Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2017-18 Medium/Long Range Disco

Hoosier

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

You are absolutely right, but after the past two winters, I'm ready to roll the dice on a chance at the big dog.

I'd love to roll the dice, except out here, our odds are better than yours I'd say. The odds we end up on the cold side of a SW system are much higher than NE IN. What would really be nice is an E-W CO low. Although, we trade our odds at slightly lower clipper chances. But like you, I'll take almost anything other than this.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

I'd love to roll the dice, except out here, our odds are better than yours I'd say. The odds we end up on the cold side of a SW system are much higher than NE IN. What would really be nice is an E-W CO low. Although, we trade our odds at slightly lower clipper chances. But like you, I'll take almost anything other than this.

Yep, your chances are a lot better than mine on being on the right side of a cutter. A spread the wealth bowling ball would be nice, but that's not happening with this pattern.

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

You are absolutely right, but after the past two winters, I'm ready to roll the dice on a chance at the big dog.

Ha! So much for my clipper wishcast, IND just threw rain in the mix for Monday lol!  IWX calls for snow showers.  Being a mile south, pretty much right on the line between the 2 AFD's let the "I'll pick the one I want" days of winter begin:weenie: 

12 hours ago, Jonger said:

I don't even look at the Euro anymore. The GFS does a good job and it's far more detailed and longer range.

At least without looking all over the dark web for content.

This is what your reliable model is showing. Merry Christmas!

198AC4F2-0F45-4F98-A4FA-A942E18B051E.png

3 hours ago, buckeye said:

Oh good, ill be coming home from the Bahamas at that time.  At least I won't have to worry about that annoying "shock to the system," cold when I get back.

Would mean mid 60’s around most of the sub. It was mid 60’s a week ago - history will repeat itself... maybe just in time for Christmas haha.

5 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

And the 6z is about 50 degrees colder at that same timeframe as depicted above. Why are we discussing 300+ he gfs lol

Because Jonger said he doesn't even look at the Euro, only the GFS. That was a proof that the GFS is subject to wild run to run changes, more so than the Euro.

12 hours ago, Harry Perry said:

Excited for the persistant trough to relax... but feel with that would come 35-50° maxes with heavy rain and thunder and a dusting after Fropa followed by a week of cold/dry conditions. 

But it does open the door for some possible GHD 1 & 2 type of action.

Now don't set the bar so low.

TBH, I'm not seeing any sort of trend that shies away from this northern stream dominance. In which case its gonna take another massive trough to push it further south, and if its anything like this current trough that did just that, people west of the lakes shouldn't expect much, if at all. However if we don't get this scenario, the next most likely is just ripping zonal flow over the US/CAN border, in which case, can we at least have a big warm sector party?

6 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

TBH, I'm not seeing any sort of trend that shies away from this northern stream dominance. In which case its gonna take another massive trough to push it further south, and if its anything like this current trough that did just that, people west of the lakes shouldn't expect much, if at all. However if we don't get this scenario, the next most likely is just ripping zonal flow over the US/CAN border, in which case, can we at least have a big warm sector party?

I'm usually a fan of these clipper type patterns, but this one has been pretty disappointing for areas west of the lakes.  Hopefully the last 1/3 of Dec throws us westerners a bone.

44 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

I'm usually a fan of these clipper type patterns, but this one has been pretty disappointing for areas west of the lakes.  Hopefully the last 1/3 of Dec throws us westerners a bone.

Agree.. would be nice for something to set up over the Rockies with pacific energy and push west. A nice spread-the-wealth event is hard to come by in this pattern. 

Several clippers still on the horizon so hopefully everyone in the sub can get a DAB.

Archived