Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I also would say OWD and TAN in MA really tank in ideal conditions. 

I would add CEF to that list as well.

I would agree that SLK would be king in the northeast but BML is a good one in New England.  There's a bunch of sites outside of first order stations though in the NEK, N NH or N ME that I would add if we want to go down that route.

5 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nah that doesn’t bother me. Honestly. Radiation cold is not real , because as soon as sun comes up it’s 65 where they were scraping. This is real cold . Still windy . We run 

True, just like vegetation-fed summer dews aren't reflective of the airmass above.  However, for the battery and oil in my pickup, radiational cold can be very real.  On a bottom-of-winter morning it may be near zero at 500', but it's still -25 where the vehicle lives.

No radiation last night - temps leveled off then wiggled between 17-19 last evening, did not get much colder overnight, and it's breezy out there today, though nothing like yesterday.  If the clouds and wind stay away tonight, we should cool down to current dews, mid singles.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

True, just like vegetation-fed summer dews aren't reflective of the airmass above.  However, for the battery and oil in my pickup, radiational cold can be very real.  On a bottom-of-winter morning it may be near zero at 500', but it's still -25 where the vehicle lives.

No radiation last night - temps leveled off then wiggled between 17-19 last evening, did not get much colder overnight, and it's breezy out there today, though nothing like yesterday.  If the clouds and wind stay away tonight, we should cool down to current dews, mid singles.

I think HP will be overhead tonight so we probably crack into single digits or dam close to it, Overnight here last night made it to 19°F but it stayed pretty breezy all night and still is now with some gust in the 20's

When I moved to Concord MA 24 years ago, the old-timers talked about skating and sledding before Thanksgiving. They talked about it as if it happened regularly. I doubt the historical record supports. It's like my son will be able to say, "I skied Wachusett top to bottom on natural snow in October when I was a kid." It happened once (2011) - as I get older, I realize memories are funny that way.

4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Dude, you there is no logic anywhere in this post above - flawed everywhere.... Shows a distinct lack of understanding as to the rudimentary facts and behaviors of the natural world.  About all this shows is valid sentence structure and enough of a command for English to communicate - unfortunately, ...you are clearly doing so from a perspective steeped in ignorance and faux understanding where there is any at all.

-20 F air there -->  +20 F here = modification.  Period.  Stop responding

Please don't silence me.

Airmasses are never as cold here as in Nunavut or wherever they come from in arctic outbreaks. That's mostly a result of climo and sun angle, not really modification.

Your original argument was that the airmass modified due to lack of snow cover. Yet Canadian snow cover is at record high levels for the date. So how is that an argument?

Also, does a modified airmass really set record lows across the board?

16 minutes ago, nzucker said:

Please don't silence me.

Airmasses are never as cold here as in Nunavut or wherever they come from in arctic outbreaks. That's mostly a result of climo and sun angle, not really modification.

Your original argument was that the airmass modified due to lack of snow cover. Yet Canadian snow cover is at record high levels for the date. So how is that an argument?

Also, does a modified airmass really set record lows across the board?

Pretty much without exception all air masses arrive here modified, because as you say they no longer support the temps seen in the Arctic. In that sense Tip is right.

But there are certainly examples you point out that are more favorable for minimum modification. A north shot of cold vs. a west one coming across the open Great Lakes (those pump out a lot of latent heat this time of year and that only supports the picnic table snow depth). In that sense you are right.

1 minute ago, nzucker said:

Please don't silence me.

Airmasses are never as cold here as in Nunavut or wherever they come from in arctic outbreaks. 1 ...That's mostly a result of climo and sun angle, not really modification.

Your original argument was that the airmass modified due to lack of snow cover. 2..Yet Canadian snow cover is at record high levels for the date. So how is that an argument?

3..Also, does a modified airmass really set record lows across the board?

You need to stop posting about this subject matter - there is no grand intent to "silence you"   ...

1.. precisely wrong as it relates to the context of the original post, which discussed where the air mass CAME FROM ... the fact that it CAME FROM THERE and was longer as cold when it got here IS MODIFICATION  ... It was cold... it came here LESS COLD.  Not entirely clear why such a simple concept fails to penetrate your mind, yet you persist with this obstinate and incorrect retorting position - 

whatever who cares

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

14F here.  Big bust as wind never died off and we had some flurries in the air off and on.  

Similar to what we had a deer camp. We are really exposed to the northwest and the winds never died last night. Little dusting of snow overnight too. At home, a less favorable spot for wind, the low was 10F. 

Just had first that I can remember.

MHT just went 3SM BKN004 with a temp/dew of 54/54. We called and asked what was going on, and they thought another airport manually entered an ob and accidentally changed MHT.

Sure enough, MHR (in CA near SAC) has some central valley fog and BKN004 ceilings, current temp 54. 

28 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Similar to what we had a deer camp. We are really exposed to the northwest and the winds never died last night. Little dusting of snow overnight too. At home, a less favorable spot for wind, the low was 10F. 

I bet we go low tonight...single digits.  

Despite full sunshine we are struggling to get past the mid-20s this afternoon.  

26F at MVL at 2pm...exactly what my car just said as I drove past the ASOS on RT 100.  Nice to see the car is in the ballpark temp wise lol.

Archived