Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter 2017/18

AMZ8990

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad about Ober, but they just could not make it to March. NC areas might, but this is a long stretch of well above freezing temps even overnight. Lows are almost summer like. 

Auburn is the victim of NCAA politics. NCAA chased away a Kansas player, who is now pro in Bosnia-Herzegovina. Meanwhile UNC makes up classes and grades. Too big to jail?

Both my schools enjoyed positive turn-arounds the last several days. Kansas and Wichita State are back in the mix to win their conferences. It's a crazy game!

UPDATE: 14!

And the Vols have climbed into a tie w Auburn for a share of first place in the SEC by defeating an MSU team that was 18-1 at home.  UT just needs to win Saturday for a share of the regular season conference championship.  Not bad for a team picked to be 13th.  Now, Auburn has beaten UT so they would hold the top seed in the SEC tournament.  The strat warm is doing its work down in Knoxville.  :lol: 

17 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

And the Vols have climbed into a tie w Auburn for a share of first place in the SEC by defeating an MSU team that was 18-1 at home.  UT just needs to win Saturday for a share of the regular season conference championship.  Not bad for a team picked to be 13th.  Now, Auburn has beaten UT so they would hold the top seed in the SEC tournament.  The strat warm is doing its work down in Knoxville.  :lol: 

Auburn can get beat by anyone right now.

SEC is up in the air. Could be any of the top 4. Big 12 should be either a Kansas or Texas school, possibly even K-State, but I'm not feeling Press (to exhaustion) Virginia. Hopefully the Big 12 is KU because the Big Dance looks like the usual Elite Eight loss.

Wichita State choked hard at home today, blowing a shot at the regular season AAC title. Doubt they redeem themselves in Orlando, and looks like a first weekend (upset) exit from the Big Dance. WSU coach has not heard of calling time-out. Awful.

Brutal. ETSU had it tied at the half.

You know, watching storm systems fall apart on the models inside 7 days reminds me of watching Wichita State blow a lead at home (hosting Cincy) playing for the regular season conference title. I helplessly watch while Cincy hits clutch shots and Wichita State lays bricks. 

Kind of from the main forecast thread, of course reality is all that counts but watching systems fade away on NWP is frustrating. I so agree. March Madness has so many meanings.

I should be happy with one conference championship, Kansas, but yeah I wanted two.

The Bucs had a great year.  When Burrell went down w that ankle....was just tough to watch.  I agree w the announcers when they mentioned that he played above the rim and they just did not have anyone to replace his ability.  

March Madness should be awesome this year.  The craziness has already started.  Hey, did you all see that HS kid intercept that 3/4 court pass, and turn around and one arm it the length of the court for the win?  The other team was just trying to throw it away to kill the clock.  

16 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

GFS says take Kentucky to the Final Four. TROWAL #winning

I don't know, that looked a lot like a Gate City High School state title special.  McClung, Georgetown signee, definitely has a shot to bring home the first basketball state title for the Blue Devils(another blue blood basketball name).

I saw gate city at arbys this year....they play an unusual style of basketball with the guards snow birding on defense around the half court line on defense.  So at times they play 4 vs 5 (and sometimes 3 vs 5) on defense in hopes of the long rebounds, turnovers, quick shot, followed by outlet passes to mcclung for high percentage dunks.  Pretty effective little system at the hs level

That sounds like fun to watch! If the opponent only has 1-2 stars on offense, likely in HS, it should work well.

Oh yes the weather system also looks like a gem for Gates City. Tri Cities too with a little luck. I really want to be in West Virginia for it but we have prior commitments. :(

10 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

That sounds like fun to watch! If the opponent only has 1-2 stars on offense, likely in HS, it should work well.

Oh yes the weather system also looks like a gem for Gates City. Tri Cities too with a little luck. I really want to be in West Virginia for it but we have prior commitments. :(

My thinking exactly, at the hs level you rarely have more than 1-3 high percentage scorers on any given starting five, and so it works to play "long" ball and get high percentage lay ups on the other end, although its risky against highly structured teams that can make you pay for the risky defense.  

6 hours ago, Bango said:

I saw gate city at arbys this year....they play an unusual style of basketball with the guards snow birding on defense around the half court line on defense.  So at times they play 4 vs 5 (and sometimes 3 vs 5) on defense in hopes of the long rebounds, turnovers, quick shot, followed by outlet passes to mcclung for high percentage dunks.  Pretty effective little system at the hs level

Wow.  Not a bad idea.  Almost could do that out of a 1-3-1 zone.  Just have the guy at the top of the defense snowbird once the shot goes up.  Going to file that away for a rainy day.  Hope Gate City brings home some hardware.  McClung is a great player.  Wish I had made it to a game there. 

@Carvers Gap (in response to your weeklies post) you gave me some hope! 

I really hope this Spring features a warmer than average southwest US.  I lead a three week camping and hiking trip there to the National Parks for a local community college and last year was bowling ball after bowling ball. I had 3 pass right over my head (Chaco Canyon, North Rim Grand Canyon, and Bryce Canyon).  Chaco had 34 degrees and torrential rain/ snow mix (May 9), North Rim had snow and 28 degrees at night (May 15), and Bryce had 18 degrees and winds (May 22). I know it's a different world above 8000 feet in some of those places, but even the locals were a little impressed.

Except in Torrey, UT.  There they seemed put off that I didn't expect snow even into July! 

Conversation:

Me (frantically checking Tropical Tidbits when I have service): "Well, looks like this one is moving out, hopefully we can warm up after this."

Torrey, UT man: "What, you don't like it??? It snows in July here sometimes. I moved here for this!!!" 

15 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

@Carvers Gap (in response to your weeklies post) you gave me some hope! 

I really hope this Spring features a warmer than average southwest US.  I lead a three week camping and hiking trip there to the National Parks for a local community college and last year was bowling ball after bowling ball. I had 3 pass right over my head (Chaco Canyon, North Rim Grand Canyon, and Bryce Canyon).  Chaco had 34 degrees and torrential rain/ snow mix (May 9), North Rim had snow and 28 degrees at night (May 15), and Bryce had 18 degrees and winds (May 22). I know it's a different world above 8000 feet in some of those places, but even the locals were a little impressed.

Except in Torrey, UT.  There they seemed put off that I didn't expect snow even into July! 

Conversation:

Me (frantically checking Tropical Tidbits when I have service): "Well, looks like this one is moving out, hopefully we can warm up after this."

Torrey, UT man: "What, you don't like it??? It snows in July here sometimes. I moved here for this!!!" 

I fished on the Firelhole river in Yellowstone NP on June 14 w 5" of snow on the ground in the "valleys"  which are at 8k.  Snow rolled out of the Madison range like a wall. Snowed all night and the next day while I was fishing.  The West at elevation is another world for sure.  Got caught in a hailstorm one time where the temp dropped from the mid 70s into the 40s.   Lightning everywhere.  I "think" the southwest will be warm nicely this spring, but if it goes the way of my final February call...you could wind up w blizzards and all-time record lows.  I think the NE, northern Rockies, Plains, and Midwest look like the slowest areas to warm...upper SE is a toss-up.  Southwest, especially New Mexico and Texas look to warm-up first.  But out there, one good bowling ball can make things a mess.  Last summer, we were in Maine during record temps that hit the 90s and then a stalled low hung-up over our area...had temps in the 50s w high winds and drizzle.  But I like those big swings...pretty interesting to watch.  

Archived