• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
GOES-16 to be moved to new orbit

As far as I understand from the internet, GOES-16 will be temporarily out of service from Nov. 30th to Dec. 11th as it moves to the GOES-E position. I wonder how the different web sites offering this information will deal with this outage and subsequent new angle. GOES-16 will see the world at a different angle, so eventually the College of Dupage web site will not be able to offer much in the way of West-US zoom-in areas. I wonder if the newly established GOES-E will have 1-minute time-resolution windows for places such as Central America and South America, or offshore from these areas.

Wikipedia:

On 30 November 2017, GOES-16 is scheduled to begin a drift maneuver to move from its current checkout location at 89.5°W to the GOES-East position at 75°W, arriving there on 11 December.[6] After a calibration period, the satellite will resume operations as GOES-East.[6] The current GOES-East satellite, GOES-13, will then begin a move on 2 January to the storage location at 60°W, arriving on 22 January.

Archived