Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

57 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Fyi, there is a quick hitting virus going around. Causes sore throat, inflamed tonsils, and a fever. It's not strep (bacteria). fever lasts about 24hrs, hits hard but then it's gone. Sore throat with inflamed tonsils lasts a few days...i figured so many of you guys have kids I'd just let you know it's out there, lurking, waiting to invade your home

Yup.  Lots of it at my school.  What fun

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yes, you can best judge a brewery by how well they can do a Lager.  Being able to execute a German or Czech beer, true to style is what separates the boy Brewers from the man Brewers. 

Also palates are very different.   And example is a certain percentage of the population just cannot tolerate the taste of cilantro,  I think a similar phenomenon exists with Belgian ale yeast  and a certain percentage of the population who just cannot stand the taste of Belgian beer.  There are certainly people who just cannot deal with the big hoppy beers  and this is why it is important to have many styles.

HTTPS9rYXBvc3QtZmlsZXMtcHJvZC5zMy5hbWF6b

5 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Pretty nice sheets of rain drifting out of the left side of this perma-shower on Lanai yesterday evening.  The island looks too low to generate much rain, but it actually climbs to 3366'. Very nice.

The Hawaiian Islands are sneaky massive. They are just so broad they don't seem that tall. 

Very jealous. Considering I'm trying to decide if it's 33.8 and +DZ or 33.8 and -RA right now.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

The Hawaiian Islands are sneaky massive. They are just so broad they don't seem that tall. 

Very jealous. Considering I'm trying to decide if it's 33.8 and +DZ or 33.8 and -RA right now.

I remember the first time I landed here and saw Haleakala from central Maui.  Never would have guessed a 10,000' mountain could look so lame. On days without clouds, it reminded me of Red Hill in Center Harbor.  The backside of Haleakala is about as wildly dramatic as a mountain can get, though. I'm making the complete loop around it tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I remember the first time I landed here and saw Haleakala from central Maui.  Never would have guessed a 10,000' mountain could look so lame. On days without clouds, it reminded me of Red Hill in Center Harbor.  The backside of Haleakala is about as wildly dramatic as a mountain can get, though. I'm making the complete loop around it tomorrow.

I had the same thought the first time I visited Maui. 

I wished we had had more time to explore the Kipahulu District when we did the road to Hana, but it takes so damn long on that road we had to get moving before dark set in.

7 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Pretty nice sheets of rain drifting out of the left side of this perma-shower on Lanai yesterday evening.  The island looks too low to generate much rain, but it actually climbs to 3366'. Very nice.

20171117_175805.jpg

Great photo! It's 36 and raining here. No photos from here.

7 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I had the same thought the first time I visited Maui. 

I wished we had had more time to explore the Kipahulu District when we did the road to Hana, but it takes so damn long on that road we had to get moving before dark set in.

We had that issue too. By the time we got back to where we started it was dark. I did not want to be on that gnarly dry side of the mtn where cars were left abandoned after driving off a cliff, after dark.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Still in the 30s here, but climbing. The wedge may temper the initial impulse of wind with the fropa. 

Temp is rising quickly right now.  41F.   Now that my station is on Weather Underground I watch the local stations around me.  A station 1 mile way but 300 feet higher just jumped to 47F.  What a flight the drone would have right now.  Bet it is in the 50's 800 feet over me...   Lots of changes in the next hour!

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

We had that issue too. By the time we got back to where we started it was dark. I did not want to be on that gnarly dry side of the mtn where cars were left abandoned after driving off a cliff, after dark.

I have been to Hana 3 times.  The real adventure is continuing past Hana and going all the way around.  It's not recommended but can be done.  If you think the road to Hana is scary the road past it is crazy.

Also went to Hana once and got stuck in a major rain storm.  12" in 12".  Hana got cut off and we had to stay there without electricity.  Road opened 2 days later after mud slides were cleared.  Best rainstorm I have ever been in.  Amazing!

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

I have been to Hana 3 times.  The real adventure is continuing past Hana and going all the way around.  It's not recommended but can be done.  If you think the road to Hana is scary the road past it is crazy.

Also went to Hana once and got stuck in a major rain storm.  12" in 12".  Hana got cut off and we had to stay there without electricity.  Road opened 2 days later after mud slides were cleared.  Best rainstorm I have ever been in.  Amazing!

That's what we did. Go all the way around as it was getting dark. Pretty crazy lol. That rain must have been sick. Epic waterfalls after.

Archived