Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I literally was just coming in here to post that...LOL. Wow. Yeah he gets that and some snow tomorrow it seems. Good for him.

His OES band is actually lifting north and merging with the OES fingers off the coast of ME. Hi-res stuff actually had that, merging into a stronger band that gets ripped out to sea when the trof passes.

49 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I've been spending some time in my thunderstorms folder this morning and thought I'd share this beauty.

WUNIDS_map.gif

A beauty!  Actually, several of them.  Do you have GYX loop for 8/30 that year?  That was the hailstorm that defoliated (and in some spots, debarked) trees on 7,000 acres just north of Belgrade Lakes.  I think there were some 70 dbz pixels in that one.

28 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Really shallow stuff, our radar is barely picking it up. But that can work in a super cold environment since the DGZ is so close to the ground.

Same in Exeter NH; light snow for past 30 min or so. Wondering if this is a prelude to what many of us up here will be seeing tomorrow evening with the next shortwave...

59 minutes ago, tamarack said:

A beauty!  Actually, several of them.  Do you have GYX loop for 8/30 that year?  That was the hailstorm that defoliated (and in some spots, debarked) trees on 7,000 acres just north of Belgrade Lakes.  I think there were some 70 dbz pixels in that one.

I don't seem to have a wunderground loop for that one, but I was curious so I found this link.  It's not as nice, but it still shows a pretty nasty looking storm.

20 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

That was the early show. The hail in the Belgrade Lakes area was around 20-21z. That lead cell.

That's the beast.  Thanks, guys.  The earlier one caught us during our peer-review woods tour north of The Forks, though we were able to scurry back to the vehicles before the deluge.  The Rome Ruinator put 4" deep hail (mostly nickels and quarters) along Rt 27, with runoff building piles that were still pretty big 24 hours of temp 60+ later.  In one sense I was disappointed in not experiencing hail that was about a million times more than all the hail (combined) I've seen at my various residences during my lifetime.  In another sense, I'm really glad it wasn't my woodlot that got wrecked.  It was way cool next morning driving on a 2-track (Rt 27!) thru 6" of leaf salad.

30 minutes ago, tamarack said:

That's the beast.  Thanks, guys.  The earlier one caught us during our peer-review woods tour north of The Forks, though we were able to scurry back to the vehicles before the deluge.  The Rome Ruinator put 4" deep hail (mostly nickels and quarters) along Rt 27, with runoff building piles that were still pretty big 24 hours of temp 60+ later.  In one sense I was disappointed in not experiencing hail that was about a million times more than all the hail (combined) I've seen at my various residences during my lifetime.  In another sense, I'm really glad it wasn't my woodlot that got wrecked.  It was way cool next morning driving on a 2-track (Rt 27!) thru 6" of leaf salad.

I think the in-laws' place on Long Pond is going to be a great spot to watch some monsters roll through the area. They even have a "boat house" that provides some shelter for picture taking.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

9F at Logan at 1pm in late December. Pretty impressive.

6F at ORH....wondering if they get back to back single digit high temps.

At any rate, 12F is the record low max today for ORH, so that's probably gonna get shattered unless we see some after-dark temp rises.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Embrace the temp talk. :devilsmiley:

It's all we got.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

At any rate, 12F is the record low max today for ORH, so that's probably gonna get shattered unless we see some after-dark temp rises.

The clouds probably helped, but now it's clearing. But yeah...would think that is in jeopardy.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The 12F is kinda bogus. 2nd on the list is 14F in 1917. BOS had a high of 5F on that day and CON -11F. ORH probably should've been near 0F with an early midnight high. I assume the 24hr obs time for the COOP back then was something like 8a-8a instead of the current midnight LST.

Archived