Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This entire ordeal is attributable to the -EPO we just transpired through.  A month from now, this would have (likely) resulted a week of this sort of air mass, book ended with a couple of stormy lolly-pops at that.  And probably colder than this, too. As chilly as this is, ...it's modified over that source-origin by a goodly margin. Particularly down here in SNE...

In any case, I rather like the sort of .. holistic implications for winter having this sort of hemispheric cold success this early in the season.  If you hated winter and don't want it, you should be uneasy. It's not a guarantee ...no.  It just seems like it might mean more than it actually does. 

30/1 Plymouth

28/7 Sandwich

Today the wind gusted to around 30mph a good chunk of our daylight hours. We kept the adventure park open and had some hearty climbers.

Though, as a Supervisor I have to facepalm when my monitors show up in jeans and sneakers, and one even showed up in a shortsleeve shirt. I had to tell them they still had to do their job even though they were not dressed appropriately for the weather conditions. I made sure to rotate everyone in and out of the heated yurt. Seriously though, they are all adults and yet can't seem to dress correctly for an outside job. I was peeved.

3 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Would be nice if we didn't have the winds. Then you'd see some real free fall with lots of teens across SNE already.

It'd be funny if winds don't die down and this record breaking airmass ends up as a bush league 40s for highs with some upper 10s/low 20s for mins.

53 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This entire ordeal is attributable to the -EPO we just transpired through.  A month from now, this would have (likely) resulted a week of this sort of air mass, book ended with a couple of stormy lolly-pops at that.  And probably colder than this, too. As chilly as this is, ...it's modified over that source-origin by a goodly margin. Particularly down here in SNE...

In any case, I rather like the sort of .. holistic implications for winter having this sort of hemispheric cold success this early in the season.  If you hated winter and don't want it, you should be uneasy. It's not a guarantee ...no.  It just seems like it might mean more than it actually does. 

It's not really modified, most places will set record lows tonight. How is this modified?

It's early November, not mid December.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That wouldn’t be real arctic cold. That would be radiating which is not cold 

You can have both you know.

When MWN is breaking records it's arctic cold. If you can radiate on top of that it's a bonus...and that's how the non-elevation sites break most of their records. A faux cold airmass with chilly radiating mins usually isn't enough to do it.

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I enjoy the winds. It makes it man cold. Calm winds with the ambient temp of 18 with the smell of rotting leaves is fake cold. I'll still go out in shorts to dump the trash. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

lol... you are pretty ridiculous at times. 

When you have -10C to -20C at 4,000ft over New England, you can maximize that air mass with some radiating.

No better way to run a cold shot than a day like today with 18F during the afternoon and gusty winds, followed by clear and calm skies to really bottom it out overnight. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I enjoy the winds. It makes it man cold. Calm winds with the ambient temp of 18 with the smell of rotting leaves is fake cold. I'll still go out in shorts to dump the trash. 

Do the windy cold during the day, bottom it out at night.  I'd rather wake up to 18F with woodsmoke smell and freezing fog riming the trees along the river, rather than 28F with a 4G8 wind ob.

I guess to see which one is colder would be to compare the wind chill with the possible ambient temperature on a clear/calm night.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Do the windy cold during the day, bottom it out at night.  I'd rather wake up to 18F with woodsmoke smell and freezing fog riming the trees along the river, rather than 28F with a 4G8 wind ob.

I guess to see which one is colder would be to compare the wind chill with the possible ambient temperature on a clear/calm night.

It's obviously subjective with a little fun....but that is a rarity around here :lol:  Just a local climate thing. I remember the best example of what you describe up in the Bartlett area of NH in '94. Pretty sure we hit -25 or colder that night. We went out that morning to feel the cold. No cars started and it hurt to breathe.  That was impressive. 

23 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

The everglades might be the most disgusting thing I've ever flown over.  Just a big sewer as far as the eye can see.

It's quite a sight from the ground. I rode a bike for 15 miles through it and enjoyed it.

We're still dropping at DAW. Down to 21 now.

Archived