Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

WxBlue.   Here is a link to the cam!

https://video.nest.com/live/7ato4WcjoY

Nice. Quite a different look down here after we cleared out...getting a lot of shallow convective small Cu popping up and dissipating. It looks like a gentle simmering pot.

http://www.newenglandwx.com/northfield-nh/1-sky-cam-4hr-timelapse.htm

2 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

i see mets on twitter pimping it. one of them got angry and blocked me after i criticized the "rule" 

Rules and long range forecasting. :lol:   I'll have to look. I'm not surprised you got blocked. I find the long range guys full of egos who get angry and butthurt all the time. 

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Rules and long range forecasting. :lol:   I'll have to look. I'm not surprised you got blocked. I find the long range guys full of egos who get angry and butthurt all the time. 

Same here. They're also hard to call out when they're wrong because long-range stuff is not easy to verify due to vagueness and the fact all of us have short attention span. I don't have the energy to track smaller features and following "rules" for two weeks until it's go time and they're already talking about the next thing by the time we're finally at present time. I'm happy with ensembles up to 7 days out, checking oscillations, and reading posts from some of our long-range guys on here who are using proven methods.  

3 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Same here. They're alsgrowingto call out when they're wrong because long-range stuff is not easy to verify due to vagueness and the fact all of us have short attention span. I don't have the energy to track smaller features and following "rules" for two weeks until it's go time and they're already talking about the next thing by the time we're finally at present time.

Often there is a financial And personal  incentive to keep the Perception Of   "Growing validity"  Regarding LR Forecasting.

37 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Often there is a financial And personal  incentive to keep the Perception Of   "Growing validity"  Regarding LR Forecasting.

Well that's where the egos can come in.  There is a lot of money to be made or lost in that game. So, I do understand where some of it comes from. But, this is a humbling industry. One piece  of caution. Those that claim they have all the answers, or the smoking gun to figure everything out, are also blowing smoke up your behind. 

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

REmember it well, My bros last high school football game in drenching catpaws on the coast

If I had made a zoomed-in map of SNE for that storm, it would have some crazy gradients. There was a sick gradient in NW RI and up into E MA as well between 128 and 495.

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Maybe we can get a repeat of Thanksgiving 1971:

November1971snowfall.PNG

Nice looking storm...man those ALY area totals are pretty crazy for the time of year.  Decent sized area of 20-31" over several counties.  Huge area of warning criteria snows, that's what matters.  Wish we could do something similar soon.

There was an epic deformation band that went from the poconos through ALB area...it's pretty clear in the snow totals. NW of BOS around 128 and just beyond (near where you see that 9.6 total), they got epic paste...there were a lot of power outages in that area. Hopefully they were done with cooking the Turkey by then. The snow was a bit more powdery in ORH so the power outages weren't really an issue there.

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Remember it well, My bros last high school football game in drenching catpaws on the coast

6 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Maybe we can get a repeat of Thanksgiving 1971:

November1971snowfall.PNG

Boy, I remember those epic 0.0" storms in New London (GON).  Oh to get winters like that again.  Oh wait......

Archived