Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if anything happened precip-wise here at the Pit.  It looks like the temp was dropping steadily since the 45* midnight high with the secondary push coming through at 9:45.

Temp at Pit 2 had dropped from 43* to 40* before I left at 9:00a.m.--just a few sprinkles when it came through there.

36.0/21

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

I'm not sure if anything happened precip-wise here at the Pit.  It looks like the temp was dropping steadily since the 45* midnight high with the secondary push coming through at 9:45.

Temp at Pit 2 had dropped from 43* to 40* before I left at 9:00a.m.--just a few sprinkles when it came through there.

36.0/21

Hope you enjoy SF.  Will you be in the city?

49 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Chilly and blustery NW winds today, 35°F

Same as Pit 2 per nearby PWS.  Here in Shelburne, down to 33.5*

21 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Hope you enjoy SF.  Will you be in the city?

Thanks.  I'm sure I'll get there at some point, but unfortunately I'm staying at the airport Hyatt.  My new company's in Redwood City.

Brian or anyone else, have you noticed a siggy difference between Davis and other thermometers? My Davis is always 2-3 warmer at night. I understand the shield issues between Davis and other thermos, but it even happens in mixed atmospheres too. I'm not sure if I should shave a few tenths off the Davis...or maybe it's right? We shall see in winter during any ptype or refreeze setups. 

34 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Same as Pit 2 per nearby PWS.  Here in Shelburne, down to 33.5*

Thanks.  I'm sure I'll get there at some point, but unfortunately I'm staying at the airport Hyatt.  My new company's in Redwood City.

You’re right on a BART station to explore the city after hours.  Really easy to do and car free.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Brian or anyone else, have you noticed a siggy difference between Davis and other thermometers? My Davis is always 2-3 warmer at night. I understand the shield issues between Davis and other thermos, but it even happens in mixed atmospheres too. I'm not sure if I should shave a few tenths off the Davis...or maybe it's right? We shall see in winter during any ptype or refreeze setups. 

I’ve never had a problem. Do you have a lot of vegetation around it that could be radiating heat back to it? Did you get the FARS or passive? Is your data on WU or anywhere else?

You’re a QC guy so I can’t really troublshoot anything with you meteorologically that you wouldn’t already know. I know some of the passive shields can run a little too cool on rad nights as the whole shield loses excess heat which conducts to the sensor. If you’re fine during the day I’d be inclined to think it’s real.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’ve never had a problem. Do you have a lot of vegetation around it that could be radiating heat back to it? Did you get the FARS or passive? Is your data on WU or anywhere else?

You’re a QC guy so I can’t really troublshoot anything with you meteorologically that you wouldn’t already know. I know some of the passive shields can run a little too cool on rad nights as the whole shield loses excess heat which conducts to the sensor. If you’re fine during the day I’d be inclined to think it’s real.

He’s finally realizing backyard weather is real and does differ from ASOS. Where people live 

55 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It's passive. It does seem to make sense during the day so I suppose it's correct. It's not online yet. 

29 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

That looks nothing like ones I have seen before.  Very cool.  What causes the extended funnel look with that?

21 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Probably had to do with the winds and once the ice nucleation process started the cloud began to drop in that circular/funnel shape.

Also looks like some shadowing there from clouds at multiple levels? Maybe a contrail (chemtrail :ph34r:) happened to be in the same location.

Archived