SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2017-18 Medium/Long Range Disco

Hoosier

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pattern looks to become more active with several potential hybrid clipper/Pacific waves on the horizon...but now the worry could shift to temps, as the arctic air won't be as entrenched as it appeared a few days ago, and milder air gets drawn north ahead of each wave.  There could be mixing/rain concerns at times, especially south of about 42N.  Obviously too early to pin this down.  

With that said...GEFS showing around 0.5"-1.0" of liquid for much of the Midwest over the next 10 days.  Nothing spectacular, but it may finally begin to look & feel like Winter for a little while.

2 hours ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Oooh, the 00z euro was nice. Gimme.

Saw a glimpse of 12z Euro snow map in Mid Atlantic forum...and unfortunately it’s fairly dry for the 1st system. Most areas in the Midwest are less than 0.2” of liquid through day 5. Kind of disappointing. 

Or, are you talking about days 6-10...

"AngrySummons" will bash me for being a sucker but what the heck...the trend of 120--240hrs being so far off has to break sooner or later.

Sign me up for the last two GFS runs in the next 10days for SW Ohio...it seems to me these types of wave scenarios often surprise when they aren't showing it ...meaning right now, looks like the Tues/Weds (second wave) has very nice potential but it may end up the first round (Sat/Sun) which turns out to be the bigger event (FWIW).

Something to track, another likely disappointment...keeping the dream alive.

Forget watching individual models every 6-12 hrs. If we get into a pattern where the baroclinic line lays out across a particular area there are numerous pacific impulses expected to ride that NW flow. Very difficult for models to time and catch days out. But these can produce, though admittedly many have been disappointments so far this season. But I can see several rounds of 1-4" snowfalls traversing the area over the next 7-10 days. Beyond that, I could see a larger gulf moisture induced storm that pulls the mother lode of cold air in. Thereafter, suppression maybe the problem.

2 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Pattern looks to become more active with several potential hybrid clipper/Pacific waves on the horizon...but now the worry could shift to temps, as the arctic air won't be as entrenched as it appeared a few days ago, and milder air gets drawn north ahead of each wave.  There could be mixing/rain concerns at times, especially south of about 42N.  Obviously too early to pin this down.  

With that said...GEFS showing around 0.5"-1.0" of liquid for much of the Midwest over the next 10 days.  Nothing spectacular, but it may finally begin to look & feel like Winter for a little while.

This *should* be a better regime for us in Chicago metro than what December produced.  Just gotta keep expectations in check.  It's always better to have multiple chances instead of having to rely on one, hence my comment in the banter thread about this being a throw stuff at the wall pattern.

54 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

LONG way out and first things first, but that's a lot of warmth coming east on the ensembles around mid month.

I would say that it is about 10 days early but I do think the back end of the month, after say the 23rd has the potential to be warm in the East as the MJO should continue to progress in favorable phases for warmth.

1 minute ago, pondo1000 said:

His morning update basically says he has put all of his eggs in the GFS basket so he's not believing the European right now. Uh oh................

Yea I saw that too.   I have to admit, when he goes through his evidence and supporting arguments, he does make a good case.   We'll see. 

Just now, buckeye said:

Yea I saw that too.   I have to admit, when he goes through his evidence and supporting arguments, he does make a good case.   We'll see. 

Actually, you should read Don Sutherland's Feb thoughts in the NYC forum.   He's really bullish, and that's for the eastcoast, which would obviously support cold here.   I would put DS over the euro and JB every single time.   He's got a great track record.

The EPS evolution to a rapid pattern breakdown looks rushed. EPS has been too fast with pattern changes this season and too aggressive with putting negative height anomalies up by AK. Even during the 2nd half of January overall mildness, there was Aleutian ridging/-WPO. A good example of EPS being too quick with pattern changes was when it completely missed the cold shot (accompanied by the long duration snow event) in January after the initial thaw. EPS forecasts less than 1 week out had that period as a torch.

GEFS makes more sense with a gradual transition to more of a +PNA pattern and a diminishing magnitude -EPO. Interesting to note too that the GEFS trends toward a pretty deeply negative AO and even a -NAO in the long range. It's had a bias toward too much Arctic and Atlantic blocking this winter and I'm most skeptical on a -NAO, but an at least somewhat negative AO has support from Canadian ensemble.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Actually, you should read Don Sutherland's Feb thoughts in the NYC forum.   He's really bullish, and that's for the eastcoast, which would obviously support cold here.   I would put DS over the euro and JB every single time.   He's got a great track record.

Love DS! I miss his posts on the general forum, although it has been about a month since I looked. I was disappointed when he stopped posting his thoughts on there. 

5 minutes ago, pondo1000 said:

Love DS! I miss his posts on the general forum, although it has been about a month since I looked. I was disappointed when he stopped posting his thoughts on there. 

Just read his post in NYC Forum. He did mention the EPS and it's evolution of a +EPO and that he is not sold on the idea, but that it needs to be watched. 

3 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

The EPS evolution to a rapid pattern breakdown looks rushed. EPS has been too fast with pattern changes this season and too aggressive with putting negative height anomalies up by AK. Even during the 2nd half of January overall mildness, there was Aleutian ridging/-WPO. A good example of EPS being too quick with pattern changes was when it completely missed the cold shot (accompanied by the long duration snow event) in January after the initial thaw. EPS forecasts less than 1 week out had that period as a torch.

GEFS makes more sense with a gradual transition to more of a +PNA pattern and a diminishing magnitude -EPO. Interesting to note too that the GEFS trends toward a pretty deeply negative AO and even a -NAO in the long range. It's had a bias toward too much Arctic and Atlantic blocking this winter and I'm most skeptical on a -NAO, but an at least somewhat negative AO has support from Canadian ensemble.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Would agree here with all of this, I made mention yesterday I believe, that I would be looking for warmth after February 23rd. By that point we should be approaching phase 2 of the MJO as well, give or take a few days.

Archived