Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

50 is normal high for BDL and BOS today. Same tomorrow I assume.

I've been shocked sometimes this month looking at climo and then what we are experiencing.  It should be very good news to all about how these cold shots seem to be performing well and not modifying greatly as they approach.

Take today for example at MVL in the valley bottom.  Normal is 43/25 for November 20th.  Today's high is showing as 24F.  It was 22F at 2pm/3pm/4pm... so today's temperatures were lower than the average minimum for this date.  Middle of the afternoon pre-Thanksgiving and its 22F with under 1sm visibility snow isn't bad for 700ft elevation.

Up at the office it struggled to get out of the teens today... and then there was the surprise out-of-nowhere snowfall.  Took this photo when it started as I didn't expect it to last for 3-4 hours.

Meanwhile, tomorrow we'll see more "normal" weather with highs in the 40s below 1,500ft.  Quite the rollercoaster.

23669108_10103236520788260_7564231445445

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I've been shocked sometimes this month looking at climo and then what we are experiencing.  It should be very good news to all about how these cold shots seem to be performing well and not modifying greatly as they approach.

Take today for example at MVL in the valley bottom.  Normal is 43/25 for November 20th.  Today's high is showing as 24F.  It was 22F at 2pm/3pm/4pm... so today's temperatures were lower than the average minimum for this date.  Middle of the afternoon pre-Thanksgiving and its 22F with under 1sm visibility snow isn't bad for 700ft elevation.

Up at the office it struggled to get out of the teens today... and then there was the surprise out-of-nowhere snowfall.  Took this photo when it started as I didn't expect it to last for 3-4 hours.

Meanwhile, tomorrow we'll see more "normal" weather with highs in the 40s below 1,500ft.  Quite the rollercoaster.

I was sort of thinking the same thing with the system this past weekend. Oh how we pray to get a cutter that only raises our temps to slightly above normal for 5-6 hours in the middle of winter. I think my high was 45F Sunday before the front pushed through. 

Nice winter evening out there... just had to run to the grocery store and it is crisp out there with some fresh snow. 

20F at MVL and my car dipped down to 19F.  If we can clear out with enough fresh snow that the grass is fully covered, it could get quite cold in the valleys tonight despite rising temps aloft.

Huge gradient across New England.  Can't believe its 20 degrees warmer down in SNE and yet 10 degrees colder up in northern Maine.  Wintry appeal for sure today.  Look at that... 11F in Maine and 45F in Connecticut!

svGeq8C.jpg

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Nice winter evening out there... just had to run to the grocery store and it is crisp out there with some fresh snow. 

20F at MVL and my car dipped down to 19F.  If we can clear out with enough fresh snow that the grass is fully covered, it could get quite cold in the valleys tonight despite rising temps aloft.

Huge gradient across New England.  Can't believe its 20 degrees warmer down in SNE and yet 10 degrees colder up in northern Maine.  Wintry appeal for sure today.  Look at that... 11F in Maine and 45F in Connecticut!

svGeq8C.jpg

Yup, my temp has been rising steadily...pushing 60 tomorrow

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

svGeq8C.jpg

Enjoy 50 today and 55 Saturday 

34 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Maybe this will make chasing more successful for Wiz. 

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-thunderstorms-larger-frequent.html

"Future storms will also be wilder, soaking entire cities and huge portions of states, according to a federally-funded study released Monday in the journal Nature Climate Change."

:lol:

6 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

"Future storms will also be wilder, soaking entire cities and huge portions of states, according to a federally-funded study released Monday in the journal Nature Climate Change."

:lol:

LOL, "covering an entire city instead of half of it." What the hell does that even mean? These people who know nothing about operational meteorology are studying computer models, taking it 100% and then throwing out this stuff. Go back and read the tree rings. I believe in AGW, but some of this stuff doesn't even make sense meteorologically.

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL, "covering an entire city instead of half of it." What the hell does that even mean? These people who know nothing about operational meteorology are studying computer models, taking it 100% and then throwing out this stuff. Go back and read the tree rings. I believe in AGW, but some of this stuff doesn't even make sense meteorologically.

I could see stronger storms but the dramatic increase in rain suggestion is baffling.

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I could see stronger storms but the dramatic increase in rain suggestion is baffling.

A warmer atmosphere holds more water vapor, but the way that article is worded suggests to me they aren't the most weather savvy. Anyways as always..buyer beware. No different than the clowns on the other side telling us it's fake news.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

AGW is real, but those hype studies always make me laugh. 80% more rain? lawl...maybe once palm trees start becoming native to NH again.

How much of that is because the AP story trying to rewrite the findings into laymen's term resulted in a lot lost in translation.

I'm always hesitant to toss a study based on a non scientist reporter's translation. 

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

How much of that is because the AP story trying to rewrite the findings into laymen's term resulted in a lot lost in translation.

I'm always hesitant to toss a study based on a non scientist reporter's translation. 

This write up from Bob Henson makes a lot more sense and seems like a much more accurate version - https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/new-study-larger-more-intense-us-storm-complexes-way?__prclt=RPx0M8fN

Archived