Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

6 hours ago, NECT said:

Pics or it didn't happen. Actually, I totally believe you...just need some snow here soon.

It was a fun day of weather.  Mild and raining this morning... full-on winter this afternoon.  We've had some fun frontal passages this November.

23658773_10103234993254450_7454872973745

zKVzDaq.jpg

There was like a half inch of rock solid frozen slush on my car.  Took a little while to even get the car door open.  Flash freeze.  The snow blowing off the cars left 1-2" in the parking lot and I found exactly 1" on the snowboard.  Not much but another dense, water-logged and now frozen accumulation.  "Its good for the base?"

Wintry appeal.

PStvgpC.jpg

The skiing was a lot of fun this afternoon, considering it had been raining and then the temperature rapidly dropped 20 degrees.  From spring to winter in a matter of hours is always a fun weather day.

Jf6KS0S.jpg

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Basically wire to wire below normal temps and above normal precip. Jesus.

I'm pretty sure he had the same forecast in 01-02 too ;)

Hope he's right.

He went for group think in 2001-02.  He was certainly not alone. Consensus was for a hard winter.   What a colossal bust!

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

He calls it like he sees it. We hope he’s right. While 40/70’s outlook isn’t as extreme, the general background idea is similar. 

Definitely some agreement between seasonal forecasters this year and they're backing it up with lot of research. I try to not invest into seasonal forecasts, especially if they're on the extreme side, but I understand that there are skill into doing them.

I do have to vouch for DT's skill as a medium-range forecaster for big events in our backyard (North Carolina/Virginia) so we'll have to see if he's right about this upcoming winter. I haven't seen 40/70's outlook yet so I'll give it a read tonight.

Archived