SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dim moon with steady Arctic flake light snow...must be more than diamond dust despite the relatively clear skies as the cars are dusted up.  

Might be the highlight of the next ten days these little dusting but the tourists are getting a good sense for mountain weather haha.  They also can't figure out why it's snowing with fairly clear skies.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Dim moon with steady Arctic flake light snow...must be more than diamond dust despite the relatively clear skies as the cars are dusted up.  

Might be the highlight of the next ten days these little dusting but the tourists are getting a good sense for mountain weather haha.  They also can't figure out why it's snowing with fairly clear skies.

Haha yes my brother who’s visiting commented on how bizarre it is

Well something I can't recall seeing before, but I'm pretty sure we had some lake effect snow on Sebago last night. Right over the center of the lake, and it drifted around with the wind (based on the movement of the larger band offshore).

@eekuasepinniW, have you/did you see something similar over on Winnipesaukee? (too shallow for our radar to see).

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Well something I can't recall seeing before, but I'm pretty sure we had some lake effect snow on Sebago last night. Right over the center of the lake, and it drifted around with the wind (based on the movement of the larger band offshore).

@eekuasepinniW, have you/did you see something similar over on Winnipesaukee? (too shallow for our radar to see).

There's been reports of it. I had a radar loop on my old comp of possible enhancement of a streamer over the lake too. People in Alton have claimed that it's true.

11 hours ago, dryslot said:

The diamond dust phenomenon has been prevalent this last week.

Looks like you had some at the airport this morning.

METAR KLEW 301056Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM CLR M29/M32 A3007 RMK AO2 SNE17 SLP203 P0000 T12941322 FZRANO =
METAR KLEW 300956Z AUTO 00000KT 4SM -SN BR FEW001 M29/M32 A3006 RMK AO2 SNB50 SLP198 P0000 T12941317 FZRANO =
METAR KLEW 300941Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM FEW001 M29/M32 A3005 RMK AO2 FZRANO =
METAR KLEW 300856Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM CLR M29/M32 A3004 RMK AO2 SLP192 T12891317 58005 FZRANO =

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There's been reports of it. I had a radar loop on my old comp of possible enhancement of a streamer over the lake too. People in Alton have claimed that it's true.

I don't doubt it, because I'm sure that's what it was on Sebago this morning. It was definitely meteorological (high CC). 

Almost like the tea kettle LES that doesn't form a streamer but percolates in place.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like you had some at the airport this morning.

METAR KLEW 301056Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM CLR M29/M32 A3007 RMK AO2 SNE17 SLP203 P0000 T12941322 FZRANO =
METAR KLEW 300956Z AUTO 00000KT 4SM -SN BR FEW001 M29/M32 A3006 RMK AO2 SNB50 SLP198 P0000 T12941317 FZRANO =
METAR KLEW 300941Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM FEW001 M29/M32 A3005 RMK AO2 FZRANO =
METAR KLEW 300856Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM CLR M29/M32 A3004 RMK AO2 SLP192 T12891317 58005 FZRANO =

Yeah, And here too, Can see it on my trucks tonneau cover.

16 hours ago, dendrite said:

The 12F is kinda bogus. 2nd on the list is 14F in 1917. BOS had a high of 5F on that day and CON -11F. ORH probably should've been near 0F with an early midnight high. I assume the 24hr obs time for the COOP back then was something like 8a-8a instead of the current midnight LST.

Yeah they must have had late evening or late afternoon obs time at the old site. That airmass was ridiculous. 

I've never seen it but don't doubt it's happened. Though, I'm willing to bet most reports of lake effect snow from people in the Wolfeboro/Alton/Gilford area would be from blowing snow, which can turn into a VERY impressive thick continuous cloud on a steady northwest wind following a fluffy snowfall.

The lake has done a ton of freezing in the last 48 hours and is probably >80% iced over now.  I can only find one cam showing some open water in the broads.  Should be a good year for the ice fisherman.

3 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I've never seen it but don't doubt it's happened. Though, I'm willing to bet most reports of lake effect snow from people in the Wolfeboro/Alton/Gilford area would be from blowing snow, which can turn into a VERY impressive thick continuous cloud on a steady northwest wind following a fluffy snowfall.

The lake has done a ton of freezing in the last 48 hours and is probably >80% iced over now.  I can only find one cam showing some open water in the broads.  Should be a good year for the ice fisherman.

GNR gets some good BS episodes too when Moosehead freezes up.

43 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah they must have had late evening or late afternoon obs time at the old site. That airmass was ridiculous. 

Temps were plummeting on 12/28 into 29th in 1917.  NYC's last 4 days of that month:

12/28   35/8
12/29    8/-6
12/30    2/-13
12/31    6/-7

And New Year's Day was something like 10/-4.

12 hours ago, DomNH said:

It's cold as hell walking around downtown Nashua tonight. Back to the beer discussion, I just had a Collective Arts IPA #4 which is a very solid NEIPA. Haven't had any Treehouse yet but this seems to be on the Trillium level to me.

Nice! I've been working through some Trillium Dialed In and Fort Point this past week. Also had a balling imperial coffee stout. Still waiting to try Treehouse as well.

5 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

ok Erie PA makes news with 65 inches of snow and the peak depth is around 30 inches on the 26th and down to 14 this morning????

they measure and clear the board every hour?? geez

so for impact they really just had a 25-30 inch snowstorm???

such bs....65 inches

Extremely high ratio fluff.  Less than 3” of liquid in there.  Over 20:1 ratios

Compacts super easily.  That stuff near the Tug was heartier 

11 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

ok but how do they even know they had that much?? i thought we weren't measuring all the time anymore

Well Erie is a climate site, so chances are CLE has a contract with someone to measure "every" 6 hours. I say "every" because sometimes if it's not airport staff and a nearby citizen that after midnight observation is skipped. 

Well Erie is a climate site, so chances are CLE has a contract with someone to measure "every" 6 hours. I say "every" because sometimes if it's not airport staff and a nearby citizen that after midnight observation is skipped. 

whatever it really is fake news to some degree...the reason I looked was bc Reed Timmer showed up on my fb feed with "driving around in blinding snow in Erie" and it looked like there was over a foot otg but I thought....how could that be they just had more than 5 feet

and I thought some of the esne totals in jan 2015 were over doing it... ie storm total 28 inches, max depth 21 inches and so on

7 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

whatever it really is fake news to some degree...the reason I looked was bc Reed Timmer showed up on my fb feed with "driving around in blinding snow in Erie" and it looked like there was over a foot otg but I thought....how could that be they just had more than 5 feet

and I thought some of the esne totals in jan 2015 were over doing it... ie storm total 28 inches, max depth 21 inches and so on

I mean that's what you get with 40:1 ratios.

But it's still a pain in the rear to keep roads clear when it's coming down at those LES rates. Every bit the hazard our snow is. It just doesn't stick around as long.

1 hour ago, codfishsnowman said:

I take it you haven't been in lake effect very often. That stuff is literally like 30 to 1 and sometimes 40 to 1. You can get 5" per hour but it compacts very quickly. 

The jan 2015 storm was like that but not as extreme. It was like 20 to 1 stuff for a good chunk of that deformation band over ORH. I was right in it and it reminded me of lake effect. Perfect dendrites and cold temp and despite it being a blizzard, the winds were not that strong during the meat of that band. Not strong enough to shatter the dendrites anyway so the ratios were maintained pretty well. I had 34.5" but prob never reached a depth over 28-29" and that included like 4" OTG before the storm started. 

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Anyone sign up for the trial of Maue's new site yet? Is it the same stuff he had up on wx.graphics or does he have a lot more added? Since he's making this a pay site he better be adding for upper level EC data instead of going heavy with the snow maps and 2m temps.

Nah, I want 10:1, 13:1, Kuchera, and a dynamic ratio.

Archived