• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter 2017/18

AMZ8990

My truck still showed 32 degrees (usually pretty accurate in cold weather) on my drive home from UT to out west.  Didn't notice any slick spots (I drove very carefully) but that is still impressive that it stayed that cold here.

Edit:  Looking at weatherunderground my truck was probably a couple degrees cold.  Still under the forecasted high.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Chattownsnow said:

well maybe Nashville can finally see a decent snow storm out of one of these upcoming storms. haven't they been in an unusually long spell with barely any snow? I seem to remember some posts last year or a couple years ago showing this. You would think they hit one of the two coming up. 

yes, we have but not really getting too excited until perhaps Thursday

I believe it was robust southwest flow, more than usual with ice. 

16 hours ago, John1122 said:

Still trying to figure out what happened early this morning. Elevation usually doesn't hurt me in zr situations because I sit in a bowl even though it's at higher elevation. It was odd that the southern end of the county was at 29 degrees while the northern end was a 34, at the same elevation. SEKy and the northern half of CC warmed quickly. Williamsburg was at 37 degrees while areas due south of it 60 miles south were at 28 at the same elevation.

It was a new thing in my experience here, I don't get many of them weather wise, but currently I'm in two, it's the least snowy period ever recorded here over 13 months and I also saw that rapid warming in a zr situation when I never have saw it scour out of this bowl like that before. It went from 29 to 34 here in 15 minutes.

Winds managed to mix out your cold even in the bowl. Perhaps a we look for Kentucky warming before Alabama in the future to repeat. Usually Bama warms first from the south. I'm quite interested in this as well for work. We all know what happened to Volunteer a few years back; a more typical warming from south to north, Plateau gets stuck. When warmth surges into Kentucky first, perhaps consider the warm nose more. Thoughts? 

At any rate, with some luck, we're working on a TROWAL for you in a few days!

We'll see where she goes from here, but I'm beginning to hate this winter worse than last in my area. At least last winter wasn't a tease. You simply knew it wasn't going to snow for the most part last year. This year it's plenty cold but the models are worse than dart board tossers and nothing works except that in the end it either gets very cold or it rains.

TRI hits 70 today. TRI gets a few inches of snow tomorrow night. Heck Nashville might do the same! Pulling the Denver or Cheyenne special?

Then Kentucky could get several inches of snow, ballin' like when Kentucky and Louisville play a barn burner!

Even though Chatty won't get much, this is going to be a fun storm to watch. Tennessee Valley going all Plains Crazy!

4 hours ago, Stovepipe said:

With all of this talk about a TROWAL affecting weather in the region, some folks may be wondering what this is exactly and how to spot it on model maps.  Here is a textbook example of the feature on the 12z RGEM:

PubK81m.jpg

What can one look for in other products to see this feature?  say forecast soundings or upper level air charts?

37 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Huge ice plume in front of a large cave in NE Campbell Co.  It's around 100 feet tall. 

2018-01-11 20.30.19.jpg

That is very cool!  If you hike the Honey Creek trail (I believe that's the name?) in the Big South Fork in winter you'll see all kinds of neat ice formations like that.  I highly recommend it.

27 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Very interesting, thank you for sharing!

Tree ring science is fascinating.  There is a top-notch tree ring laboratory at UT in the geography department.

http://ltrs.utk.edu/

In grad school I had the pleasure of hearing Dr. Henri Grissino-Mayer speak a few times on the subject and it blew my mind.  It's unreal what kind of information can be gained from detailed tree ring analysis.  I recommend poking around at that site and reading about their research and digging into some of their papers.

Sweet tree ring paper! My buddy in Memphis is doing similar research for U. Memphis and others. Trying to get him to join the forum but @djburnette is his Twitter handle. Oh yeah @nrgjeff is mine, what a surprise, lol! I've tried to get him to join this forum but he's pretty busy, and tweets in fairly good detail. For me, still need the weather forum. Twitter is good for quick updates, but no substitute for longer discussion here. Not competitors, I believe social compliments traditional boards.

Archived