• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Massachussetts to move to Atlantic standard time?

Ottawa Blizzard

Personally ... mixed emotions.  Not a big fan of fumbling in the dark to get ready for work in the morning when the clock says 6:30 am  That's not a particularly early hour? Not really.. Obvious it is to a college kid on Friday morning... but, for the simmered down mainstream society that's functional and reasonably well adjusted to the pragmatics of mid life, that's a normal rousing time of the morning and I don't like having it seem like it is still the bowels of the night that late into the day.  When we switch the clocks back, it's really as though the light switch to the heavens has been flicked on -

Part of that is because the angle of ascent and descent for the solar trajectory is almost normal to the horizon at this time of year.  When the sun sets... it's sets! None of this 2.2 hours of lingering useful twilight you get in high summer.  The same is true in the mornings... I set out to work around 6:30 AM and stars yet festoon an eerie black sky cast - and this is worse if it is overcast, because it is just black.  It takes about 40 minutes to make the trek to the office, and on clear mornings the tree tops are ablaze in sun-shine by the time I'm walking across the parking lot.  It's that fast!  Total dark, to morning sun in like 25 minutes or something.  In the summer, the eastern horizon sets to a smoldering glow at like ... 4:40 or something on June 20th, but the sun doesn't actually rise for something like an hour later. ...  

The point I'm dancing around, there's really no way around the "daylight management" part of all that.  Moving the clocks forward and backward to match with preferences.... mmm, it'll only help so much.  If we leave the clocks to get the sun and light back in the 6 to 7 AM range, we lose it in the evenings when we want the daylight to linger in the summer.  It almost seems what people really need is a 30 hour day.

What 

13 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Dumb idea put forth by afternoon night shift city people.

I agree it’s a dumb idea but is the rest of your ur post true?   Most folks are nine to fivers but a lot of people arent.   I remember when they kept DST all year in the mid 70s.   Kids waiting for the bus in the dark of night.

Yes we should move to Atlantic time. Mornings are for mourning. I crave my late afternoon light. 

Better yet, we should be GMT -4 during the winter months and GMT -3 during the summer. Sunrises from May - July are way too early and it would be awesome to have daylight to 10-1030 PM in June. Unfortunately, I doubt it will ever happen. 

Bad idea.

Maine had considered it a few years back.  They're far enough East and North to merit a conversation (e.g., sun set in around the solstice in Presque Isle is 3:45).  No where else in NE is.  The fact is that commercially, you'd be dealing with the entire country that's out of synch with you.  That was the primary reason Maine didn't.  It's tough enough having to work with just an hours difference with CT businesses.....4 hours for West Coast commerce?   Very bad idea.

20 hours ago, weathafella said:

What 

I agree it’s a dumb idea but is the rest of your ur post true?   Most folks are nine to fivers but a lot of people arent.   I remember when they kept DST all year in the mid 70s.   Kids waiting for the bus in the dark of night.

Definitely not rural folks who tend to chickens

Archived