• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter 2017/18

AMZ8990

Nice win by the Vols today over Iowa St.  A traditionally tough place to play.  Great day by the bench.  For a team picked 13th in the SEC, they have played well above that floor.  At 15-5, they have a legitimate shot to go to the Tourney.  But the month of February will decide the decisions in March.  Let’s hope the Vols and the favorite teams of the forum are playing deep into March along with a winter that lasts that long as well.  Would be awesome to be stoking the wood stove while watching the Vols play in the NCAA.  Let us hope basketball and winter madness awaits for all of us!  Dilly. Dilly.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Nice win by the Vols today over Iowa St.  A traditionally tough place to play.  Great day by the bench.  For a team picked 13th in the SEC, they have played well above that floor.  At 15-5, they have a legitimate shot to go to the Tourney.  But the month of February will decide the decisions in March.  Let’s hope the Vols and the favorite teams of the forum are playing deep into March along with a winter that lasts that long as well.  Would be awesome to be stoking the wood stove while watching the Vols play in the NCAA.  Let us hope basketball and winter madness awaits for all of us!  Dilly. Dilly.

15-5,what seed do you think?

I always wondered in conference tourneys why the top teams just don't sit there key players out in basketball,what are you playing for?I mean,you aren't playing for home field advantage are you?Why not let another suck team in your conference win and you make more money for your team and the conference if you have a dysfunctiomal team,who cares?

2 hours ago, Windspeed said:

Great article.  Interesting.  On that note...Virtually every culture contains the story of a flood....I always wonder about the scenario if a meteor or comet hit the ocean, just what would that do.  In the Bible flood story, it also says that waters sprang up from the deep in addition to rains.    I would imagine tsunami activity would be a given and the waves immense if a celestial object plunged into the ocean.  After watching Shoemaker hit Jupiter in several pieces, I have always wondered(obviously less gravitational pull here) if a multiple strike meteteorite impact could happen to Earth.  I suspect humans have witnessed the after effects of a large scale meteor event and that it has been passed down through word of mouth and eventually placed in written text form.  Fin I get a chance today, I will buy it and read it. Atmospheric and geologic sciences are incredibly interesting especially as it relates to anthropology.

Thanks for that Windspeed.  I teach history at a local community college and like Carvers I have an interest in how humans incorporate climate and weather into the stories they tell. Actually beginning a section on the Peopling of the Americas today so can use that! I'm writing a dissertation on European contact (French, Spanish, and English) with societies in the southeast one of the more interesting things I've run across is that the center of buscyon shells were used as necklaces in ceremonial dress as depicted in art. I have no proof of this, yet, but I suspect one of the reason these shell centers became part of what is called the Southeastern Ceremonial Complex is that they look like funnel clouds. This complex seems to have originated in Cahokia near modern St. Louis, so likely plenty of opportunity to see some tornados. 

I terms of floods I've been intrigued by the Doggerland flood, Missoula Floods, and Black Sea "deluge" hypothesis as possibly being witnessed by humans. If you haven't before, look at a map of the sea levels during the last glacial maximum. There was so much land that must have been inhabited that gradually and sometimes quickly was lost.  Of course there's always the eruption of Thera and possible tsunami in the Mediterranean. I've not done much research into Ur (I typically work with much later source material) but one of the first archaeologists to excavate Ur claimed to have evidence of a mega flood of the Mesopotamian region that wiped out the Ubaid culture.  

I know I haven't posted a lot and maybe this is too much too quick (so apologies if so) but it's nice to be able to talk with people who might find some of this interesting. Although I try, my usual classroom audience's response is "but how do I get an A????" 

1 hour ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Thanks for that Windspeed.  I teach history at a local community college and like Carvers I have an interest in how humans incorporate climate and weather into the stories they tell. Actually beginning a section on the Peopling of the Americas today so can use that! I'm writing a dissertation on European contact (French, Spanish, and English) with societies in the southeast one of the more interesting things I've run across is that the center of buscyon shells were used as necklaces in ceremonial dress as depicted in art. I have no proof of this, yet, but I suspect one of the reason these shell centers became part of what is called the Southeastern Ceremonial Complex is that they look like funnel clouds. This complex seems to have originated in Cahokia near modern St. Louis, so likely plenty of opportunity to see some tornados. 

I terms of floods I've been intrigued by the Doggerland flood, Missoula Floods, and Black Sea "deluge" hypothesis as possibly being witnessed by humans. If you haven't before, look at a map of the sea levels during the last glacial maximum. There was so much land that must have been inhabited that gradually and sometimes quickly was lost.  Of course there's always the eruption of Thera and possible tsunami in the Mediterranean. I've not done much research into Ur (I typically work with much later source material) but one of the first archaeologists to excavate Ur claimed to have evidence of a mega flood of the Mesopotamian region that wiped out the Ubaid culture.  

I know I haven't posted a lot and maybe this is too much too quick (so apologies if so) but it's nice to be able to talk with people who might find some of this interesting. Although I try, my usual classroom audience's response is "but how do I get an A????" 

Great post.

Thank you. I will tell myself that's why Kansas always chokes in the Big 12 Tourney. Good point on the economics!

On 2/4/2018 at 1:47 AM, jaxjagman said:

I always wondered in conference tourneys why the top teams just don't sit there key players out in basketball,what are you playing for?I mean,you aren't playing for home field advantage are you?Why not let another suck team in your conference win and you make more money for your team and the conference if you have a dysfunctiomal team,who cares?

However it does not help our Elite Eight disasters. This year we'll be out Round of 32, zero toughness, zero! KU might actually do better farther from home though. Meanwhile Cincinnati is going to win the American Athletic Conference. Wichita State is about as consistent as the GFS!

54 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Thank you. I will tell myself that's why Kansas always chokes in the Big 12 Tourney. Good point on the economics!

However it does not help our Elite Eight disasters. This year we'll be out Round of 32, zero toughness, zero! KU might actually do better farther from home though. Meanwhile Cincinnati is going to win the American Athletic Conference. Wichita State is about as consistent as the GFS!

But the Jayhawks play a good non-conference schedule and have tourney experience.  That pays big dividends in the tourney.  It is just so tough to win the NCAA tourney.  Really, you have to win three, four team tournaments.  I am hoping ETSU gets in...they are really good.  But they are in a one bid league.  So, they have to win the SOCON tourney.  The Vols are about to play a stretch of games that will tell us just how good they are.  The are kind of like a -NAO.  Fun to watch when they make the tourney, but it seems like once in a blue moon.  But they may be good for several seasons to come.  I suspect Kansas finds a way to make a run...you know that always happens when we least expect it. Man, I have won a ton of brackets with Kansas though.  They are recruited and built for the tourney.  This is just preseason for them.

2 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

But the Jayhawks play a good non-conference schedule and have tourney experience.  That pays big dividends in the tourney.  It is just so tough to win the NCAA tourney.  Really, you have to win three, four team tournaments.  I am hoping ETSU gets in...they are really good.  But they are in a one bid league.  So, they have to win the SOCON tourney.  The Vols are about to play a stretch of games that will tell us just how good they are.  The are kind of like a -NAO.  Fun to watch when they make the tourney, but it seems like once in a blue moon.  But they may be good for several seasons to come.  I suspect Kansas finds a way to make a run...you know that always happens when we least expect it. Man, I have won a ton of brackets with Kansas though.  They are recruited and built for the tourney.  This is just preseason for them.

Also excited about ETSU's chances.  I wish they had ended up beating #10 Xavier (a team they led by almost 20 on their court and went cold, losing by 2). They are having a really impressive year.

As for the second bolded part, I think they will remain competitive as long as Forbes is there.  The fly in the ointment will be if he ends up wanting to move along after a few good seasons.  Guy can coach, I don't think his ceiling is mid-major.  I hope we can hang on to him for several more years, it's going to be painful when ETSU loses him...

Space X Falcon Heavy launch from this afternoon.  Never gets old watching a rocket go into space.  Both outer cores landed successfully.  The center core landing camera was cut....was an attempt at three landings of boosters.  Still, a major milestone as a new heavy launch rocket has been successfully tested.  Payload is on its way to Mars orbit(a Tesla).

Space X Falcon Heavy launch from this afternoon.  Never gets old watching a rocket go into space.  Both outer cores landed successfully.  The center core landing camera was cut....was an attempt at three landings of boosters.  Still, a major milestone as a new heavy launch rocket has been successfully tested.  Payload is on its way to Mars orbit(a Tesla).

Amazing stuff... The simultaneous landing of the twin boosters today was brilliant. Also nice there were no issues/damage with the first stage centrifuge landing in the ocean. Here's the dummy spaceman and roadster on its way to Mars:

Evidently the center core ran out of fuel on the way down and did not land on the automated barge, but landed near it w a velocity of 300 mph.  Ooops!  LOL.  Otherwise, an outstanding day for the American space program, part of which is now privatized in Space X w Elon Musk.  The video of the simultaneous outer core landings is just incredible.  American ingenuity at its finest.  Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new heavy lift rocket.  

http://www.cetusnews.com/tech/SpaceX-confirms-it-lost-the-center-core-of-the-Falcon-Heavy.BkEHI6vLM.html

11 minutes ago, Stovepipe said:

I just reserved state park campsites for two trips in March.  I'm sure once I get the camper de-winterized we'll have a March 93 style super storm.  You're welcome.

:guitar:

If we get a March 93 superstorm because of that, then we need to buy a forum camper and de-winterize it every January.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

If we get a March 93 superstorm because of that, then we need to buy a forum camper and de-winterize it every January.  :lol:

I'm in. Also, went to a local brewery and they had a "Troposphere 1.0 IPA". I told them they needed a "Stratosphere" beer in honor of the split.  The crazy looks I got were EPIC

Also I cancelled bal-winter in the face of SSW. I still feel good about that forecast south of I-40, but...

17 hours ago, Stovepipe said:

I just reserved state park campsites for two trips in March.  I'm sure once I get the camper de-winterized we'll have a March 93 style super storm.  You're welcome. :guitar:

Back to NCAA basketball, I just returned from Memphis. Went to watch Wichita State at U. Memphis and visited my storm chasing colleague. While I'm away Tennessee goes into Rupp and upsets Kentucky. Wow! Kansas almost loses at home again, crap. Wichita State has a good contingent at the road game, 1-2 sections. Best of all, WSU won. 

I do not know for sure what the SSW will mean for March (maybe nothing) but I can tell you on the hardwood we are going to have some crazy March Madness!

Archived