Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter 2017/18

AMZ8990

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

My sister-in-law lives in Eastport.  They are under a blizzard warning.  One day...I am going to race one of these storms to Maine and catch a true blizzard,

Never good to RACE in the snow!  

Good news is .....we don't have that around here so should be smooth sailing for your racing efforts.  haha

Just now, tnweathernut said:

Never good to RACE in the snow!  

Good news is .....we don't have that around here so should be smooth sailing for your racing efforts.  haha

No doubt.  To clarify....My intention would be to get their first, rent the normal vacation cabin on the lake, and settle in.  Yeah, I would be smoked driving in snow in NY state....no easy way around Manhatten on the way to Maine.  Crossing bridges over the Hudson during a blizzard is not my idea of fun.  Talk about white knuckled.  I hate those bridges even during the summer.  LOL.  My luck...the storm would be a miss.  But up there, it snows all of the time.  Yellowstone and Downeast Maine(really Northeast) I am going to visit during winter.  May even throw an ice fishing trip to MN on the bucket list.

Hello everyone, I don’t post here much but I just wanted to remind everyone who’s bummed about not getting much snow that we still have plenty of time. I’ve lived in White House Tennessee since 2006 and one thing I’ve learned is to not expect much snow until mid January or later most years. Last season was the only year that I didn’t get at least a few dustings but obviously we were extremely warm. I remember the 2014/2015 winter as we entered February my wife was bummed thinking winter was over but I told never give up till mid March. By mid February we ended up with tons of snow and ice in middle Tennessee that stayed on the ground for weeks. I ended up with 2 storms of 3 and 5 inches plus a 2 inch clipper that came with temps around 20 degrees. The last snow came in early March and dropped almost 5 inches! That winter started so bad but ended up in my top 4-5 just from snows that fell in mid February. So don’t give up hope yet as we have plenty of winter left. Good luck to all!

7 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Some Euro Ens individual members. These are very bantery of course by their nature but it shows some of the solutions from those low clusters that Carvers posted. Shows that essentially the entire forum has ways to still get something from this.

0000012ens.jpg

000012ens6.jpg

000012ens3.jpg

0000012ens7.jpg

000012ens4.jpg

000012ens2.jpg

I’ll take slide 3 and 6 for $1000, Alex!

12 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Some Euro Ens individual members. These are very bantery of course by their nature but it shows some of the solutions from those low clusters that Carvers posted. Shows that essentially the entire forum has ways to still get something from this.

Hey John, what site are those Euro maps from if you don't mind me asking?

20 minutes ago, John1122 said:

0000012ens.jpg

000012ens6.jpg

000012ens3.jpg

0000012ens7.jpg

000012ens4.jpg

000012ens2.jpg

Those are some awesome totals on just about each of those slides.  Indiana would be buried if that 4th slide panned out.  That's a positive sign though at this range,  glad to see something still showing within 5 days.

39 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

Those are some awesome totals on just about each of those slides.  Indiana would be buried if that 4th slide panned out.  That's a positive sign though at this range,  glad to see something still showing within 5 days.

You're in one of the better spots in the forum as things stand now. 

3 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

Key Words- as things stand now.  Lol.....  I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm on this one.  It does look favorable at this point though, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Believe me, I know there's no remotely sure thing in our region. I just spent 9 days below freezing and only warmed above freezing about 20 minutes before precip finally started reaching the ground after every model showed me getting wintery precip! Around here never count on it until it's happening. 

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

Believe me, I know there's no remotely sure thing in our region. I just spent 9 days below freezing and only warmed above freezing about 20 minutes before precip finally started reaching the ground after every model showed me getting wintery precip! Around here never count on it until it's happening. 

Amen.  It's nice to have something to track inside 5 days for once though.  Your right about the NAM too, it will Be interesting to see what it starts to show once we get inside its wheelhouse.

Still trying to figure out what happened early this morning. Elevation usually doesn't hurt me in zr situations because I sit in a bowl even though it's at higher elevation. It was odd that the southern end of the county was at 29 degrees while the northern end was a 34, at the same elevation. SEKy and the northern half of CC warmed quickly. Williamsburg was at 37 degrees while areas due south of it 60 miles south were at 28 at the same elevation.

It was a new thing in my experience here, I don't get many of them weather wise, but currently I'm in two, it's the least snowy period ever recorded here over 13 months and I also saw that rapid warming in a zr situation when I never have saw it scour out of this bowl like that before. It went from 29 to 34 here in 15 minutes.

Archived