Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2017-18 Medium/Long Range Disco

Hoosier

45 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Andy lives in Vancouver, he has no vested interest in our weather.

Second, that look for January isn't happening. That was a warmers troll post.

Why couldn't we see a dominant western trough/eastern ridge pattern for January? Seems possible to me especially IF there's a lack of blocking.  Such a pattern wouldn't necessarily be a death sentence for everyone as long as the ridge is held somewhat in check, but would definitely be playing with fire.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Why couldn't we see a dominant western trough/eastern ridge pattern for January? Seems possible to me especially IF there's a lack of blocking.  Such a pattern wouldn't necessarily be a death sentence for everyone as long as the ridge is held somewhat in check, but would definitely be playing with fire.

Because snowmobiling, signed Jonger.

In all seriousness though longer range projections like what IWX posted above are starting to hint at a southeast ridge showing up finally which is a very common theme in Nina winters. As you mentioned though it isn't a kiss of death by any means as some of the most significant storms to hit this region in Nina winters have had the southeast ridge in place to block the system from going up the east coast.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Anyway, some entertainment on the long range GFS.

Awful early but could be another "Grinch" storm around X-Mas.  Regardless looks pretty active, and Stebo is correct, SE ridge is very common for La-Nina winters and also paves the way for some big dogs as well. That also comes with the chance with some torch rain soakers as well, is what it is cant control it so why stress.

I know putting out maps over 200 hrs is really pointless but is something to look forward on the models for consistency sake.

snow1.PNG

37 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Awful early but could be another "Grinch" storm around X-Mas.  Regardless looks pretty active, and Stebo is correct, SE ridge is very common for La-Nina winters and also paves the way for some big dogs as well. That also comes with the chance with some torch rain soakers as well, is what it is cant control it so why stress.

I know putting out maps over 200 hrs is really pointless but is something to look forward on the models for consistency sake.

snow1.PNG

This would/could be some good "system" snow for areas north of Bay City in MI.

5 hours ago, Jonger said:

Andy lives in Vancouver, he has no vested interest in our weather.

Second, that look for January isn't happening. That was a warmers troll post.

lol this again

I have vested interest in severe weather obviously, oh and a good blizzard every now and then...which you won't get in the current regime.

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

I agree that Jan 2006 waa a dumpster fire but that was the most extreme analog in that post. A milder than normal Jan isn't necessarily bad in the north. Definitely pass on a torch tho

Wasn’t there a big rain to snow event in early February in 2006? I think I remember getting nearly a foot in that storm. I thought Detroit got snow too because I think that was the year the Super Bowl was played in Detroit and there was all sorts of hype about the storm.

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

18z GFS continues the theme of a moisture laden system around Christmas, big time snows.

This......we all know the caveats regarding GFS long term prospects.  Having said that, if GFS maintains consistency with storms approaching from the sw rather than our current clipper pattern the Christmas weekend will certainly be interesting.  I am hoping to drive Christmas morning to nw IN from the Indpls area but may have to change plans even though I know timing is not certain this far out.....but consistency of a storm is.

2 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

That is one heck of a GEFS mean. Snow DEPTH too. Period after day 8 or so may get active, I sure hope. I need some compensation from ol' mother nature.

snod.conus.png

Considering the Dakotas and Nebraska are basically bare right now, that is a massive signal that the pattern is going to flip away from NW flow to a W or SW flow but still cold.

10 hours ago, roardog said:

Wasn’t there a big rain to snow event in early February in 2006? I think I remember getting nearly a foot in that storm. I thought Detroit got snow too because I think that was the year the Super Bowl was played in Detroit and there was all sorts of hype about the storm.

We got a few inches with that superbowl storm but nothing major. I mean it is Michigan, even dumpster fires have SOME snow lol. But I do not care to repeat that Jan-Mar 2006. Thanksgiving to Christmas had numerous snowstorms and the rest of winter sucked. But we are getting off track, as I have seen NOTHING suggest that Jan 2018 will be a torch. As others have mentioned, La Nina winters typically are more up and down anyway.

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

We got a few inches with that superbowl storm but nothing major. I mean it is Michigan, even dumpster fires have SOME snow lol. But I do not care to repeat that Jan-Mar 2006. Thanksgiving to Christmas had numerous snowstorms and the rest of winter sucked. But we are getting off track, as I have seen NOTHING suggest that Jan 2018 will be a torch. As others have mentioned, La Nina winters typically are more up and down anyway.

So kind of like last winter?

52 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Euro ensembles continue to screw Jew and tattoo anyone south of I-80, through the 27th. If we record no snow the rest of the month, will be the 3rd time we have recorded a T in the last 4 years, for the entire month of December. 

Not liking this pattern at all. Wet and warm, cold and dry. 

You seem to be sitting just to the SW of the storm track. I read this post and started panicking before I realized how sensitive it is to where you live in the subforum.

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

You seem to be sitting just to the SW of the storm track. I read this post and started panicking before I realized how sensitive it is to where you live in the subforum.

The lakes are going to cash in. And I’m sure michsnowfreak as well, he’s had the hot hand the last few years. I hate complaining I really do, but man these last few winters I even include 2014-2015 despite the frigid February,  have been awful. Enjoy the clipper tonight guys. 

45 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

Looks like a more RNAish pattern starting on the 17th for around a week. Maybe the ducks come together after that, but I am getting sick of "potential" as buckeye would say.

Unfortunately this doesn't look like an Ohio pattern, more of a rest of the subforum pattern. At least at this point.

Archived