced blizzard conditions. 

15 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

We have had some good winters during that time period but we have also had some awful winters during that same time period. 11-12 and 15-16 were years that were awful. During that time period I have noticed that there have been more storms that have produced blizzard conditions. 

That's what I mean -- big storms.  

3 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

When was the last time a big storm hit your area?

Depends how it's defined I guess.  I had a double digit storm this past March (which was mostly lake effect -- a treat since I'm outside of the real Indiana lake effect snow belt -- but it counts) but January/February were absolutely awful at my location... like historically snowless.  I realize my big storm climo isn't as good as the east coast.  I have seen some good ones over the years but the past couple years have been pretty bad outside of that March storm. Perhaps I'm just a bit salty right now staring at my modest, stale snowcover and having to endure this long stretch of brutal cold.  :P

10 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Depends how it's defined I guess.  I had a double digit storm this past March (which was mostly lake effect -- a treat since I'm outside of the real Indiana lake effect snow belt -- but it counts) but January/February were absolutely awful at my location... like historically snowless.  I realize my big storm climo isn't as good as the east coast.  I have seen some good ones over the years but the past couple years have been pretty bad outside of that March storm. Perhaps I'm just a bit salty right now staring at my modest, stale snowcover and having to endure this long stretch of brutal cold.  :P

I understand but at least you have snow on the ground and it's been cold. I'll take that over bare ground and mild. Are there any good books that cover historical winter weather for Indiana?  Good books for New England are Early American Winters Vol 1 and 2. I like to read about the winter histories from around the county. A great book for the UP of Michigan is So Cold a Sky

1 hour ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I understand but at least you have snow on the ground and it's been cold. I'll take that over bare ground and mild. Are there any good books that cover historical winter weather for Indiana?  Good books for New England are Early American Winters Vol 1 and 2. I like to read about the winter histories from around the county. A great book for the UP of Michigan is So Cold a Sky

Honestly I have no idea.

4 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

The bible for northeast snow storms.

https://www.amazon.com/Northeast-Snowstorms-1-2-Set/dp/1878220640

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Ah now that sounds like DVN. 

@Damage In Tolland Ok ,so my business travels will have me in Southbridge tomorrow AM for a 9am meeting with a client.  I'm figuring it'll take me a couple hours to do what I need to do.  Treehouse is 15min so I was thinking of making the trek since I doubt I will do it otherwise.  Any ideas on how long I can expect to wait it I get there around noon?  Also, what should I focus on grabbing?  I'll likely grab 6 4-packs as a mixed case.

8 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

@Damage In Tolland Ok ,so my business travels will have me in Southbridge tomorrow AM for a 9am meeting with a client.  I'm figuring it'll take me a couple hours to do what I need to do.  Treehouse is 15min so I was thinking of making the trek since I doubt I will do it otherwise.  Any ideas on how long I can expect to wait it I get there around noon?  Also, what should I focus on grabbing?  I'll likely grab 6 4-packs as a mixed case.

bump

Archived