• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2017-18 Medium/Long Range Disco

Hoosier

Very nice Euro run overall with big time cold sector QPF. Mid and upper pattern could argue for even a bit west of surface reflection. Would like to see more EPS members shift west with 00z run. Chicago is most definitely still in the game for this storm.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Very nice Euro run overall with big time cold sector QPF. Mid and upper pattern could argue for even a bit west of surface reflection. Would like to see more EPS members shift west with 00z run. Chicago is most definitely still in the game for this storm.

Just speaking in general and not focused on an exact area, that was probably one of the better Euro runs in this sub since GHD.  

Ice threat looking legit too.  Maybe a spread the ice around situation too as the low level cold air starts to bleed in, but then becoming more focused in some corridor if the latest runs are correct.

What's impressive is I count 2 EPS members that don't have a storm with a swath of at least 6" of snow affecting part of the sub Friday-Saturday.  So, 96% of the members show the storm in some form.  The two that miss are a bit too weak/southeast to bring 6" to part of the sub, though one does outside of the sub. 

If I had to guess on this one I'd go with the idea that the euro is too far nw, the gfs is probably a tad too far southeast and the axis of heaviest end up from central IN thru NW OH.   CMH will get screwed and scraped to the nw, central  and southern IN will finally get a well deserved snowstorm, and fcking detroit will yet again score.   :P

38 minutes ago, buckeye said:

If I had to guess on this one I'd go with the idea that the euro is too far nw, the gfs is probably a tad too far southeast and the axis of heaviest end up from central IN thru NW OH.   CMH will get screwed and scraped to the nw, central  and southern IN will finally get a well deserved snowstorm, and fcking detroit will yet again score.   :P

EPS:

ecmwf-ens_z500_mslp_us_6.png

ecmwf-ens_z500_mslp_us_7.png

And crazy Uncle Joe....who crowed about his early identification of the coming "Arcticgeddon"....and lately been harping on the coming 3 week long "Thawgeddon" is now doing some quick backtracking....

Convection pulling back into western Indian Ocean more indicative of phase 2 ( cold for US) and a bust on the Euro which from Jan 1st had this well into phase 3 BOMM as on Jan 6 had strong phase 2 still. Gives credence to renewed strong cold day 6-10

5 hours ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

FWIW, the 06Z GFS shifted east.

It is almost a carbon copy of yesterday's 06Z run.

21 minutes ago, buckeye said:

lol, that would be a scraper to our southeast.     I don't know but the eps always seems to be south and east of the OP on these type of systems.   

The EPS is almost a carbon copy of the 12Z run.

(See what I did there?)

12z GFS shifted the precipitation field west by a solid 100-150 miles. This is nowhere near sorted.
Also anyone else notice the lake effect signal over the western shore for Saturday?
Nice shift west with the 12z GEM as well, including with mass fields. Stronger farther west wave and stronger more negatively tilted coupled upper jet. I've been thinking if the likely big dog unfortunately misses us, then the consolation prize would be a good IL side LES setup. Nice full fetch surface to 850 NNE flow.6796c323d0baca13d3b7f90dddb8d0b5.gif

11 minutes ago, mimillman said:

12z GFS shifted the precipitation field west by a solid 100-150 miles. This is nowhere near sorted.

Also anyone else notice the lake effect signal over the western shore for Saturday?

Pretty standard rule; wound up deep low will pull further NW sheared out weaker further south and east. Been at least a couple years since Chicago area has seen this, and even longer for a true Gulf low to put good snows into Chicago. Would think we want that first storm to be warmer/west for a secondary to put us in the game. Than again my thoughts are purely historical experience.

4 minutes ago, Baum said:

Pretty standard rule; wound up deep low will pull further NW sheared out weaker further south and east. Been at least a couple years since Chicago area has seen this, and even longer for a true Gulf low to put good snows into Chicago. Would think we want that first storm to be warmer/west for a secondary to put us in the game. Than again my thoughts are purely historical experience.

Normally I would agree with you. However, it appears that with this particular set up, the weaker the first storm has been coming in, the more wrapped up/amped the secondary low becomes, pushing it further west.

10 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Nice shift west with the 12z GEM as well, including with mass fields. Stronger farther west wave and stronger more negatively tilted coupled upper jet. I've been thinking if the likely big dog unfortunately misses us, then the consolation prize would be a good IL side LES setup. Nice full fetch surface to 850 NNE flow.6796c323d0baca13d3b7f90dddb8d0b5.gif

Very much agree regarding the consolation prize. However, would be nice to get the synoptic snow and the lake enhancement that comes with it :P

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

lol, that would be a scraper to our southeast.     I don't know but the eps always seems to be south and east of the OP on these type of systems.   

Ensembles will quite often run southeast of the operational run, especially at longer lead times but sometimes closer in as well.

The new GFS and GEM both show the above mentioned vigorous clipper Sunday night/Monday.  Too early to dig into the ratio game, but if the system comes to fruition you'd think we'd have some pretty nice ratios to play with given the thermos.  GFS even indicates a little trailing trowel-like feature which could greatly add to the totals verbatim.  Just has the look of a clipper that could amp up in the final few days as we approach.  Hope trends continue. 

The new GFS and GEM both show the above mentioned vigorous clipper Sunday night/Monday.  Too early to dig into the ratio game, but if the system comes to fruition you'd think we'd have some pretty nice ratios to play with given the thermos.  GFS even indicates a little trailing trowel-like feature which could greatly add to the totals verbatim.  Just has the look of a clipper that could amp up in the final few days as we approach.  Hope trends continue. 

Looks like with the ratios playing a role in it could be a solid advisory event

Sent from my iPhone 8+ using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Central Illinois said:

Looks like with the ratios playing a role in it could be a solid advisory event

Sent from my iPhone 8+ using Tapatalk

Yep.  The models aren't spitting out crazy amounts of precip, but it won't take much of a bump in amounts to get us into the advisory area.  Pretty potent vort, and relatively slow movement so this needs to be watched.

Archived