• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Massachussetts to move to Atlantic standard time?

Ottawa Blizzard

Unless we are talking about seceding from the Union and joining up with our illustrious Tory family members in the Maritimes, I have mixed feelings. I like the longer daylight and don't mind the dark mornings as much. But there is something to be said when the afternoon goes all rosy and gold a little after 3 on a fresh snow in December. Guess its what we make of it. I start putting the Christmas lights up once Orthodox Advent starts on Nov. 15. Lights everywhere twinkling like stars in the darkest time of the year. A decent compensation for the added hour of early darkness. Anyhow, it will change. That's a guarantee.

9 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Unless we are talking about seceding from the Union and joining up with our illustrious Tory family members in the Maritimes, I have mixed feelings. I like the longer daylight and don't mind the dark mornings as much. But there is something to be said when the afternoon goes all rosy and gold a little after 3 on a fresh snow in December. Guess its what we make of it. I start putting the Christmas lights up once Orthodox Advent starts on Nov. 15. Lights everywhere twinkling like stars in the darkest time of the year. A decent compensation for the added hour of early darkness. Anyhow, it will change. That's a guarantee.

Atlantic time is an hour ahead..no?  So instead of the sun going down at 5 now...you'd be an hour ahead so it would be 6 pm;  and ofcourse you'd be darker in the morning if you were at Atlantic time..especially this time of year/winter.   So I'm confused to why your saying early darkness?  

28 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Atlantic time is an hour ahead..no?  So instead of the sun going down at 5 now...you'd be an hour ahead so it would be 6 pm;  and ofcourse you'd be darker in the morning if you were at Atlantic time..especially this time of year/winter.   So I'm confused to why your saying early darkness?  

I sort of changed midstream it seems. I like the longer days, but when I started thinking about the earlier evenings and the Christmas lights, I decided the earlier dark wasn't so bad. Too stream of consciousness for a Monday morning.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:51 AM, Baroclinic Zone said:

compromise.  go 30 min. and make a new england time zone

Then add the DST shift and pretend we're Newfs.  (Though OSUmetstud cautions against it.)

When we lived in N. Maine and had a snowless early Dec, dark seemed to arrive about 2:30 on cloudy days.

Archived