Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

6 hours of leaf blowing and mowing today. Beds were a disaster . 

Same here. Cleaned gutters too. And hang lights. My cleanup won't be done though. Still lots of leaves on oaks left. Just brown and acting like they are fused to the tree. I've never seen this.

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Same here. Cleaned gutters too. And hang lights. My cleanup won't be done though. Still lots of leaves on oaks left. Just brown and acting like they are fused to the tree. I've never seen this.

Yeah I'm going to have to do a final leaf cleanup in December. There are still a bunch left. Annoying. 

30 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Mine are about 95% down, but one final cleanup next weekend should do it , with the wind coming this week. It’s one species. But what is weird is half the white Oaks are bare , and the other half still have some stragglers. The gypsies ate a lot of them, but there’s a lot of half leaves up there. Maybe Tamarac can offer an explanation. Other than the endless summer in October, I’m not sure what else it could be

High temps at the first order BOX sites were all +1 to +2 today and the lows were -3 to -5. Fail on adding some positive departures to the month. 

Torch next week looks pretty muted with that high moving in Wednesday capping things off. Pretty much guaranteed to finish November below normal.  

1 minute ago, Isotherm said:

Wonder if there is any validity to the hypothesis that the frigid nights "shocked" the trees. Most red oaks are fully leafed here, but finally brown. Latest I've ever seen by 10+ days. Normally we're 95% down by early November. @tamarack

Yeah same here. I can't recall seeing this. All my neighbors said the same...the leaves are really stuck this year.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

My parent's oaks have brown leaves on them at like Christmas.  Those things never fall.

The downside of my new spot, finally moved in, tons of trees surrounding and on the property. Just endless amounts of leaves on 2 acres. Previous owner decided not to cut the lawn one last time in October nor pickup any leaves this month. Thanks pal. Not sure I will have the time to cleanup before first snows either...but I have a hard time paying someone to do it it. Not about the money, it’s just how I grew up...my dad (rip), brother, and I always did yard work ourselves. Another downside, long big driveway, too big to shovel or snowblow. Probably will need to look into a used utility atv with a plow, suggestions welcomed.

Tons of upside living here now, though. 20 miles east of DXR, better for Miller Bs, tops the list. A little sledding hill on my front lawn for the little guy...and just overall, the wife is happier in a much bigger space. I guess that’s important too. 

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The downside of my new spot, finally moved in, tons of trees surrounding and on the property. Just endless amounts of leaves on 2 acres. Previous owner decided not to cut the lawn one last time in October nor pickup any leaves this month. Thanks pal. Not sure I will have the time to cleanup before first snows either...but I have a hard time paying someone to do it it. Not about the money, it’s just how I grew up...my dad (rip), brother, and I always did yard work ourselves. Another downside, long big driveway, too big to shovel or snowblow. Probably will need to look into a used utility atv with a plow, suggestions welcomed.

Tons of upside living here now, though. 20 miles east of DXR, better for Miller Bs, tops the list. A little sledding hill on my front lawn for the little guy...and just overall, the wife is happier in a much bigger space. I guess that’s important too. 

What town? Roxbury?

post pics of trees and lawn 

41 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I was surprised how many oak leaves remained on the trees around Manchester last weekend. That whole I293 belt was full of brown leaves.

The folks that wanted endless summer and didn’t mind it. That’s one of the bad prices we pay. Leaves that don’t change and fall on time .. and then the holidays and snow come before they’re down 

Since we talked about it the other day... this time a woman was shot and killed by a hunter who thought she was a deer near my sister's house in New York's southern tier.

This is the 4th or 5th story of this happening I've read this fall in the northeast (NH, ME, PA etc) , luckily not all of them involved death but still...how do you shoot at something that you aren't sure what it is?  The hunter was after sun-down, so he's probably screwed there.  At least he realized his mistake and called 911 while providing what medical care he could. 

This stuff scares the sh*t out of me this time of year knowing I walk my black lab daily through fields and woods around here. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/woman-fatally-shot-hunter-mistook-deer-article-1.3654778

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Since we talked about it the other day... this time a woman was shot and killed by a hunter who thought she was a deer near my sister's house in New York's southern tier.

This is the 4th or 5th story of this happening I've read this fall in the northeast (NH, ME, PA etc) , luckily not all of them involved death but still...how do you shoot at something that you aren't sure what it is?  The hunter was after sun-down, so he's probably screwed there.  At least he realized his mistake and called 911 while providing what medical care he could. 

This stuff scares the sh*t out of me this time of year knowing I walk my black lab daily through fields and woods around here. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/woman-fatally-shot-hunter-mistook-deer-article-1.3654778

Anyone who does that should be held accountable. Don't give me that wear orange bullsh*t. If you are just going to shoot at anything that moves...I'm sorry...you deserve a day in court. 

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Don't all deer hunters have scopes? I know way back when I had a 1968 Remington 30-06 I had a scope and if it was not a target I would hold my trigger finger. This guy should be held accountable.

49 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Anyone who does that should be held accountable. Don't give me that wear orange bullsh*t. If you are just going to shoot at anything that moves...I'm sorry...you deserve a day in court. 

Exactly my point the other day with Tamarack. Didn’t mean to offend hunters, it was not an attack on them. There is always a bad seed that ruins it for the rest, so to speak. 

27 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Just took these. You can see mostly bare. Mainly an Oak forest . The ones left are straggling white Oaks. Is that what yours look like?

vezfHbb.jpg2J8Cahy.jpg

In your first pic...the ones on the right that have all those leaves. I still have those. Even some that are still turning. And then about half that are almost bare. Not sure what species it is, but there are lots of leaves yet to fall.

12 hours ago, J Paul Gordon said:

My grandmother used to say that when the oak leaves held on strong it would be a hard winter. Some Yankee folk wisdom from southern New Hampshire. Also, mountain ashes were practically bending over with berries this year. Squirrels are very bushy tailed too. 

If that was the case, It would be a bad winter every year here, My oaks don't shed until spring, And then they end up at the neighbors........:lol:

Archived