• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter 2017/18

AMZ8990

Yes all of North Georgia is welcome here. In CAD situations the ATL follows the Carolina pattern. Many other times ATL discussion flows better in our region. Northwest Georgia especially lines up well here. I write about northwest Georgia a lot, especially when the action is that way like on Friday.

OK about that 12Z GFS chart.. That noise is more ugly than the Kansas Jayhawks dropping two in a row at home! We'll see how the ensembles go.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Yes all of North Georgia is welcome here. In CAD situations the ATL follows the Carolina pattern. Many other times ATL discussion flows better in our region. Northwest Georgia especially lines up well here. I write about northwest Georgia a lot, especially when the action is that way like on Friday.

OK about that 12Z GFS chart.. That noise is more ugly than the Kansas Jayhawks dropping two in a row at home! We'll see how the ensembles go.

Yeah, CAD situations are the only time we follow the Carolina pattern, sometimes even eastern Alabama if it is a strong set up.  Outside of that, our climate is definitely more in-line with Chattanooga, Huntsville, Nashville, etc.  I look forward to your write-ups.  To be honest, I get tired of reading about Raleigh and Charlotte all the time, 8 and 4 hours away respectively.   It seems north of I-20 and west of I-85 would fit right in here.  Thanks again.

J.C. your welcome any time. I've always thought the current division of the forum regions could use some editing. If I had a say in the division I would add Northern Kentucky, Southern West Virginia, Western North Carolina, Northwest Georgia, and officially add Southwest Virginia. The amount of activity (or lack thereof) in this region would merit an expansion. Not sure the folks in the blue ridge would be fans though! :lol: The name would have to change from Tennessee Valley to Inland South though. From my understanding American Weather had existed for a long time before the current post records kept right now so changing anything would probably be met with opposition. Anyway before the current posts was the site moved?

34 minutes ago, BlunderStorm said:

J.C. your welcome any time. I've always thought the current division of the forum regions could use some editing. If I had a say in the division I would add Northern Kentucky, Southern West Virginia, Western North Carolina, Northwest Georgia, and officially add Southwest Virginia. The amount of activity (or lack thereof) in this region would merit an expansion. Not sure the folks in the blue ridge would be fans though! :lol: The name would have to change from Tennessee Valley to Inland South though. From my understanding American Weather had existed for a long time before the current post records kept right now so changing anything would probably be met with opposition. Anyway before the current posts was the site moved?

Interesting.  Actually we are the Tennessee Valley forum because it is named after the watershed that it covers.   That would include parts of KY.  SW VA is included in that due to the Holston river watershed.   1234snow was with us when moved.  He is also a SW VA member. SW VA has a decent contingent here.  We also have some folks from SE KY and the length southern border area of KY.  The folks in this forum came here out of the SE forum so as to have a place to discuss wx on this side of the Apps.    The SE forum has some great posters and mets.  Outside of the mtns, their wx is different and many are from NC.   Plus, they have many more posters.  They and the Mid-Atlantic are just huge.  Besides, northwest GA fits here really well.  The TN Valley forum does a decent job of discussing the microclimate on the west side of the Apps.  I also think our forum does a good job of staying focused on the wx.  That reduces posts, but one does not have to weed through non-wx posts to find wx posts.  My personal goal is to see the large metro areas of Nashville, Memphis, and Huntsville better represented.  Knoxville and Chattanooga do pretty well with numbers as does NE TN.  Right now, the past two winters have been rough...that reduces participation quite a bit.  I also think the SE forum has cultivated some folks who have gone into meteorology which is pretty cool.  Hopefully one day, we can say the same.  And lastly, if we ever get in the game for a big storm...I would like for us to do a radio show like they do on the eastern seaboard.

1 hour ago, BlunderStorm said:

Thanks!  I just moved back to Atlanta from Columbia, SC, and there is a clear difference from the lee-side of the Appalachians to the west-side.  The climate of the Atlanta area, especially north of I-20 and west of GA-400 definitely aligns more with this region.  Today's weather is just another great example of that.  

Wikipedia has a page labeled "upland south", and it would include most of us, and is exactly what you described.

Upland South

47 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

And lastly, if we ever get in the game for a big storm...I would like for us to do a radio show like they do on the eastern seaboard.

It's interesting that you say this.  I have considered starting a weekly winter weather discussion in the amateur radio realm.  

2 minutes ago, EastKnox said:

It's interesting that you say this.  I have considered starting a weekly winter weather discussion in the amateur radio realm.  

It would be awesome.  Go for it!  Invite some of these posters to join you.  Then, when the big one arrives...we have you to run the platform!  The coastal guys just use an internet radio setup.  They mix it with chat as well for better interaction.  The chat room folks can ask questions that are asked on air.  Also, folks call in.

The caveat for using amateur radio is that anyone talking would have to hold a license or be co-located with someone that has a license.  

I consider myself green in the area or weather analysis and forecasting, so I'd need to find someone with a little more knowledge to join me to keep the dialogue running.  It's easy enough to stream the audio for external listeners and use FB as a channel to take questions (me and a couple of buddies admin the East Tennessee Weather Page). 

So my first question is:  Anyone here already have their amateur radio license?

10 minutes ago, EastKnox said:

The caveat for using amateur radio is that anyone talking would have to hold a license or be co-located with someone that has a license.  

I consider myself green in the area or weather analysis and forecasting, so I'd need to find someone with a little more knowledge to join me to keep the dialogue running.  It's easy enough to stream the audio for external listeners and use FB as a channel to take questions (me and a couple of buddies admin the East Tennessee Weather Page). 

I would just stream it on one of those internet radio sites.  You can reach the entire world.   Buy it by the hour and have at it.  The storm shows work really well (that the east coast guys do) and would require less prep.  Biggest thing is finding an audience.   A weekly show here or even monthly would be a blast. You could do that while you look for some actual air time.   

15 minutes ago, EastKnox said:

I can just about guarantee that a lot of folks on this site would listen once a week or even monthly.  Plenty of great posters who I am sure can gab on the radio.  You could have a LR discussion, medium range,  gardening/outdoors, etc.  Would also depend on how technical that u want it to be?  There is a big difference between the forum and average person just needing a snippet.  A forum show would be awesome.  I would just ask some of the posters from different areas to call in at various times.  

Just wanted to say I have missed some of our "regular" and non-regular posters lately.  I hope Mr. Bob, Jax, dwagner88, Olhausen, Reb, Mr. Wolf, rbowman, greyhound, wurbus, powellvolz, east knox, runman292, JayCee, Jed33, BNAwx, Vol4Life, tellicowx1 and many others are doing ok.  Stop by and see us sometime. 

I am sure many will come out of hibernation when a widespread snow is on the doorstep, but drop in to let us know you are still alive and well occasionally! 

Maybe we could do better giving the forum an inclusive feel. Our higher level of technical discussion is a blessing, but we do not want scare off new posters. If all else fails, one can start in obs. Always need more ground truth. Micro-climates are another great starting point. Believe me, nobody knows the entire forum geography. Fill us in!

Definitely like seeing Mid South posts, from Arkansas and Mississippi up to Kentucky and southern Illinois. Southwest Virginia is certainly part of this region, per the Tennessee River Tributaries. North Alabama is also part of the Tennessee Valley.

Radio sounds like fun but I'm not sure I could commit to it. Twitter is an option for short thoughts. However it's no substitute for this forum. Don't let social media cannibalize this forum. They should compliment each other. Forum is the place for details, charts and discussions.

I'm not as in tuned with the the in-depth ensemble analysis, but I definitely look at all of the operational every day of the week.  I certainly appreciate all the information on this board though.  I'm excited about reading the in depth analysis of the region west of the mountains for a change.

Glad to be lurking again...always fun to follow during the winter, tracking potential storms. Looking like Christmas may be interesting?? Still a long ways out.

Jeff mentioned about the level of commitment for some type of radio broadcast, which is very true....but, what about a weekly Periscope or an as-needed Periscope during an event? For the Vol fans here, these past few weeks have been wild...I've watched Tony Basilio from Knoxville do a number of Periscope broadcasts on an "emergency" basis during this coach search. I don't think its difficult to setup....just a thought.

Here's to an eventful winter for our forum!

2 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Did you see the clown map in the SE forum?  3’ for Atlanta.  3’....3’. LOL.  I am going to screen shot that run as THE benchmark for what we call an exceptional run.  It may never be topped.  Ever.

I just saw it, my lord......

We may never see a run like that again.

27 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

I think the 18z GFS broke AmWx.

28 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

I think the 18z GFS broke AmWx.

I was thinking the same thing, I was in the process of writing you back from your original post in the winter spec thread when it went down.  Maybe that's s a sign Carver, whether good or bad I don't know. Lol

21 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

I was thinking the same thing, I was in the process of writing you back from your original post in the winter spec thread when it went down.  Maybe that's s a sign Carver, whether good or bad I don't know. Lol

Man, no lie, it started sleeting at my house during that run.  It is a sign.  LOL!

1 minute ago, BlunderStorm said:

That run had everything...Rain, Snow, Sleet, and Freezing Rain. Just imagine the roads, especially in the Southeast. I would take rain over freezing rain any day!

Yeah, I tend to agree with you on that one.  Sleet/snow is a monster on its own.  If you add freezzing rain to the mix then things get serious REAL QUICK!

51 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

Yeah, I tend to agree with you on that one.  Sleet/snow is a monster on its own.  If you add freezzing rain to the mix then things get serious REAL QUICK!

This one will be fun to track for sure.  If that cold is as widespread as it is showing, everyone has a chance to see something.

Archived