• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter 2017/18

AMZ8990

Looks like MRX is gonna bust on high temps again today, esp. Central-North. It’s 25 here in Morristown, 28 in Knoxville, 26 at TRI. This after saying in the morning update that temps were on target to reach the low to mid 30s today in most valley locations??? That didn’t look possible then, much less now. Been a lot of forecast days this winter that have been lower, or even well lower than forecast.

I don’t know what happened to my font size lol 

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jed33 said:

Looks like MRX is gonna bust on high temps again today, esp. Central-North. It’s 25 here in Morristown, 28 in Knoxville, 26 at TRI. This after saying in the morning update that temps were on target to reach the low to mid 30s today in most valley locations??? That didn’t look possible then, much less now. Been a lot of forecast days this winter that have been lower, or even well lower than forecast.

I don’t know what happened to my font size lol 

Yea, well the bust on temps has been nothing compared to the bust on snow!:(

I’m just extremely upset. If you go look at the radar loop for the last 24 hours, there is this hole over the Birmingham area. I don’t understand how the heck that happens. You literally can see a perfectly round hole around the city. Everywhere else it snowed. It’s not natural. 

Touchet, in all seriousness, I'm not laughing at your pain. Our Winter season hasn't exactly been normal here in NETN either. I would have laughed if someone would have told me back in the Fall that I'd only have three inches total for the season after two long duration cold spells. But alas, the pattern has been more beneficial to areas much further west. I am glad to see areas like Memphis, Clarksville, Nashville, and the deep southwest Tennessee Valley having a good year. I just hope our next cold duration, perhaps in February, isn't another polar desert.

There's basically no way we don't end January below normal temp wise. I've had 3 inches of snow to show for it too. 2 of that was today. Everything else was 1/2 inch or less at a time. My normal snowfall at this location and elevation is close to 20 inches. We had a 3 year run where I picked up almost 80 inches so the last two years are the balance. 4 inches last year, the least ever here and 3 this year. At least last year the reason was warmth. This winter it's just ultra dry when it's cold. My 2 inches today had .10 of water. 

Chattanooga had the obligatory dusting nothing more.

I'm not sure whether to live vicariously through North Carolina - or puke!

Welp. At least Kansas beat West Virginia in Morgantown; and, it was our biggest road come-back in 20 years!

I need to re-watch the highlights. Still a good week for me.

Who is left in the southeast without a major snow event vs their climate? 

Maybe parts of middle and East Tennessee, SWVA plus northern Alabama?

All of North Carolina basically has been hit this winter. A lot of South Carolina, most of Georgia, the entire gulf Coast. All of southern Kentucky except for maybe extreme SE Ky. West Tennessee has been pounded too. Even Florida. 

15 minutes ago, John1122 said:

All of North Carolina basically has been hit this winter. A lot of South Carolina, most of Georgia, the entire gulf Coast. All of southern Kentucky except for maybe extreme SE Ky. West Tennessee has been pounded too. Even Florida. 

Most all of Middle TN has seen some amount this season.

16 hours ago, John1122 said:

An inland runner would clean-up most of the missed areas and a good upslope event.  Have a feeling sliders and bowling balls also are in our future.

16 hours ago, John1122 said:

I know northern middle has done well. Wasn't sure about southern and eastern middle. I know Crossville hasn't been hit by what would be a big event based on their climo.

I've had 1.8" here near Lewisburg. I think areas down around Fayetteville and Winchester may be closer to an inch total. N Bama has not done very well either. 

Last night I watched a beautiful snow shield on radar approaching, with a forecast of six inches snowfall. Snow quickly became moderate with a dusting in about 15 minutes. Then it changed to rain, melted everything, and warm air flooded in. Bust! Where you may ask?

Noble Center in Norman Oklahoma hosted the Kansas Oklahoma basketball game. KU outplayed OU and had the game sealed. OU fouled our worst free-throw shooter several times and he went 1/7 at the stripe. Poor guy had the most defeated look on his face. Arguably we were out-coached. Still OU played cheap because KU wins 9/10 games playing straight basketball. 

Remember both stories, the basketball and the snow metaphor, when looking at Day 9-10.

I'm so glad OU got bounced from the BCS final too. OU sportsmanship is worse than trying to get anafrontal snow into Chattanooga!

OK I should end positive. The win at Morgantown felt like getting TROWAL'ed. More of that, please..

The Vols almost had a similar experience against a lesser opponent.  Vanderbilt erased 18pts of a twenty point lead(did this with 14 mins to go in the game)...but the Vols reeled off a quick 5 pts w under two to play.  So, basically we missed 6" worth of snow but managed to garner a bonus 1.5" of snow on a band that redeveloped due to orographic lift.

College basketball is much more interesting than this 10-day weather pattern. Iowa State is a tough venue, but I will pick Tennessee that game. Just be glad you are not going to Press Virginia like Kentucky. Sure WVa is a bit of a paper tiger, but Morgantown is a hostile venue. 

Kansas hosts Texas A&M. If we do not crush them I will consider it a total disaster. Wichita State continues their AAC schedule. Still a few weeks until Wichita State and Cincinnati play their pair of games, but the last one is at Wichita State and could determine the Conference. Back to Kansas, I predict winning the Big 12 by two games.

The real Virginia is the University of Virginia. They play basketball like a machine. I have little interest other than for March bracketology, but Wow!

24 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Somebody really needs to set up a “for fun” bracket group on ESPN when the tourney kicks into gear.  By far, my favorite tournament except maybe Olympic hockey.

I'm in.Auburn is being predicted to be a #4 seed.Haven't seen anything like this since this Charles Barkley era,that's how bad we've sucked in the past.I've been saying for longest we should start a sports thread

19 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

I'm in.Auburn is being predicted to be a #4 seed.Haven't seen anything like this since this Charles Barkley era,that's how bad we've sucked in the past.I've been saying for longest we should start a sports thread

I really like the Round Mound of Rebound....Pearl is a favorite of mine as well.  That man is a master of inbounds, set plays....defensively and offensively.    Auburn will be a four at least.  

58 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

I really like the Round Mound of Rebound....Pearl is a favorite of mine as well.  That man is a master of inbounds, set plays....defensively and offensively.    Auburn will be a four at least.  

Our down fall might be with a big man.Some how Pearl is making it work.How bout Kentucky?A team that has made the final four how many seasons since John Calipari  has been there?They want to get rid of him...seriously?That's hardcore fans at it's best..lol

Speaking of Calipari,his throne in his ass THIS year is how the NBA does in the draft.He gets all these 5-star recruits and they leave one year after.Unlike the NFL, kids can get drafted right out of high school in the NBA.If Kentucky does fire him,he'll have a long list of suitors after him.He's still 15-5....5-3 conference but the turnover to have that record he endures year after year is rather amazing

Kentucky fans need to stop hyperventilating. Calipari is excellent on all levels. Maybe he needs to run them harder and/or sub more in games for bad performance, but he's a keeper. Not my school, but it is obvious.

Also I may be on Banter more then Forecast the next week to 10 days. I have zero interest in an I-40 system that blanks Chattanooga. All it does is create extra work at the office. I will like/thank posts with which I agree.

Archived